Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Looking for a top-end compact handlebar (and stem combo)

After much research and consultation, I've come to the conclusion that there is little point to spend $$$ on carbon handlebar and stem besides the bling factor. The arguable comfort benefit can be achieved with thicker (or gel) bar tape and better tires.

So I'm looking for a top-end compact handlebar and stem combo, preferably with a drop close to 125mm and a reach around 80mm. Any recommendation (have looked at Ritchey, Easton, and Thomson)?
Old 09-23-2017, 01:01 PM

3T Ergosum and Arx II are pretty hard to beat, IMO.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:21 PM

The PRO stuff is awesome! I also like Easton EA90 stems but meh on the handlebars.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
3T Ergosum and Arx II are pretty hard to beat, IMO.
+1
several h-bar styles and sizing to choose from with 3T and the graphics are subtle enough to fit most any paint scheme. all at good prices. Richey also hits this well too.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:31 PM

Make sure the aluminum bar and stem is the 7000 series aluminum, not the cheaper heavier 6000 series. 7000 aluminum bars and stems weigh about same as good CF ones. Example....In Ritchey products, The WCS line is 7000 series. The Pro line is not.

BTW....I'm kinda cheap about parts like this.....so on my last Cannondale build....I used Cannondale C1 stem and bar....both very light (and cheap) 7000 series aluminum. C2 and up heavier 6000 stuff.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:12 PM

I was riding the PRO Vibe 7S compact for a while and really like it but found the drop wasn't quite right for the Campy thumb shifter.
Recently went to the FSA Energy Wing Pro Compact and it's much better for the thumb position.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-0...Road-Handlebar
Old 09-23-2017, 07:06 PM

Enve cross fork

Enve compact bars feel the best in my hands and the shifters sit exactly where I like them.
Stems- I have an Enve stem on one bike, but I don't have to be all matchy matchy.
Carbon stems do nothing but lighten the wallet.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I was riding the PRO Vibe 7S compact for a while and really like it but found the drop wasn't quite right for the Campy thumb shifter.
I think the PRO Vibe 7S Round is a really nice bar. It's 80 reach and 130ish drop. Haven't run Campy on that bar, but I've never had trouble reaching the thumb shifter on similar bend bars.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:11 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Carbon stems do nothing but lighten the wallet.
They look good, which is important. I believe the folks at Enve say that's the real reason they make carbon stems: people who'll buy them since the look cool.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 PM

Carbon stem

Oh, I have on one of my bikes. But I am not going to say that it has improved my cycling enjoyment in any measurable amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
They look good, which is important. I believe the folks at Enve say that's the real reason they make carbon stems: people who'll buy them since the look cool.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
After much research and consultation, I've come to the conclusion that there is little point to spend $$$ on carbon handlebar and stem besides the bling factor. The arguable comfort benefit can be achieved with thicker (or gel) bar tape and better tires.

So I'm looking for a top-end compact handlebar and stem combo, preferably with a drop close to 125mm and a reach around 80mm. Any recommendation (have looked at Ritchey, Easton, and Thomson)?
I was just noticing today how much I really like my Ritchey WCS alu/curve on my new-to-me go-fast carbon poseur bike. Love the shape, though agnostic about the flattened top- it works fine for me with my setup where my hoods sit just a few mm's above horizontal, as I keep the flat bar top also very close to horizontal. If I wanted to pop the hoods up (like I've seen on some bikes or say, for CX) the flat top bar wouldn't work at all for me, with my weight more on the narrow side of the ovalized section. I also think round section bars are a little more forgiving on rough roads. I would also add the Oval 700s bar with an Oval stem to your list for consideration. I have a couple on other bikes, they feel nearly identical to my Ritchey, round section bars (I guess a plus for me) 7000 series aluminum, look nice, good prices, well made and a little under the radar.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 AM

Thanks for everyone's input so far. It seems most bar recommendations have a 130ish drop, just wonder if there is any with a 125mm drop and top quality?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:59 AM

3T Ergonova has a 123 mm drop, i think, and a 77 mm reach.
it should just be perfect.
and you could buy an alloy one (pro). or,
a carbon one (team).
or you could go all out and buy a top of the line carbon (ltd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Thanks for everyone's input so far. It seems most bar recommendations have a 130ish drop, just wonder if there is any with a 125mm drop and top quality?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 AM
bourbon!

Zipp Service Course bars and stems are very nice. Several models to choose from, with various drop and reach combo's. A+
Old 09-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Aluminum alloy designation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Make sure the aluminum bar and stem is the 7000 series aluminum, not the cheaper heavier 6000 series. 7000 aluminum bars and stems weigh about same as good CF ones. Example....In Ritchey products, The WCS line is 7000 series. The Pro line is not.
Careful there - the series number of aluminum alloys refers only to the primary alloying element(s), it does not directly mean that one series is stronger than another series. The strength of an aluminum alloy depends not just on its alloying elements, but also on its treatment (heat treating, aging, work hardening, etc.). There are plenty of 6000 series alloys that are stronger than 7000 series alloys. And these are not the only alloy series used in bicycles - there are plenty of components that use 2000 & 5000 series alloys, depending on requirements of the application.