Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 07:52 AM

Wash with other stuff on normal cycle. Hang dry instead of the dryer.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:17 AM

Wow, onto the third page about washing clothes and the thread was only started last evening. Not sure what that says about us...

For a long time I was "in with everything else" on cold, allergy free detergent, normal cycle. Occasionally a separate load with sports detergent (using Nathan's currently, have used Penguin and my favorite to which I'll return is Win.

Always to dry. More recently I've started using laundry bags.

I use minimizing water use as a rationale for my closetful of tights, 3/4 bibs, base layers, LS fleece jerseys, LS sunblock jerseys and SS jerseys. Don't need to wash so often if you have a lot (but I do let anything I've worn dry on a rack if it's not getting washed right away).
Old 03-20-2024, 11:44 AM

I'm in the "in with everything else" on cold, allergy free detergent, normal cycle plan.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
I use minimizing water use as a rationale for my closetful of tights, 3/4 bibs, base layers, LS fleece jerseys, LS sunblock jerseys and SS jerseys. Don't need to wash so often if you have a lot (but I do let anything I've worn dry on a rack if it's not getting washed right away).
+1 It took a while to purchase enough kit for this to work, however, worn kit accumulates on rack until there is enough for full wash load. Wash in garment bags and air dry on rack. Use a trainer fan to speed air dry time if in a hurry.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:38 PM

I do it all by hand in a plastic bucket with woolite unscented. No spin cycles no dryer. Light squeezes and hang to dry over the bucket.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Wash with other stuff on normal cycle. Hang dry instead of the dryer.
Yeah, if the clothes can withstand riding for hours, in heat, and salt-laden sweat, and at least with the bibs, all of the associated saddle rubbing, they should be able to handle 30 minutes in a washing machine afterwards. I do run cycling stuff separately, because I usually cycle 3-4 pairs of bibs, plus same number of jerseys and base layers -- so enough for it's own load, and then I don't need to separate for dryer/hang dry afterwards.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:49 PM

Kits inside out, delicate wash with unscented detergent and hang dry
Old 03-20-2024, 05:01 PM

I use Persil detergent that works with enzymes that helps get rid of odours. The other product that works well is this
https://www.gearaid.com/products/rev...nt=28044145425 Using the Revivex product really helps get rid of any smell in your cycling kits.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:10 PM

According to Chatgpt (truncated a bit)

Separate: Separate your cycling clothes from your regular laundry. This helps prevent damage...

Turn Inside Out: ...

Use Mild Detergent: Opt for a mild, liquid detergent specifically formulated for sports or technical fabrics. Avoid using fabric softeners or bleach, as they can damage the fabric's moisture-wicking properties and elasticity.

Cold Water Wash: .... cold water is generally sufficient to remove sweat and odor from technical fabrics.

Gentle Cycle: Use the gentle or delicate cycle ... reduces the agitation, which can help prolong the life of your cycling clothes, ..

Avoid Overloading: ...., leading to ineffective cleaning and potential damage to the garments.

Air Dry: ... a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.

Skip Ironing: ......
------------------
I use garment bags for my $$ jerseys & bibs, turn stuff with zippers etc inside out, wash together with regular laundry on permanent press cycle, lukewarm temperature, and dry on racks (been using racks for decades as clothes last longer)
Old 03-20-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBikeChick View Post
Skip Ironing: ......
Wait, no ironing? Dammit
Old 03-20-2024, 07:41 PM

I put my bike clothing in a pillow slip and tie a knot in the end and wash at 30c.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:15 PM
v a n i l l a

bibs, tights in a wash bag
jersey vest jacket inside out
gloves
helmet liner

cold wash

line dry
Old 03-21-2024, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Wait, no ironing? Dammit
Ironing is only for road gear. Doesn't apply to MTB or CX.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post
I throw it in with the rest of my clothes: 40*C, full power spin and hang to dry. Nothing is falling apart but I don't have any delicate, high end kit.
This. I have a set of Rapha bibs which are my "fancy" kit. Otherwise my PI stuff has lasted 5+ years and been completely fine washing with my other clothes on warm and hanging dry.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:50 AM

As with others, the longstanding approach has been to hand wash (a little Woolite) and hang dry, hopefully outside on the line. Most cycling kit dries quite fast enough.

But here in VT, that approach takes longer in the cooler weather. So our new washer and dryer, purchased late last year to replace the ones we got two and a half decades of loyal use from ( ) , have been eye openers, a Miele W/D set up. Both have finely tuned-to-material cycles that work nicely, and the dryer operates on a heat pump to extract water (no vent). I’m sure there are solid competitors out there, but these are really good.

But in the end, it looks like a lot of approaches work just fine for this diverse cycling crowd.