Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
It's uneducated comments like this that makes any serious discussion impossible.

What ignorance
Pardon? Not ignorant at all. Been following the OmKh case for years. Being snarky, yes...but certainly not uneducated.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I always find it interesting that anytime one starts talking about self protection there is always a segment of the population that reacts thinking that if you decide to carry a tool for the "what if" then you are just looking for trouble. In my experience, and we're talking a long time and many people, is that people who train regularly and responsibly are less likely to get into a confrontation in the first place. And if they do, they are more likely to deescalate the situation. If that doesn't work and it goes to blows, they are more likely to take it only as far as needed to end it. That ability comes from regular training, threat recognition (display/behavior), and the trained response to remain cool during the adrenaline dump of a confrontation.

It's the untrained people who think that if you have a tool on you you'll just whip it out at first contact and go nuts....and untrained people likely would, they have no learned control.
So, does this mean that you are in favor of mandatory training for gun owners? That seems to be implied in the 2nd amendment, which mentions to "a well regulated militia" when it refers to the right to bear arms.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I always find it interesting that anytime one starts talking about self protection there is always a segment of the population that reacts thinking that if you decide to carry a tool for the "what if" then you are just looking for trouble. In my experience, and we're talking a long time and many people, is that people who train regularly and responsibly are less likely to get into a confrontation in the first place. And if they do, they are more likely to deescalate the situation. If that doesn't work and it goes to blows, they are more likely to take it only as far as needed to end it. That ability comes from regular training, threat recognition (display/behavior), and the trained response to remain cool during the adrenaline dump of a confrontation.

It's the untrained people who think that if you have a tool on you you'll just whip it out at first contact and go nuts....and untrained people likely would, they have no learned control.
Were the police in Minneapolis trained? Tulsa? Charleston? Cincinnati?
Old 07-22-2017, 04:02 PM

God, guns & guts made America. Yee-haw.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Apparently a few of you would like to move this conversation into the gun debate realm, that's not my point in this thread. Again, my point is if you decide to carry...what ever that is... take some time to understand how to use it. You don't want to have the confrontation, if one ever happens, be the time that you try it out. Your choice of course and you can choose not to.

All within the confines of what is legal to possess in your State and Country.

William
Old 07-22-2017, 06:04 PM

This video is so disturbing. I'd love to know the backstory here.

Regarding guns, I don't think I would ever carry when riding. I love guns, love to shoot, but the thought of carrying openly or concealed bothers me. I've had three intense pistol classes over the years and consider myself very competent with a firearm, but the act of shooting someone else is last resort and only in a near hopeless situation (I pray). The risk of collateral damage, unintended discharge, and other unknown circumstances keep me from persuing a carry permit. Defend my home? Sure I have no problem with that. I keep loaded guns in the house, but even then the risk is huge. When I'm out, I assume the risk of my situation, whatever that situation may be. Riding is no different.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:28 PM

This thread needs to be blocked, it is serving no value other than anger and chest beating.

We need some women around here to keep things civil
Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Lock this POS up and throw away the damn key. Who the hell does this to anyone for something so petty as riding a bicycle?!? Disgusting.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Erm...okay. Except it is. Obviously. Only countries at war or experiencing societal breakdown due to crime and fractious economic injustice are as close to being as armed to the teeth as the US. I mean, you have gated communities there.

Gated communities. Think about that. Gated communities. With armed guards. And this isn't paranoid? Are you serious?

I admit I might have flown off the handle a bit, but I reacted to the idiot upthread. Casually suggesting that guns are the answer, as if the bizarre American gun culture were normative or even desirable in any other place in the world, tends to produce vehement reactions in Canadians. We live next door. We know what it's like.

No more politics from me on this.
Agree that an armed society is a paranoid society. For proof, look no further than the cop who shot the Australian woman in Minnesota. Police respond to a 911 call of possible sexual assault. Driver cop is "startled" by a sound, so the co-pilot shoots across the driver side window as the woman is walking up in her pajamas. Tell me that's not paranoia. Combine poor training of police with police knowledge that there's millions of guns out there and what do you expect?
Old 07-23-2017, 01:22 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Actually, the only thing that's been proven here is that some people don't respect this site's no politics rule.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:25 PM

Shhhh

Nothing like a good dust-up between the deplorables and the snow flakes

Carry on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Actually, the only thing that's been proven here is that some people don't respect this site's no politics rule.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Shhhh

Nothing like a good dust-up between the deplorables and the snow flakes

Carry on
That's a contender for post of the of the year.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:40 PM

Hey that's elitist, don't make fun of mechanical group users....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Shhhh

Nothing like a good dust-up between the deplorables....
Old 07-23-2017, 05:09 PM

>>Hey that's elitist, don't make fun of mechanical group users....

Finally - back on topic

....yes an old time mechancal user that doesn't even have smart phone...
Old 07-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Okay-

I think we've about covered this topic. Unless there is some news of the sentencing of the offender in the original video or some other news it's time to move on.