Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 11:05 AM

Ride quality- Shamal, Neutron, Kysrium

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new set of wheels for my Merlin build. I was originally set on Bora One 35's, but decided to stick with AL for now. I did a search and could not really answer my question.

I am set on buying one of the Campy models listed (Shamal or Neutron) so while there are many others to consider I would like to focus on these.

I will run 25mm tires for now and probably 28mm in the winter if they will fit.

My question is the relative ride quality between the Shamal Mille, Neutron Ultra, and Kysrium SSC SL.

My first Extralight had the SSC SL's and I thought they were too stiff. I put on a set of used Neutron Ultras and loved them!

I like the idea of improved braking in the rain so i am looking at the Shamal Mille and wondering how the ride compares to the Ultra's and SSC SL's?

I know they will be somewhat stiffer than the Neutrons as they are deeper. Will they be as harsh as the Kysriums?

I can't find the Mille in 2 way fit so should I consider Shamal Ultra 2 way fit and run them tubeless as an alternative for a softer ride?

Thanks!

ps- I weigh about 170lbs.

Last edited by gpl916; 03-24-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 AM

I haven't ridden the Campy wheels but from my perspective the Kysriums ride like crap. Harsh, noisy, very susceptible to wind. Soft rims.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Have a pair of the Milles, they ride great. I like them a lot. But a couple things to keep in mind:

The Milles will lose their coating riding in the rain. Unless you're committed to running tubeless, I'd avoid the 2-way wheels personally. And the Milles seem to just eat brake pads, though that might be a function of the terrain where I ride.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Have a pair of the Milles, they ride great. I like them a lot. But a couple things to keep in mind:

The Milles will lose their coating riding in the rain. Unless you're committed to running tubeless, I'd avoid the 2-way wheels personally. And the Milles seem to just eat brake pads, though that might be a function of the terrain where I ride.

[/IMG]
I'd love to ride where you ride!

The Mille's would look really good with the build I have in mind. Do you think they would lose the coating on just the brake track? How much are the blue pads?

g
Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl916 View Post
I'd love to ride where you ride!

The Mille's would look really good with the build I have in mind. Do you think they would lose the coating on just the brake track? How much are the blue pads?

g
Been riding them regularly though a very wet winter here. The track itself is getting streaked up pretty good, but the rest of the wheel looks fine.

The pads aren't crazy expensive, just can be hard to find at times. I usually hoard a couple pairs in the parts bin just in case.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM
formerly Landshark_98

I have Shamal tubulars and the older neutron tubulars. No doubt the Shamals are a firmer ride but I use the word firm intentionally rather than "stiff" which can have some derogatory connotations for wheels. It has been awhile since I've been on Kysriums but I recall them as being stiff is as harsh compared to the Shamals and of course the neutrons.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM

I've been running Eurus 2-Ways since 2010. I started with Hutchinson Fusions at 23c. They were very difficult to get on and off the rim. I recently switched the Schwalbe Pro-One @ 23c and they went on by hand and seated/inflated w/a floor pump. I'm planning to put on a set at 25c next. But it would nice to have the wider rim of the Shamal C17.

I can't comment on the ride of the wheels alone as I'm not too sensitive to those types of things. But I do remember when I first put on the wheel/tire combination and the improvement in the ride smoothness was immediately noticeable. No flats in 7 years is a bonus.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Vendor

If you want a super solid wheel that you won't have to worry about, go with the Shamals.

Good power transfer. Very little if any noticeable flex when climbing or out of the saddle. They look good. And you don't have to worry about special pads or crappy shifting since you are using a Campy wheel with Campy components/shifting. The last part, I find to be the most important.

AND, if you enter your bike in the Campy Only awards at NAHBS, they won't kick it out cause you have a different set of wheels on the bike! <---Side note that may not apply to everyone and a REALLY long story!

Anyways, go with Shamal Wheels.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM

I haven't tried the ksyriums or neutrons, but I got the C17 shamal mille recently and they've been great. Not harsh at all, but I do have 25 corsas on there that puff up to 27. Plenty stiff for my 145 lbs.

From what I've been reading, I'll have to stock up on brake pads as well.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I have Shamal tubulars and the older neutron tubulars. No doubt the Shamals are a firmer ride but I use the word firm intentionally rather than "stiff" which can have some derogatory connotations for wheels. It has been awhile since I've been on Kysriums but I recall them as being stiff is as harsh compared to the Shamals and of course the neutrons.
Harsh, is probably a better term for my thoughts on the Kysriums.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I am leaning towards the Shamals which are running about $850 at the UK sites.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM

Wouldn't the aluminum spokes on the Shamals make them feel more like the Ksyriums than the steel-spoked Neutrons? You said you loved some Neutrons when you used them - why aren't they your first choice?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Wouldn't the aluminum spokes on the Shamals make them feel more like the Ksyriums than the steel-spoked Neutrons? You said you loved some Neutrons when you used them - why aren't they your first choice?
Not sure about the ride that's why I am asking those who have ridden both.

The Neutrons are/ were great wheels. But I have read that the coating on the Mille's makes a big difference in braking (especially in the rain) and I live in Seattle.

Secondly the finish on the Shamals would look great with the build as I am thinking of Cerakote (ing) the frame and bits in a matte OD Green. Sort of like this but darker accessories and no white on the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020656.jpg (81.7 KB, 466 views)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:03 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Intuitively this would seem to be the case, and was my experience between the different Kysrium models years ago, but tests have shown that the steel spoked Zondas are stiffer than the Eurus/Shamals and indeed they feel that way to my butt. I feared that Shamals would ride to much like Ksyriums for my taste but it hasn't worked out that way.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:33 PM

I love my neutrons. I don't have the Ultras, i bet they are even nicer!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:44 PM
v a n i l l a

IMHO, Mille streaking if and when it happens will be no different than when my Open Pro CD's streaked. I think the aesthetic will still be superb. Braking is better in dry and wet. Campy blue pads can be found easily USA but shimano blue pads are the harder ones to find.