Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 AM

Rhabdo making it's way through the press today...

Just a couple of the articles I've seen pop up:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/26/health...ner/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/w...re-common.html

Bicycling.com actually has a clueful article about this probably being overblown...

http://www.bicycling.com/training/co...s-be-dangerous

Still.. this has really become something we've all heard about ever since Crossfit and these HIIT workouts become popular. I am really curious what is different about these new spin classes though. This condition seems to be almost unheard of in cycling, and we certainly put a much larger load on the body. Whereas I totally get it with something like Crossfit... get a new participant and have then do hundreds of squats way beyond their fitness ability and it all makes sense.

My impression is it might be:
- Spin instructors telling everyone to crank resistance and go at high muscle loads/very low cadence
- Some of the articles mention spinning the bike up and then using the legs to slow the bike down (eccentric motion causing more damage)
- All the classes I've seen seem to have a weird focus on leaving giant puddles of sweat on the floor... overly high temps/humidities and poor ventilation in the classroom
- Every class is high intensity

I've certainly never heard of spin having anything to do with periodized training or recovery classes.

But then again I thought you could always just dial your resistance down to keep things reasonable. I know when I've taken spin classes I always did that as necessary cause I wore my HRM and I'd just ignore them if they tried to get us to pedal slower than 80rpm or so.

I went to the opening orientation session of the spin company that opened up in the gym where I go.. when I asked some questions they kind of said something like, "you're a cyclist, this is not for you, cycling has nothing to offer spin, it's totally different." Haven't gone after that, partly cause it's super expensive anyway.

Last edited by benb; 07-26-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM

People have the mistaken idea that the more sore and fatigued you are after a workout, the more effective it was. Usually, it just shows that your muscles and joints weren't prepared. For example, you'll get pretty sore (to the point of only being able to walk with difficulty) if you haven't done squats for months and go heavy your first time back.

In other news, how tattoos affect your workout: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/26/w...r-workout.html.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM

My pal Russell, rhabdo survivor, Firefly owner

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS30ZizA...cat1komplainer
Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Kind of OK

I got it when I thought a rock climbing route would only take two hours and it took 12. Really strenuous crack climbing. My pee was the color of coca cola. Doc said the last person he saw with my symptoms died. Lost a bunch of muscle in my back and arms.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Interesting. Couple years ago my wife took a Soulcycle class and was completely decimated afterwards. She wasn't conditioned at all to strenuous aerobic activity like that, or in general. Could barely walk, literally exhausted and in meaningful muscle pain for days, I wouldn't be surprised if she had that condition. I'd never even heard of it.

Duly noted. Thanks for this info.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM

I doubt she had it, if she did and didn't go to the hospital I think she would have died?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM

Not necessarily. She could have had mild rhabdo .
Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I doubt she had it, if she did and didn't go to the hospital I think she would have died?
Many mild cases occur, folks recover without medical intervention.