Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 04:59 PM
The B!

Best race-worthy cantis that won't break the bank?

Bonjour mesdames et messieurs

Finally starting to get serious about building up this season's CX bike. I've never actually sourced parts and assembled a CX bike, and therefor am not really up on CX brakes. Easy Button: ask Paceliners!

So what's a good lesser-expensive canti brake option for CX?

I'll be looking for sale/clearance/used, which I would think broadens things up quite a bit. No problem riding older stuff. Don't have a budget, but it looks like pretty much any amateur-racer quality brake is gonna be sub-$100, no?

I'm open to mini-Vs too, but since I've never felt like I lacked stopping power in a CX race, I am not really convinced I need to sacrifice grass-infused gloppy mud clearance for sake of "better" brakes.... however, it does suddenly occur to me that maybe mini-Vs would lend to less hand fatigue from hard braking? Hmmmm...

Thanks!

-Le B
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM
n - 1

I purchased a set of Avid Shorty Ult on here a year or two ago for $75. I bet you could find some around the same. Throw up a WTB ad.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Tektro Mini-V, KoolStop salmon pads, and Jagwire noodle with adjustable cable tension.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Tektro-926A...Brake?cs=Black
http://www.jensonusa.com/Kool-Stop-Thinline-Shoes
http://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-90-...gwire%20noodle
More stopping power than canti's and they have a strong initial bite for scrubbing off speed. Personally I haven't had a need to modulate brakes during a race. I haven't had an issue with mud or grass clearance either with 35mm Kenda Happy Mediums. But then again I race in Socal, so what do I know about mud? Absolute bang for your buck IMO.

I like to thing of this setup as budget Paul Mini-Moto

All that for under $70

Last edited by Hombre; 07-25-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I haven't had an issue with mud or grass clearance either. But then again I race in Socal, so what do I know about mud?
Dis portland CXing

Old 07-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
Dis portland CXing

If PNW mud is like nutella, then I know everything about it.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Shimano CX70's are not expensive and work very well.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 PM

I've used TRP cantis but I've moved onto TRP mini-vs. The modulation is a bit worse but the power is just so much better. In mud it's important to have the power. I've used them with TRP black pads and now salmons.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Are Tektro CR720's too budget? I've been so pleased with them that I've put them on two bikes. Can be found for ~$24 for a set.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 PM

Avid Shorty 4's with Kool Stop salmon pads. Inexpensive and effective.

Greg
Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvxax View Post
I've used TRP cantis but I've moved onto TRP mini-vs. The modulation is a bit worse but the power is just so much better. In mud it's important to have the power. I've used them with TRP black pads and now salmons.
This is the opposite of my theory... with the cantis I've been using, I have no trouble locking up the wheel in mud - in fact, to avoid locking it up, I've kinda trained myself to keep pedaling into hard, muddy turns to keep the wheel moving, thereby keeping traction/staying upright (plus not bogging down and getting stuck). Seems to me like a more powerful brake would just make the problem worse, not better. I'd take more power if I got better modulation with it, but the modulation is really what you need, in my humble opinion

This is why I was so unimpressed with disc, the first half of last season I tried them. The pads drug on the rotors constantly, as soon as they got dirty, and the braking force was overkill. And aggregate-filled mud STILL collected on the calipers..

Last edited by Dead Man; 07-25-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Shimnao

If you want good and cheap cantis it is hard to beat the non-series Shimano cantis.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:03 AM

When I raced CX in BC I used Campy cantis but they were just rebranded Tektros. They worked great. My wife raced with mini vs. She could blow through a set of pads in two laps if it was really muddy.

I'm not sure if they still make campy canti's though??
Old 07-26-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfs View Post
Are Tektro CR720's too budget? I've been so pleased with them that I've put them on two bikes. Can be found for ~$24 for a set.
I've tried quite a few "budget" models, these are by far my favorite- easy setup, easy adjustment, good screws and fasteners, and wide profile gives a little better rim clearance as well as better ability to adjust the mechanical advantage/clearance to your preference (vs narrow stance brakes). They're cantis. Don't overthink it, although I think that different models seem to work better/worse with different frame and fork dimensions. Some people have issues with wide profile cantis (like the CR720s) on CX race bikes because they come in contact during dismounts, I've never had that issue, YMMV. The pads are crap though, replace them with kool stops and you'll have a nice setup.

Last edited by zennmotion; 07-26-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
But the cable on Mini Vs is pretty close to the tire, vs Cantis..may be an issue n mud.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Actually in mud, where traction is slick, less power and more modulation to prevent locking wheels up, and cantis have better mud clearance at the pads and as OP already said, between the tire and the cable. On steep gravel or pavement in wet conditions though, mini-Vs are better with more power on slick rim surfaces. It's all good though, brakes just slow you down!