Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Can loan you something.
That's awesome thank you very kindly for the offer. I doubt I will be able to escape for a bike ride but if so I'll definitely take you up on it. It sure does look like a beautiful place to ride.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That's awesome thank you very kindly for the offer. I doubt I will be able to escape for a bike ride but if so I'll definitely take you up on it. It sure does look like a beautiful place to ride.
My condo is a short walk from the Hyatt. There is a new Mexican restaurant, Red O, an easy walk from your hotel. We haven't tried it yet but the reviews have been good. It is quite a bit upscale from our typical taco/burrito places and serves what they claim to be authentic cuisine from various parts of Mexico. Tony's Jacal and Fidel's are both just west of I-5 in Solana Beach and they are my favorites for good casual Mexican fare. Fidel's carnitas are terrific. El Indio slings some good food but you stand in line to order, wait for them to call your name, grab a tray and look for a table inside or outside.

The Aero-Space Museum in Balboa Park is very good, The Auto Museum is just OK. There are a couple of art museums, Science Museum, Museum of Man, etc. all in Balboa Park. You can spend a whole day in the park and not see it all.

Also in the park you have The Old Globe Theaters. Check to see what's on. There are no bad seats so take whatever you can get if the play looks interesting. Your hotel will also be near La Jolla Playhouse and Scripps Aquarium.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:29 PM

Joe Bell's.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:40 PM

If your a beer geek, check out Mikkeler, Fall Brewing, or Karl Strauss. There really are too many breweries to list. Definitely spend some time at the Hotel Del Coronado. Great place to watch the sun go down. Torrey Pines is always a good trip. Blacks Beach is the coolest IMO but be prepared to see some nudists!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 PM

Just got back from there this June and had a great little trip. I rented a bike at a shop by the airport (moment bicycles?)

If no riding and wife is with then I would suggest a trip out to Coronado island. You can ferry there from the convention center for like $4.

Beer, beer, and more beer is everywhere.

If I was there longer I would go to visit some of the breweries.

There was a great trendy little neighborhood that was filled with fun restaurants, Bars, and shops, but I forget the name. I'm sure someone here will know it.

Have a great trip!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

There was a great trendy little neighborhood that was filled with fun restaurants, Bars, and shops, but I forget the name. I'm sure someone here will know it.

Have a great trip!
There are several neighborhoods like that but I'll bet you were in Little Italy. If I try to list ALL the others I know I'll forget one and get nasty-grams about my omission.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM

So, how's it going? Need more tips for eating/drinking?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:21 PM

The downtown YMCA has a great Olympic pool. Did 5 miles there after a meeting, once.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
The downtown YMCA has a great Olympic pool. Did 5 miles there after a meeting, once.
If you're referencing the YMCA at Broadway & India, it doesn't exist there any more.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 PM

If you're not that into beer and don't mind an antiseptic anytown setting, by all means go to Stone. If you are into beer, let the locals guide you to some spots that we actually haunt. The Modern Times Fermentorium in Point Loma is a must stop, especially if you are into the current incarnations of hazy and fruity IPAs and it's very close to Cabrillo if you stop there. Societe is near the Holland Cycles showroom and has spectacular things to drink. If you head near East County, you can get real Alpine Beer (not disguised Green Flash) at their tasting room and pub.

In the Uptown San Diego area, Blind Lady Ale House and Tiger! Tiger! are family and bike friendly restaurants with a world class tap list. The same folks run Panama 66 in Balboa Park - also very family friendly.

I second Mikeller and Fall also, great beer you won't find everywhere else.

I rode the Midway when she was haze gray and underway. I'm sorry to say I haven't visited her docked.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post

I rode the Midway when she was haze gray and underway. I'm sorry to say I haven't visited her docked.
I would be surprised if you didn't think it was a fun thing to do. Besides revisiting areas familiar to you you can check out Flag and Skipper's quarters. :-)
Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I would be surprised if you didn't think it was a fun thing to do. Besides revisiting areas familiar to you you can check out Flag and Skipper's quarters. :-)
Trust me, she was a lot more interesting driving around shooting planes and stopping in Pattaya.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Hey, the Auto Museum in Balboa Park as a Tucker, so it's not all that bad.
Me...I dig the model railroad in the park.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 PM

If you like the harder stuff this is a great stop

http://aeroclubbar.com

Last edited by KarlC; 09-20-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
The Midway Museum is fabulous. Where will you stay?
Ooooo-rah!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ao106_3.jpg (10.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0000.JPG (47.6 KB, 73 views)