Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 12:44 PM

Moving to LA. What do I need to know?

Moving to Los Angeles from the Midwest in a couple of months. Currently, most of my miles are long, rolling gravel rides and a weekly spin on mellow single track trails.

Moving near the Hollywood Reservoir. I'm expecting a lot more paved rides and steep climbs. What else should I know? I can keep up in a low stakes paceline when I'm in my best shape, but I'm never going to be a watt-measuring roadie or have much interest in racing.

Any routes, club rides, weekend bikepacking trips, chill shops, tire choices, or other stuff I should know about?

Would love to find a way to keep riding on dirt as part of my regular routine.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

there's dirt near LA but last I checked, you're going to have to drive to get there.

Get ready for sticker shock. Housing is lots more. Gas is lots more. Food not much more. Traffic is lots more. People drive like bats outta h-ll everywhere they're going.

I miss the weather in SoCal, but I don't miss the # of people, etc.

All the winter gear you have now? Yeah, sell most of it. You won't need it.

M
Old 05-12-2024, 01:09 PM

I am sure a bunch of people will chime in that have been here longer than me but this thread has some good info

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=nichols

I think you are in for some good riding times
Old 05-12-2024, 01:47 PM
50 bpm

Hate the Dodgers for me.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:52 PM
#RYFB

OP: that linked thread is a good resource but very little info on your future neighborhood.

There is quite a bit of good climbing close to the reservoir, mostly to the west off of Mulholland and beyond, but for a quickie you can always head up to the Hollywood sign -- pavement's lousy but no cars.

Some great dirt in the Verdugos, a bit of a schlep to ride to but not too bad. I don't do it very often so don't have routes in my back pocket but pretty sure that some others (@xrslug, @gothbrooks, e.g.) do. Most of the dirt routes I know are further west, normally you could head directly on Mulholland for some fun warmup but at the moment a piece of the road is closed to repair storm damage. Also an abundance of great dirt riding in the San Gabriels further east, but really you need to drive to access them unless you're in for a long day. Those mentioned above can undoubtedly help with routes out there.

For group rides, maybe check the Cub House (related info here). There are weekend rides out of the Rapha clubhouse in Santa Monica (I lead one every other Saturday) though that's a good distance from you, also some weekday rides including one every Wednesday from Commissary Coffee in West Hollywood (closer to you). There's the "world famous" La Grange Nichols ride on Sunday morning starting in West LA, though currently on hiatus I believe because of the Mulholland closure.

OK, that's kind of a lot already … feel free to DM if you want lots more detail. Also happy to meet up and show you around once you're here.

Edit: P.S. Contrary to advice above, keep some of your cold weather gear if you plan to ride year 'round. It does indeed get (relatively) cold here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Hate the Dodgers for me.
You don't need to be here to do that!

Last edited by cgolvin; 05-12-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:53 PM

Bring money.

But, good for YOU! I'd love to be able to ride year round.

Decker Road, starting at PCH.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 05-12-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:09 PM

Honestly a hell of a location for both road and gravel, yes there is a lot of climbing but both dirt and road near Griffith is great. More westward the hills up in Topanga are gorgeous, the backroads down to Calabasas and the Stunt Road climb are just stunning. I spent 3 weeks out there last year in January and loved every minute of it.

It's definitely a car city but there is a LOT tucked away up there. I'm from Michigan originally and yes, it's not like the 90° turns we grew up with though.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:27 PM
mentholated

los angeles is cool because everyone hates it.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:51 PM

Pasadena Athletic Association (PAA)

A bit to your east, but a great group if you want to join a club.

For me, less fit than many, I find the road cycling side very accepting if you’re self sufficient. Has much to offer everyone between A & D level riders.

The endurance group has rides both in the San Gabriel mountains, Griffith park-ish, surrounding cities, and Santa Monica’s but less frequently. A great way to learn about the area. There’s also a monthly club supported ride. My mountain pictures come from these group rides.

I don’t know about the dirt side, but it exists.

A really good bunch. Worth the drive from the Beach cities. (It’s always disappointing how long it takes to drive anywhere in LA)

Last edited by PurpleBikeChick; 05-12-2024 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:10 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
There's a reason for that

Having lived in Sandy Eggo for a decade, I don't like LA. Then again, I'm not fond of cities in general.

M
Old 05-12-2024, 04:18 PM

Nobody walks in LA.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
👆👆👆
Old 05-12-2024, 05:29 PM

LA is so large, so diverse, and so complex that if your only statement is "I hate LA", I guarantee that you're missing out on something cool.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:33 PM

Lots of great road, off-road and mixed surface riding. I am more San Gabriel Valley and Mountains focused and like multi-surface riding, so there are the LA Tourist rides, the Trans San Gabriel, the Cub House’s annual LA Invitational and then regular basket bike rides, for pure road during the summer months there are regular quasi-crit training rides around the Rose Bowl (Tue / Thurs evenings), the Montrose group ride every Saturday morning (three groups depending on your preferred speed) leaving from Trader Joe’s in South Pasadena at 7:30/7:45/8 a.m., the PAA rides as someone else mentioned. Whatever you’re into, you can do it here.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:10 PM

One good thing about LA is you can drive to the central coast in a few hours and have some fantastic rides. Ventura is closest, but anywhere north of there is great.