Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 11:29 AM

Cinelli "Pista" nightmare, need help!

Hi,

I hope to find some more information about the below chopped Cinelli Pista I bought on e-bay.

The seller mentioned that it's a 1960s Cinelli Super Corsa Pista. But I think it's a Cinelli but I'm not sure and I'm doubting even more if it started out as a track bike or that they just welded the drop-outs on it. As you can see it's chopped "Rossin" style (fork, top tube, head tube) I hate that and preferred to have the origional bike, still it's a bike and I would love to "restore" it or at least make a nice bike out of it but some history information would help me a lot. The serial number stamped in the BB is 3780 and there is an "C" stamped in too. I checked online but the Cinelli numbering is not really well documented I think so I hope one of you can help me. All input is welcome, do you know more about the frame? Serial number and do you think it's worth to restore? In what color?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
FullSizeRender (6).jpg
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (8).jpg
FullSizeRender (9).jpg
FullSizeRender (10).jpg
FullSizeRender (11).jpg
Old 07-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Vendor

I've never seen an older Cinelli frame without the finned BB Shell. Or without the word Cinelli in it. I would be surprised if it's a Cinelli frame.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:18 PM

Have you made any progress on some of your other projects? Thinking of the Serotta you posted about awhile back. You always find these funny bikes and they're so cool to see! Hope you find the answers about this one.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Have you made any progress on some of your other projects? Thinking of the Serotta you posted about awhile back. You always find these funny bikes and they're so cool to see! Hope you find the answers about this one.
Hi, Nice to speak to you again. After contact with Ben Serotta I decided to keep the Serotta as it is. I'm restoring a Andy Gilmore now and just bought a Bauer Radball bike. Also won an auction for a hand painted Cinelli Vigorelli by Celeste Buyers, those are not the final wheels, I have a set of Campagnolo Pista wheels for that.

I had a lot of help from this forum in regards to the Serotta so I hope I will get some help in the possible Cinelli to.

7635B18A-D31F-449F-BF1B-4F70FA2E7D26.jpg
C70143A2-8C57-46D7-A6B0-C98892D25562.jpg
IMG_3622.JPG
IMG_3626.jpg
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Awesome!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I've never seen an older Cinelli frame without the finned BB Shell. Or without the word Cinelli in it. I would be surprised if it's a Cinelli frame.
Thanks for the imput, I'm not a native speaker so don't know what "finned BB Shell" means but I know that a lot of Cinelli (Super Corsa) don't have the full "Cinelli" in the BB, but only a serial number.

To bad that the serial number log for old Cinelli bikes is very poor.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:39 PM

If thats a 60's cinelli well... it was chopped big time to make a TT track bike out of it.

Unless the guy is selling it super cheap like free... I would take it but as it is get the bike back will be a nightmare.

Run dude... run....
Old 07-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
If thats a 60's cinelli well... it was chopped big time to make a TT track bike out of it.

Unless the guy is selling it super cheap like free... I would take it but as it is get the bike back will be a nightmare.

Run dude... run....
Thanks, I think that is what happened, somebody started with a Cinelli Pista and "punished" it, horrible that an icon was killed. Still I think it deserves a second chance. Call me crazy but I think I can make something out of it. Besides that, there is no way back for me because I already bought it
Old 07-24-2017, 01:57 PM

LOL

Well, you can use that frame to learn how to braze
Old 07-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
Thanks for the imput, I'm not a native speaker so don't know what "finned BB Shell" means but I know that a lot of Cinelli (Super Corsa) don't have the full "Cinelli" in the BB, but only a serial number.

To bad that the serial number log for old Cinelli bikes is very poor.

heres a finned bb shell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3954214175_4ebb97e4f5.jpg (120.5 KB, 312 views)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:58 PM

I have a 60's Cinelli Pista and I can tell you that other than yours is obviously hacked/chopped, mine is very much the same. Ser#763 on mine. All other features are identical. Same lug profiles, same dropout, chain stay dimples, seat cluster, fork crown and location of the ser#. Seat stay and chain stay bridges are as cockeyed as a barrel of snakes straight from the factory.

Mine has had several owners(I know all of them) and paint jobs over the years but the original owner claims the original paint was silver. In fact I've never seen a 60's Cinelli race bike that wasn't silver.

It is too bad yours has been so horribly modified. Good luck with that restoration.

Last edited by nicrump; 07-24-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
heres a finned bb shell
that didn't happen till about '78 if not later or a tad earlier.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Ultra seen silver and other ones with like yellow and red wine color aswell...

The Cinelli BB cast is not in all of the bikes, I tihnk they started doing that end 70s and mid 80s....

IMO the bike can be saved but it is a job to be do it at home to make it cost efficient.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrump View Post
I have a 60's Cinelli Pista and I can tell you that other than yours is obviously hacked/chopped, mine is very much the same. Ser#763 on mine. All other features are identical. Same lug profiles, same dropout, chain stay dimples, seat cluster, fork crown and location of the ser#. Seat stay and chain stay bridges are as cockeyed as a barrel of snakes straight from the factory.

Mine has had several owners(I know all of them) and paint jobs over the years but I know the original owner and he claims the original paint was silver. In fact I've never seen a 60's Cinelli race bike that wasn't silver.

It is too bad yours has been so horribly modified. Good luck with that restoration.
Thank you for the imput, this really helps. I will just make the best of it, it still has an (slow beating) Cinelli heart...
Old 07-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Ultra seen silver and other ones with like yellow and red wine color aswell...

The Cinelli BB cast is not in all of the bikes, I tihnk they started doing that end 70s and mid 80s....

IMO the bike can be saved but it is a job to be do it at home to make it cost efficient.
Thanks! I will for sure try to make something out of it!