Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM

Surfing is, indeed, an insane workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw6184 View Post
Dress is super casual all the time: t-shirt/shorts/flip flops. If you go to a nice dinner a button down Hawaiian Shirt will do.

Hope this helps and wish you safe travels. Aloha...
I agree with this, but is it just me, or is/was being unshaven somewhat frowned upon?

I kind of got the vibe that, while the dress code was extremely relaxed (basically no rules), being cleanly shaven was what separated cultured Hawaiians from any perceptions relating to castaways, colonial stereotypes, etc. Almost like it's one the last formalities in a super-casual society. Almost like it's a cultural shield against island fever.

Mind you, I'm talking about skipping days... stubble - not trimmed mustaches or beards.

Just me?

Last edited by Marc40a; 07-20-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 PM

Heh and be prepared to get cut if it's your first time trying to go surfing. Definitely buy a rash guard long sleeve shirt.

You can't really put bare feet down on the bottom anywhere off Waikiki once you get 50ft offshore.. it's all sharp coral.

A lot of places in Hawaii are like that. I gashed my foot within minutes of getting in the water the first time I went to Hawaii.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:00 PM
v a n i l l a

If you don't already own water shoes or rash guards, plan on stopping by walmart or kmart. and buy plenty of sunscreen. nothing says tourist like beet red skin. worse, if you burn badly, that may knock you out of doing other things.

do not even think about cycling...you can do that at home.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
Surfing is, indeed, an insane workout.

I agree with this, but is it just me, or is/was being unshaven somewhat frowned upon?

I kind of got the vibe that, while the dress code was extremely relaxed (basically no rules), being cleanly shaven was what separated cultured Hawaiians from any perceptions relating to castaways, colonial stereotypes, etc. Almost like it's one the last formalities in a super-casual society. Almost like it's a cultural shield against island fever.

Mind you, I'm talking about skipping days... stubble - not trimmed mustaches or beards.

Just me?
Not sure in what context you are referring to, but I don't think locals pay too much attention to whether you are unshaven. Coming off the beach and going into Denny's probably not a big deal, coming off the beach and sitting down to a nice meal in a restaurant or hotel maybe not a good idea. Maybe the person you dealt with was having a bad day.

Generally speaking, locals are usually warm, welcoming and glad to have you there. I can tell you what locals don't like is when visitors come and show little respect for the island, culture, people and its ways of life. I think it is like visiting anywhere in the world and even though Hawaii is part of the USA, you are 2500 miles from the motherland in the middle of a big ocean.

For first time surfing, Waikiki is OK to try it out. Northshore, not such a good idea. First, the waves are serious and not for beginners. Second, the surfers are pretty serious and usually the locals get the best waves. Even seasoned surfers who visit from Australia or California have to earn a place in the hierarchy. It's kinda how it works there. Seen a few fights break out because someone "stole" some waves...kinda crazy.

As for snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, I agree with the comment that it's not the best representation of snorkeling in Hawaii but it's worth experiencing. If you do want to spend more time in the water, I would also recommend finding a good guide (usually working at the dive shops), see if they can take you out for a few hours, develop a good relationship during your time and just maybe they will show you a few secret spots. Lastly, if you are successful and happy with your experience, tip them well and they will remember you. I have found that this is one of the fastest ways to get to know what the locals know. Especially when it comes to outdoor activities.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:20 PM

this is good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Heh and be prepared to get cut if it's your first time trying to go surfing. Definitely buy a rash guard long sleeve shirt.

You can't really put bare feet down on the bottom anywhere off Waikiki once you get 50ft offshore.. it's all sharp coral.

A lot of places in Hawaii are like that. I gashed my foot within minutes of getting in the water the first time I went to Hawaii.
my 1st trip to HI with the navy the base was full so i lucked out and stayed at waikiki. went snorkeling from the hotel--went 1/4- 1/2mile out and swam with sea turtles, amazing time etc, but tide was low when i went back and I was lucky to find a path back without cutting myself seriously. It was scary. I'm sure there is a good path but there was anything obvious in any direction i could see and the waves, while not big, made it really dicey to get in. of course a board solves most of that (if you stay on top), but be careful

jim
Old 07-20-2017, 07:24 PM

My Wife is Kamaaina and we have owned a place at the edge of Waikki for 17 years. She spends most of her time there, and as others have stated, it is very different culturally then the rest of the USA. First, riding on a short trip is indeed a waste of time. We ride there, but it is limited and crowded. I have done rides on the Windward side from Kailua to the North Shore which were fun, but there is plenty else to do.

North Shore this time of year will almost certainly have little to no waves, but that means it is safe to swim at Sunset, Pipeline, Waimea etc., you can snorkel at Shark's cove by Pupukea Foodland and you will almost certainly see Turtles and lots of fish. There is a Heiau above Pupukea which is worth visiting for the view and to see an ancient religious site. Is is also a good time to SUP in Halewia, there are a number of rental options. Despite the lines, Shave Ice at Matsumotos is a must, get Azuki beans and Ice cream in the bottom. As others have mentioned you can also drive out towards Kaena Point and Mokuleia where Dillingham airfield is to go on a glider ride, the beach there also usually has a lot of turtles.

Hanauma is always busy, and you should only go first thing in AM as the tradewinds and the tourists stir up the water. Also the parking lot will often be full and you cannot enter from about 10-2 for long periods of time. Hanauma is actually very good snorkeling due to being a preserve, but only outside the reef, and you really should be a good swimmer if you go out there as the reef pass can have a lot of current, and everything interesting is pretty deep on the outside. You also should pay close attention to how far out you go, eventually there is open ocean currents that are quite dangerous. Just pass Hanauma is the blowhole and then Sandy Beach. This is a great place to people watch, but unless you truly know what you are doing in overhead shore break, do not go out.

If you want to surf and are not already experienced, take lessons in Waikiki, there will be some waves in the summer, and the locals will cut you slack that they would not in other areas of the island. If you just want to boogie board and play in the surf, Waimanalo or or the weekends, Bellows Marine Training Center are good choices on the windward side and a nice drive from the North shore. In Waimanalo do not leave anything in your car you value however, this is pretty true throughout Oahu.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 PM

Yeah, Waikiki Beach is a tourist hell hole. Never go there:

Honestly, the only problem I have with it is the homeless people.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
my 1st trip to HI with the navy the base was full so i lucked out and stayed at waikiki. went snorkeling from the hotel--went 1/4- 1/2mile out and swam with sea turtles, amazing time etc, but tide was low when i went back and I was lucky to find a path back without cutting myself seriously. It was scary. I'm sure there is a good path but there was anything obvious in any direction i could see and the waves, while not big, made it really dicey to get in. of course a board solves most of that (if you stay on top), but be careful

jim
Yah the trick to getting in and out is to get yourself floating/swimming as early as possible. Trying to walk out to chest height is a disaster waiting to happen, not only will you get cut, you'll get tossed around like a rag doll if there are waves.

I never wear water shoes.. they are pretty much worthless IMO, you can't swim effectively with shoes on. Maybe if you were walking through the water hunting hermit crabs or something. For swimming/surfing forget it.

Obviously fins are a great thing to have swimming in the ocean in Hawaii, including for body boarding. Gotta be careful entering/exiting the water with those too.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I'm taking notes and really appreciate the guidance!

Happy Friday!

Texbike
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Hawaiian Island Resource

I forgot to post this earlier. You might find this of interest:

http://www.unrealhawaii.com
Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 AM

just spent a week there earlier this month, the 7th time i've been there in 11 years or so.

Hunt down Giovanni's shrimp truck in Halweia for lunch one day... there's a pretty decent food truck setup there as well if you're not into shrimp (the butcher/steak trailer there is awesome).

Shark's cove on the north shore has some decent snorkeling.

Hanauma bay has really good snorkeling but get there super early because the lot fills up by 8am most days

Hit up Boots & Kimos in Kailua and get their bacon omelette. Thank me later for that (also, get there when they open, there's normally a wait)

Depending on food preferences (mine tend towards the Asiatic), hit up Marukame Udon in Honolulu for some great ramen.

enjoy the scenery. Also if you're going to hike up diamondhead, hit is first thing, or in two hour intervals after it opens. it takes about 2 hours to get to the top and back down, and parking is limited.

Dole plantation in Waihawa is pretty neat too, especially for dole whip (soft serve pineapple flavored ice cream)

HNL is a freaking nightmare as its under construction so be prepared to deal with a ****ty airport.

Try to hit up the market at Aloha stadium (wednesday's & saturdays) for some local artisan type stuff to take back as gifts.

serious cycling there is generally frowned upon (in fact in the 7 times I've gone, I don't think i've ever seen a road cyclist out there)

If you have access to military bases, see if you can arrange for a pontoon boat through MCBH Kaneohe and head out to the Kaneohe bay sandbard at low tide... that's a super neat experience as well.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw6184 View Post
I forgot to post this earlier. You might find this of interest:

http://www.unrealhawaii.com
This link rocks!!! Thanks for sharing!

Texbike
Old 07-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Hike Diamond Head
Have a "Shave Ice" not "Shaved Ice" from waiola shave ice, better than Matsumotos imo
Go to a luau, Jermaines Luau is popular on Oahu
Eat at Rainbows Drive In
Up the street from rainbows is my LBS Island Triathlon and Bikes. They rent bikes and has group rides every Tuesday, Tantalus Tuesday 's 7:00am , up a mountain with some nice views), Pau Hana Wednsdays 4:30pm faster pace and Saturday am.
Snorkel hanauma bay (you do need to get there early as parking fills up fast)
Kualoa Ranch has horse back and atv riding
Polynesian Cultural Center
Pearl Harbor (not sure if the Mighty Mo Battleship is still there)
Get some 100% Kona Coffee😊
Sit on the beach and just relax
Eat some Poke
Saturday open Market at Kapiolani Community College
Walk around Chinatown (although that might be the same everywhere) lol
Eat a spam musubi
That's about all I can think of for now other than eating😀
Old 07-24-2017, 12:32 PM
You still here?

Gotta agree with the eating part. There's such a huge diversity of food in Hawaii due to the many cultures that make up its population. It's hard to find food that is bland or 'normal'. Even McDonald's serves food to satisfy the local populace.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM

I was psyched to see this thread as we are also planning a trip to Oahu and Kauai but in late February. I've been to Maui and Kauai before but we're bringing the kids this time and Kauai is not to be missed.

Some distant relatives of ours own Kualoa Ranch - we're definitely going to ride ATV's and check out the movie scenery (Jurassic Park, Lost, etc.). We've also been told that the snorkeling right off the beach there is terrific.

Definitely going to follow this thread - great suggestions!