Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 12:32 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingWalrus View Post
The uno groupset is amazing. I'm miffed that the one I was promised a month or two ago fell through.

I'll be slumming it with an a Hydro/Di2 groupset instead....first world problems

I'll post pics when the build happens. Rotor is coming over to do the install since it's for a magazine review. So I'll be able to take pictures and post it. Might do a FB Live thing on it.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Preach.

As much as people want to complain about the evolving BCD thing, at least you can always swap in an old (cheap) hollowtech II crank with whatever rings you like. It reminds me of 7800 - when it first came out all the traditionalists (campyphiles) all lost their **** about how ugly the crank was, but man did it perform well. No surprise the whole industry ended up copying the design. I'm glad Shimano is still pushing the envelope in terms of crank design.
The whole industry went to outboard BB bearings because square taper didn't sell. It wasn't because it was a superior design. Shimano outboard bearing crank came to pass to fix the problems with octalink. Poor BB life and 'lash'...
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I'll post pics when the build happens. Rotor is coming over to do the install since it's for a magazine review. So I'll be able to take pictures and post it. Might do a FB Live thing on it.

It sounds like to me that they got a bit gun-shy with rolling it out after a some issues.

Talking to the rotor people, the first shop in the states that installed a groupset on a bike for NAHBS didn't follow instructions at all and made a whole bunch of mistakes that were hard-ish to solve.

Talking briefly to the people who installed it, there were "no instructions" and "no support" and they had to wing it.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle - given I've seen a copy of the instructions that they were shipping with groups I know the instructions existed. But they were a bit "ikea" in that they were diagram heavy, and word light.

Really sounded to me like the issue stemmed from the fact that the shop completely bled the system dry prior to installing, and then had all kinds of trouble filling it completely back up. It ships filled, and the intent is, apparently, that you're able to cut and route it through the frame without having to do a full on bleed of the system? I would guess that means there's a little cap/plug or something for the line to cover it and send to the frame. I would guess there's some kind of fluid dynamics capillary action thing going on since the hose is so tiny that allow it to not flow out even when it's cut, provided it's sealed appropriately at the top?

That last bit is obviously wild guesses flying out of my...
Old 07-25-2017, 12:55 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingWalrus View Post
It sounds like to me that they got a bit gun-shy with rolling it out after a some issues.

Talking to the rotor people, the first shop in the states that installed a groupset on a bike for NAHBS didn't follow instructions at all and made a whole bunch of mistakes that were hard-ish to solve.

Talking briefly to the people who installed it, there were "no instructions" and "no support" and they had to wing it.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle - given I've seen a copy of the instructions that they were shipping with groups I know the instructions existed. But they were a bit "ikea" in that they were diagram heavy, and word light.

Really sounded to me like the issue stemmed from the fact that the shop completely bled the system dry prior to installing, and then had all kinds of trouble filling it completely back up. It ships filled, and the intent is, apparently, that you're able to cut and route it through the frame without having to do a full on bleed of the system? I would guess that means there's a little cap/plug or something for the line to cover it and send to the frame. I would guess there's some kind of fluid dynamics capillary action thing going on since the hose is so tiny that allow it to not flow out even when it's cut, provided it's sealed appropriately at the top?

That last bit is obviously wild guesses flying out of my...

Yeah, they mentioned the NAHBS issue. I know the people at Rotor well and they really want there to not be any issues. And I am fine with that. Its a Bicycling Magazine build so they want it right. I don't mind the visit.

With Magura brakes, the old HS models, you used to be able to cut the hydro hoses and not have to bleed. They worked well. But these hoses are only 2.5mm(derailleur) VS the normal 5mm(brakes). So I can see issues possibly. Plus maybe needing fluid or hose or small parts, I don't mind it.

They have been putting the kit out to mags in Europe for a year now. They are talking about the States next year. Who knows in the end tho. I'll let everyone know details when things arrive.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I still think Dura Ace 7700 was the best looking and the best group made. It worked incredibly well.
I couldn't agree more. I had the (mis?)fortune of that group being the first group I learned how to install and set up on. It's been downhill ever since.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The whole industry went to outboard BB bearings because square taper didn't sell. It wasn't because it was a superior design. Shimano outboard bearing crank came to pass to fix the problems with octalink. Poor BB life and 'lash'...
I would say the industry (but not campy) had moved on to splined BBs well before Htech II, but I meant the crank and rings themselves. The wide hollow arms and flat plate rings made it look like a UFO to traditionalists.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

See, i've never had an issue with the sealed bearing Octalink BB. The Dura Ace adjustable cup version, very different. Those sucked. But I would just use the Ultegra one and I had them last 5+ years.

Once they went outboard, especially on mountain bikes, way too many dead bearings. They feel like garbage even after a year. I have a few here that I replaced. I love showing them off as why you maintain your bikes.

Square taper still works. So does Octalink and yeah, outboard does too. But I still think DA 7700 was a high point and things went downhill for a bit there. 9000 DA isn't bad. I am not a fan of the hood shape.

But then again, I still love my XTR 900/910 kit. Again, a high point.

7700 and 900/910, they just worked. And they worked thru everything you could possibly throw at it. They just worked.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:08 PM

Those 7700s were absolute butter when installed and set up correctly. But you needed that stupid tool. They weren't well sealed either - but that's what 6500/5500 BBs were for. If you didn't mind rebuilding the BB every few months, they were the smoothest things around. At least the arms were self extracting.

e- Also M950 was a golden group too.

Last edited by zzy; 07-25-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:35 PM

Apparently this forum isn't the only one to not appreciate the new FD. Froomey didn't switch either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9100.JPG (69.4 KB, 237 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Apparently this forum isn't the only one to not appreciate the new FD. Froomey didn't switch either.
I don't think the antipathy here towards Shimano's new FD is aimed at the electronic version.

But I will say that 9000 unit is kind of ugly. At least it's expensive!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Those 7700s were absolute butter when installed and set up correctly. But you needed that stupid tool. They weren't well sealed either - but that's what 6500/5500 BBs were for. If you didn't mind rebuilding the BB every few months, they were the smoothest things around. At least the arms were self extracting.

e- Also M950 was a golden group too.

Yeah, the need for that tool was stupid. And yeah, when everything was faced perfectly and it was installed right it was great. It just wore out quick. I know a couple people who had them die real quick. I pulled mine and switched it to the Ultegra version right away to avoid the death of it.

And they did have self extracting bolts. Huge plus. But I always did a set of Syncros Self Extracting bolts on bikes. I used to work for a bunch of pros and it made my life easier to carry fewer tools.

the 950 kit, it was ok. I had a crank arm strip out on a jump during a mountain bike race. It was a common problem they said. The splines just ripped out on the arms. Really freaky landing and both arms slammed down at the same time. And I was out on the back side of the course about 5 miles out. Not fun getting back on one arm/leg.

One downside to that kit was the V-Brakes would chatter over time. the pivots would loosen up and you'd get chatter. Which sucked. But I did like that kit. But the 900/910 I think was still better. Oh and the 950 cranks looked like death after a bit of riding from shoe wear.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 PM

maybe this is a good place to ask this question - any news on a clutch type derailleur that works with any of the road shifters for the next iteration of components?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Ultegra, you make me thankful for Dura Ace and 105.
por qwhy?

Aesthetics alone?

Ultegra is such a great value, performance wise

I never like the look of new groups, but they usually grow on me.

4-arm spiders may never, tho.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've had the worst time(s) setting up the long-arm front dérailleurs. Fiddly is an understatement.

Every 3rd time or so I get it pretty close to right on accident. One of these days...

M
Old 07-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post

I never like the look of new groups, but they usually grow on me.

4-arm spiders may never, tho.
I agree with your first statement. Usually we are resistant to change but after a while they become normal.

The 4-arm design never bothered me and I love that a rider and switch between compact or standard or anything in between. I love running my 50/39 chainrings. Front shifting is so smooth and natural without the huge jump.