Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Steel go with Kirk, Ti...Moots.

Little Paceline humor ( emphasis on little ).

Good luck!!!
Oh trust me, if I had the option, I would stamp the plate with something (is this a business idea?)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 PM

As for the surgery questions, I'm a big proponent of removable implants. Plates and screws are great until you get back into race shape, lean out, and then the hardware starts to become an irritant. I shattered my left collarbone into eight pieces and opted for a removable screw. Great decision. It's a trade off between slightly longer healing time and a second minor surgery to remove the rod in the doctors office, and a bit shorter healing time and a major surgery to remove screws and plates.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

My collar bone break left it in three pieces. It healed in the 'classic' bayonnet fashion. So I gots a slight z-shape where one end kinda grew back above the other. Works fine tho. A few years before that break, I managed to crash in a race get a 2nd degree shoulder separation on that same side. I have lots more trouble out of that, since I never had the shoulder surgically 'tightened up'. It's not a big deal, but that side seems to get tired a bit sooner than the right shoulder.

When you can, get back on the trainer and just ride one handed. It'll help your mind and the healing process.

Mike in AR
Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 PM

I broke a clavicle into 6 pieces in early November. I had it plated more or less end to end. I was riding a trainer one handed at about 2weeks with some discomfort, and a few weeks after that was able to work pretty hard on rollers if I wanted to. I waited for an X-ray that showed real bone development before I started riding on the road, which in my case took a few months. Almost 5 months out I'm now doing whatever I want on the road and a bit of more-careful-than-usual trail riding. I have some numbness and tension and the plate feels (and looks) pretty weird sometimes, but I'm happy with how things are going. One suggestion: if you really want to do what you can to preserve fitness while you heal and aren't used to putting in time on a trainer, a smart trainer and Zwift subscription can make it a lot easier. I sucked it up and bought a KICKR and it made it a lot easier to suffer inside.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

I went with stainless, doc didn't give me a choice but I did ask him why he didn't put some Ti in and he looked at me weird.

You should get a kickr because not only is awesome but it is the best for 1 handed workouts since you can put it on erg mode and just let it switch resistance for ya.