Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Build Advice For '85 Merckx Frame

This spring I'm building up a 1985 mint condition orange Merckx frame. It has been professionally refinished and painted, and looks amazing.

From the date code stamp on the bottom we have determined it is a 1985 SLX frame.

Here's the question: I have a beautiful condition first generation complete C Record groupset with non aero / aero brake levers, friction shifting, 32 hole hubs, and all of the great engraved parts too. .... (i'm ducking here).....is it just morally wrong to put this groupset on it, knowing that most first generation parts didn't go on bikes until '86 or so?

I have no idea, and can't find an old 1985 catalog for the Merckx bikes, but know that Super Record parts were made until 1987, and C Record parts sort of came out initially in 1985.

So, having only a few Super Record parts that would work, should I just be patient and put on all Super Record, or just go with a C Record build up that would be Eroica Ok but not "historically build correct"?

Back in the mid 1980's my only experience with C Record was from the pages of Winning and Bicycling Magazine, so my experience from then is limited.

While I mostly ride vintage steel bikes, but have no Eroica experience and no experience in setting up a 100% period correct bike. Thanks for any help!