Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
The 'fixed' TDIs back on the market are ridiculously priced imo. Can't believe VW is selling very many of them, but what do I know.
Without reading through this entire thread, what did they do to "fix" the TDIs? Add on equipment? Reduction in power?

I have a 2005 Passat TDI wagon (5s manual!), which I deeply love. Runs great at 185K. I get tempted by newer models but, of course, am wary.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:44 AM

Been looking for a wagon for my son to have and TDIs have started popping up at shadier places that deal with used cars from auctions. Not sure of how they got there, mainly 15s and I think I saw a 14. Seemed fishy for a bunch of reasons

Edit: just looked, several dealers are selling them too, pretty much all years. Wonder what is up? Myst be how VW is taking care of dealers. Odd

Last edited by peanutgallery; 03-31-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:48 PM

it's a software fix, once that is done, the vehicles are eligible to be resold.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 PM

Topical:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKBN1H50GQ
Old 04-11-2018, 02:56 PM

you're a couple weeks too late, already posted on the last page.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM

No California Vacation for Winterkorn

https://www.usnews.com/news/business...-cheating-case
Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Companies are amoral. The larger a company is, the more true that is. Without being overseen, they would cheat people, sell junk and pollute with impunity. That's why the area of the banks if the Mississippi river between Baton Rouge and New Orleans has 700 TIMES the cancer rate of the rest of the nation. When corporations are caught cheating the management just shrug their collective shoulders. The CEO will still get his golden parachute.

True. And to expect companies to behave differently is folly. It’s nice when they do positive things but sheesh, the profit and growth motive is a helluva thing.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisen View Post
True. And to expect companies to behave differently is folly. It’s nice when they do positive things but sheesh, the profit and growth motive is a helluva thing.
Am I correct in believing that for most corporations their sole legal responsibility is to make money for the owners/investors?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Am I correct in believing that for most corporations their sole legal responsibility is to make money for the owners/investors?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
That really isn't true. They are obligated, by law, to follow local, regional, state and national statutes, as they may apply to the business. Do they often try to skirt regulations, particularly if costly to follow. Yeah.

Might say a companies prime directive is to make money for its shareholders, whether private of public.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
That really isn't true. They are obligated, by law, to follow local, regional, state and national statutes, as they may apply to the business. Do they often try to skirt regulations, particularly if costly to follow. Yeah.

Might say a companies prime directive is to make money for its shareholders, whether private of public.
All true. However, the penalties for companies breaking the law is usually limited to fines. In many cases, the individuals who benefit from breaking laws are not the same as those that suffer from the punishments.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
All true. However, the penalties for companies breaking the law is usually limited to fines. In many cases, the individuals who benefit from breaking laws are not the same as those that suffer from the punishments.
Yeah, sometimes cheaper to pay the fine than do it the proper or legal way. Current climate appears to encourage evaluation of those equations, although that is hardly a new turn of events. Sometimes it doesn't work out well (early 70's Ford Pinto gas tanks).
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Yeah, sometimes cheaper to pay the fine than do it the proper or legal way. Current climate appears to encourage evaluation of those equations, although that is hardly a new turn of events. Sometimes it doesn't work out well (early 70's Ford Pinto gas tanks).
Well, it certainly did not work out well in this particular case. They saved $300 per car; it's cost them billions in fines and settlements, and some execs have gone to prison.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Well, it certainly did not work out well in this particular case. They saved $300 per car; it's cost them billions in fines and settlements, and some execs have gone to prison.
Are you sure about that? There have been some criminal charges and indictments, but I haven't heard of any prison sentences.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Are you sure about that? There have been some criminal charges and indictments, but I haven't heard of any prison sentences.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...208-story.html

Tags
autoscam, boring threads