Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
if it came to it though, my biggest concern would be footing. i always cycling in road shoes with cleats, and you simply cant get firm, good footing in road shoes. you're always somewhat off balance and awkward, and any good fight starts with firm footing.

so yea - i just try my damnest to avoid physical confrontation. a fight in sidis is a losing battle.
One usually has just enough time to take shoes off as the bloke gets out of his vehicle.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
One usually has just enough time to take shoes off as the bloke gets out of his vehicle.
A cycling shoe in the hand makes for a good impact weapon. That said, I would prefer maneuverability.

As I touched on earlier, whatever tool one decides they need to carry you need to train with it to be proficient and effective. I mean, you wouldn't buy a bike and drive around with it on top of your car until you happened to come across a race and think you'll be able to jump on and win. Silly analogy...but not really.

William
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 AM

Avoid conflict at all costs- don't be ashamed to back down and walk away. Dont be confused with what you see on tv and in the movies, fights never happen like that. I grew up and live on the less desirable side of the tracks, I know dudes from my 'hood and old high school that are capable of some terrible $h!t and wouldn't wish their bad day on anybody. No matter how bad you think you are, just walk away, offer an apology and ride another day, 99.99% of the time this can be the end of it. To those who feel a side arm or weapon is the answer, I highly doubt you are prepared for the consequences of actually sending a round down range into another human being. Even if you are "right" you will face years of court, lawyers, relatives, wives, kids etc if you bury somebody. And as a former US Marine with combat experience I can tell you if you do that, it doesn't just go away and you will deal with it emotionally for years or decades- Yes, the world is full of idiots, and never underestimate the stupidity they can inflict upon you.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 AM

Best plan is to just get away, right up to the point you have no other choice. But it's really hard to remember that in the moment. It's not gonna be a fair fight. You are very vulnerable to an intentional act by another when on a bike, as much as you are to an accident. Avoidance is the best plan. Like blinky lights and riding in a safe position on the road.

That said, I've not followed my own advice many times over decades of riding and I'm still here. The only time I ever had someone who actually wanted to fight, it was over as soon as the guy realized I was a foot taller than he was. The best part about that one was the restaurant staff standing on the sidewalk who laughed loudly at the guy as he ranted at me. I think they embarrassed him.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Best plan is to just get away, right up to the point you have no other choice. But it's really hard to remember that in the moment. It's not gonna be a fair fight. You are very vulnerable to an intentional act by another when on a bike, as much as you are to an accident. Avoidance is the best plan. Like blinky lights and riding in a safe position on the road.

That said, I've not followed my own advice many times over decades of riding and I'm still here. The only time I ever had someone who actually wanted to fight, it was over as soon as the guy realized I was a foot taller than he was. The best part about that one was the restaurant staff standing on the sidewalk who laughed loudly at the guy as he ranted at me. I think they embarrassed him.

Yes, and very similar here. The majority of the time I just smile and wave as I continue on. Avoidance of confrontation is number one. If it can't be avoided, that's what training is for.

William
Old 07-22-2017, 08:53 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
To those who feel a side arm or weapon is the answer, I highly doubt you are prepared for the consequences of actually sending a round down range into another human being. Even if you are "right" you will face years of court, lawyers, relatives, wives, kids etc if you bury somebody.
Excellent point. I've thought a couple of times that when I'm riding in a new area out of state I might carry one of my pocket guns. Just not worth it.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Avoid conflict at all costs- don't be ashamed to back down and walk away. Dont be confused with what you see on tv and in the movies, fights never happen like that. I grew up and live on the less desirable side of the tracks, I know dudes from my 'hood and old high school that are capable of some terrible $h!t and wouldn't wish their bad day on anybody. No matter how bad you think you are, just walk away, offer an apology and ride another day, 99.99% of the time this can be the end of it. To those who feel a side arm or weapon is the answer, I highly doubt you are prepared for the consequences of actually sending a round down range into another human being. Even if you are "right" you will face years of court, lawyers, relatives, wives, kids etc if you bury somebody. And as a former US Marine with combat experience I can tell you if you do that, it doesn't just go away and you will deal with it emotionally for years or decades- Yes, the world is full of idiots, and never underestimate the stupidity they can inflict upon you.

Absolutely agree. Avoidance at all costs. But, I'm a firm believer in being ready if they decide they aren't going to let you walk away. Yes, their may be consequences after the fact but at least you are still on this earth to deal with them.

100% avoidance, unless you can't.

William
Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Absolutely agree. Avoidance at all costs. But, I'm a firm believer in being ready if they decide they aren't going to let you walk away. Yes, their may be consequences after the fact but at least you are still on this earth to deal with them.

100% avoidance, unless you can't.

William

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
The only time I ever had someone who actually wanted to fight, it was over as soon as the guy realized I was a foot taller than he was. The best part about that one was the restaurant staff standing on the sidewalk who laughed loudly at the guy as he ranted at me. I think they embarrassed him.
So it sounds like rather than carrying a defensive weapon, I should wear elevator cycling shoes!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Still the best defense:

Old 07-22-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Still the best defense:

That works pretty well with your meth boys, huh?
Old 07-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
That works pretty well with your meth boys, huh?
Believe it or not, yes! They are always on a mission, and that doesn't involve me.....at least not yet.

Did you happen to catch this one on the news?

Elementary teacher from my hometown....so proud:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crime...1b66a6bff.html

And now it is only a misdemeanor if caught using/dealing because our prisons are busting at the seams.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:16 PM

If you ridicule her and her disease you are truly an idiot.