Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 10:53 AM

I frequently fly a twin prop from Portland to Sacramento - wondering if they'll take a bike on that for $25...if yes, my life (and need for n+1 packable bike) just improved...
Old 07-22-2017, 11:26 AM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
I fly them a couple times each year and think this is awesome. Def a west coast airline so dont think itll trigger any price war but would be cool if it did.
Not west coast only anymore. Their routes carry them to the Midwest, east coast and more than a few cities in Mexico.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Administrator

This is incredibly refreshing news to hear for an airline. I fly Air Alaska every now and then; but will do so more going forward.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 PM

Alaska is my airline of choice as well. I'm usually good for somewhere around 100,000 miles a year with them. This is great news, as there have been times I would have really liked to bring my Look to an event, rather than the travel bike.

I also fly quite a bit on United / Star Alliance and Southwest and believe that Alaska beats them all hands down for customer service. Plus when they screw-up, they own it and make good. I am a total Alaska fan-boy.

CaptStash....
Old 07-23-2017, 01:04 AM

This is great news! Anyone know if this extends to Virgin America as well? I have a trip next week and am packing my bike... would be great to avoid the regular bike fees there. Always hard to figure out which benefits are active and which are not during a merger.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:57 AM

Wish they flew more places so I could use them.

Getting ready to go to London then to Copenhagen a bit later. Will be screwed by the airlines at least thrice.

Hopefully other airlines will copy but doubtful.

Oh, and last time I flew I checked in right behind a guy with a golf bag big enough to be buried in. No charge. $150 for me.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:09 AM

They + Virgin = new interesting possibilities. Sadly their Socal to Norcal route lands at San Jose which is not convenient for me...
Old 07-23-2017, 11:37 AM

Never flown them before but it seems like they have a good reputation. Now to see where they fly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Nice, but I've never been able to take that airline seriously, due to their silly tail logo:

My GF flys with them. I asked her they had Johnny Cash on the tail. She told me that was actually Charles Manson.
And I'm supposed to let you guys know Alaska won the JDPowers award for best customer service 10 years in a row now. So keep flying them! She needs the job.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhapps View Post
This is great news! Anyone know if this extends to Virgin America as well? I have a trip next week and am packing my bike... would be great to avoid the regular bike fees there. Always hard to figure out which benefits are active and which are not during a merger.
Usually, until the merger is final (not just announced), the policies are different. I don't think this one is that far along.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:39 PM

My wife and i flew them to Hawaii last year and were very pleased with them. Nice planes, punctual, friendly staff.
On the way home we got to check a case of pineapples for free.

We typically fly Southwest for travel in the 48 contiguous states.

My only complaint is that they always seemed to run out of overhead space and began announcing to look for volunteers to check their carry ons, even before boarding began, and if they did not get enough volunteers they pick people.....that would not be so nice if you had fragile items/souvenirs in your carry on and got picked.