Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 AM

Velo News-Chain Lube

Just got new copy of Velo. Has a chain lube comparison test. Very interesting. Paraffin wax seems to be their choice if you do not mind a little extra work.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

Awesome!

Hardly seems like extra work though according to this guy

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lubr...sing-Paraffin/

Thanks for that post though. Love learning something new
Old 01-27-2013, 06:58 AM

Is there no pre-dip cleaning? That would be nice. Did I understand that correctly?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 AM

I think it is more work than just applying lube. I would want the chain real clean. They had a very scientific study & wax worked better-less friction. I have not used melted paraffin wax on a chain since the 1970s. I think I will give it a try.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 AM

Isn't wax what the chain is lubricated with from the factory? I can get 300-400 miles out of the original chain wax, which rocks.

I would think you would have to clean it as well, but he didn't mention it in his instructions.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Its grease, straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/28/...-with-shimano/
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Its grease, straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/28/...-with-shimano/
Should be pointed out that it is also a rust inhibitor, since the chains, altho in plastic, do come over onna boat.

Used to wax chains, late 80s. Little metal tub of wax, into a pan of hot water..wax melts, chain goes in...pull out, onto a piece of newspapaer..let cool(harden) and then install. Lot of trouble for a short lived chainlube.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-28-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Velo News-Chain Lube

I used to wax my chains in the 90s. Performance used to sell cans of chain wax impregnated with Teflon. I wish I could find it again.

Wipe the chain off before dipping it (clean off old lube first time). After the chain has been waxed once, all you need to do is wipe the chain with a rag before waxing next time.

I prefer wax, as the chain lasts longer (IMO) and your drivetrain stays far cleaner than when you use lube.

One thing you can do if you don't have a wax heater: put the wax in old coffee can. Put the can into a pan of water so the bottom couple inches is submerged. Heat the pan on a hot plate or electric stove burner at a low heat until the wax is fully melted.

After removing the chain from the wax, I would drop it on an old towel. Let the wax dry fully. Then wipe all of the excess wax from the chain (not in your kitchen). There should be nothing left on your chain except a waxy film. Reinstall.

In hot weather, you will have to wax more frequently, but your chain stays clean and quiet for a good while.

If you are OCD, use two cans of wax. Use the first to dip and clean the dirty chain -- you can even leave it submerged in the melted wax for 30 secs or so. Wipe the chain immediately after removing it from wax, and then immediately dip in the can of clean wax.

I'm going to look for the wax heater. This seems to be a good, simple way to do this at a work bench.

Last edited by djg21; 01-27-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I used to wax my chains in the 90s. Performance used to sell cans of chain wax impregnated with Teflon. I wish I could find it again.

Wipe the chain off before dipping it (clean off old lube first time). After the chain has been waxed once, all you need to do is wipe the chain with a rag before waxing next time.

I prefer wax, as the chain lasts longer (IMO) and your drivetrain stays far cleaner than when you use lube.

One thing you can do if you don't have a wax heater: put the wax in old coffee can. Put the can into a pan of water so the bottom couple inches is submerged. Heat the pan on a hot plate or electric stove burner at a low heat until the wax is fully melted.

After removing the chain from the wax, I would drop it on an old towel. Let the wax dry fully. Then wipe all of the excess wax from the chain (not in your kitchen). There should be nothing left on your chain except a waxy film. Reinstall.

In hot weather, you will have to wax more frequently, but your chain stays clean and quiet for a good while.

If you are OCD, use two cans of wax. Use the first to dip and clean the dirty chain -- you can even leave it submerged in the melted wax for 30 secs or so. Wipe the chain immediately after removing it from wax, and then immediately dip in the can of clean wax.

I'm going to look for the wax heater. This seems to be a good, simple way to do this at a work bench.

Good info. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Wax suks. Just reno'd part of my basement and found an old can of wax. Tossed the damn thing in the waste.

Wax lasts maybe 100 miles.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Wasn't that 'waxing is a PITA' thing why White Lightning came about in the first place?

:ear

I'll stick to Tri-Flow in the spray can. Quick. Easy. Lasts a decent interval. (and I have a big can of it)

M
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM
cnighbor2

Paraffin wax

I tried Paraffin wax in wet Seattle. Maybe could for 250 miles before it had little effect after riding in the rain
Charles
PS I like Pro-Link Less dirt pickup so chain keeps clean lots longer and when applying cleans the chain. Just run chain while holding a rag around it
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

For me, the waxing, itself, is not a big deal. However, punching holes in a perfectly good chain just to clean it, is not my idea of safety (quicklinks excluded). I still think regular cleaning (say,,, every 200 miles) and re-lubing with a good homebrew, triflow, etc., goes a long way toward chain longevity.

Mike in AR
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM

I gave in waxing years ago - it never seemed to last and the chains seemed to wear quickly.

I now follow Zinn's advice - a quick wipe with ProGold afer (almost) every ride.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...d-chain_108165

Does the new article hav some new advice?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM

What was their reason for wax? Lower drag?