Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
But it runs out, it doesn't deliver you to where you wanted to be in the first place.
Agreed. By and large it's a Band-Aid that rarely targets the source.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
There are probably four at most who make a living in the states. And by that, I mean enough to span a year not a season. The rest - it's smoke and mirrors, the CX equivalent of chasing the 12K dream as a D3 rider on the road. Sadly, all of this has always been the reality. In Belgium, or Holland, I don't know. Domestically, this is the status quo.

I also have a low opinion of GoFundMe ordeals outside of the medical bill strained, or similar. If anything, it's an act of desperation to, hopefully, span some time. But it runs out, it doesn't deliver you to where you wanted to be in the first place.

I'm shocked Mani doesn't have it all locked down by July. If someone broke a contract or reneged, that's different. But to wait 5-6 weeks before the racing begins, then huh?!
I was referring primarily to the European scene, given she's consistently in the top 10-15 places at worlds. But your point on the domestic scene is some great perspective.

I have a hard time believing someone of her pedigree on the men's side would be throwing out GoFundMes to make a race schedule work.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I have a hard time believing a top ten men's elite cross racer would run into the same funding challenges.

The white patriarchy must be upset she isn't pregnant and in the kitchen.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
There are probably four at most who make a living in the states. And by that, I mean enough to span a year not a season. The rest - it's smoke and mirrors, the CX equivalent of chasing the 12K dream as a D3 rider on the road. Sadly, all of this has always been the reality. In Belgium, or Holland, I don't know. Domestically, this is the status quo.

I also have a low opinion of GoFundMe ordeals outside of the medical bill strained, or similar. If anything, it's an act of desperation to, hopefully, span some time. But it runs out, it doesn't deliver you to where you wanted to be in the first place.

I'm shocked Mani doesn't have it all locked down by July. If someone broke a contract or reneged, that's different. But to wait 5-6 weeks before the racing begins, then huh?!
Has always been the case in Belgium. In 1996 we were offered minimum wage (which was legally required) of 40000 Belgian franc per month, $1300. Then we had to give each month 10000-15000 francs back to the team. And that was the dream. Chasing it was even worse.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Well, away from this forum, 'cross in the US is a teeny, tiny segment and women's cross smaller still..even compared to road racing, which is also tiny in the US. I wish her much luck, regardless of how she tries to get the $.

For others, if you don't like GoFundMe, don't contribute..
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I have a hard time believing a top ten men's elite cross racer would run into the same funding challenges.
I am not sure how true your statement is, I do not follow the availability of funding for professional cyclocross racers. However, the persistent disparity between the popularity (and availability of funding) of male and female sports would certainly make this plausible. Assuming that it is true, what do you think your comment means? Pointing out a disparity between the sexes is easy (sometimes inflammatory), trying to understand why it exists is much more difficult.

Just curious, do you have a larger point? Or are you just pointing out a fact about the differences between the availability of funding for male and female athletes without some kind of larger agenda?

It seems to me that when people say something like this they are usually trying to imply some sort of injustice without doing the work of explaining how it is one. I think that it may be dangerous to just assume that any difference between groups of people is automatically some sort of injustice.

I do hope that she does find a way to fund her dreams.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I have a hard time believing someone of her pedigree on the men's side would be throwing out GoFundMes to make a race schedule work.
agreed. but I don't think it's as simple as just a male vs female thing either.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
agreed. but I don't think it's as simple as just a male vs female thing either.
It's not. See what E-Richie wrote. He's right, and he knows firsthand.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

I'd be more likely to consider these ordeals if they were tax deductible, but most are set up as gifts / donations only. They're not even a loan!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

You could just sign her!

It has clearly been a long, difficult struggle with lots of stuff we don't fully know. But her narrative should fill in some of the pieces.

So, yes, this is a last, desperate effort to salvage her season.

I have contributed. Hopefully enough folks will do that she gets the opportunity to race enough to qualify for French Nationals and Worlds.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well, away from this forum, 'cross in the US is a teeny, tiny segment and women's cross smaller still..even compared to road racing, which is also tiny in the US. I wish her much luck, regardless of how she tries to get the $.

It was more the announcement that he doesn't know someone in a sport he doesn't follow. Uh, yeah. It's like someone saying they don't follow the NBA and don't know who Carmelo Anthony is. Well, of course you wouldn't if you're not following the sport.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:02 AM

The NBA is an enormous business and generates huge revenue. Women's cyclocross is a niche within a niche within a niche. As unfortunate as that is for these great athletes, it's barely above a hobby for all but the very top racers.

I'm guessing that even for the men, funding drops to very minimal levels outside the top 25 riders. I would bet the that the top 25 (possibly less) control 80% of all the real funding in cyclocross. For everyone else it's a labor of love.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I am not sure how true your statement is, I do not follow the availability of funding for professional cyclocross racers. However, the persistent disparity between the popularity (and availability of funding) of male and female sports would certainly make this plausible. Assuming that it is true, what do you think your comment means? Pointing out a disparity between the sexes is easy (sometimes inflammatory), trying to understand why it exists is much more difficult.

Just curious, do you have a larger point? Or are you just pointing out a fact about the differences between the availability of funding for male and female athletes without some kind of larger agenda?

It seems to me that when people say something like this they are usually trying to imply some sort of injustice without doing the work of explaining how it is one. I think that it may be dangerous to just assume that any difference between groups of people is automatically some sort of injustice.

I do hope that she does find a way to fund her dreams.
Just another brick in the wall of the pay and funding gap across men's and women's sports. It ain't just cyclocross.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Off and on over the years, I have worked with a women's "Pro" team. A good friend was the organizer/sportif and pulled together by hook/crook/pocket lint/empty promises a team that competed towards the sharper end of the grid in the domestic women's scene. One, sometimes 2 riders might have received a $5000 salary. Everyone got the use of a bike or 2 and wheels to use, not keep - and travel expenses/entry fees to about 10-15 pinpointed races per year. The meager winnings were split appropriately and the part-time staff got a few dollars and usually swag.

As far as the women on the team, if it wasn't for the financial web created by parents, boyfriends, husbands, full-time (and realllllly flexible) jobs or family members - not one racer would have been able to participate in the junket that was created. The mens side is only slightly better, but the prize list is elevated a bit. Being a niche, within a niche - I assume cyclocross is way worse

E-richie is 100% correct about the smoke and mirrors. The majority of guys and gals that participate in the domestic scene are extremely driven by passion and driven to somehow make things work - financial repercussions be damned. They do what it takes and sacrifice to find the time to train and take proper care of themselves. Its a tough gig. Good luck to Caroline Mani, takes a lot to chase the dream
Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Just another brick in the wall of the pay and funding gap across men's and women's sports. It ain't just cyclocross.
Pointing at a pay gap is not the same as proving a systemic unfair disparity in wages based on gender.