Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
What a world we've made for ourselves where $30+ inner tubes are a thing.
Or $15,000 bicycles that after two years are “outdated” and have virtually no resale value, if they can be sold at all. The number of “Bump” posts on used bike stuff indicates that as much fun as bikes are, they often represent terrible value for money.

That said, I think I will try some of these tubes just to see if the weight savings is a noticeable thing.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:07 AM

30 dollar tubes do seem more reasonable than 1k handlebar stems but both seem a little crazy . That being said, most of us on here are kinda nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Or $15,000 bicycles that after two years are “outdated” and have virtually no resale value, if they can be sold at all. The number of “Bump” posts on used bike stuff indicates that as much fun as bikes are, they often represent terrible value for money.

That said, I think I will try some of these tubes just to see if the weight savings is a noticeable thing.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Tubeless, latex, butyl, TPU, makes no difference: you need to bring a pump.
Yes, but now you'd actually have to use it, and not just when you've already gone through the 2 CO2 canisters you also brought. Fellow members on group rides love sitting around waiting for 'that guy' who chooses to hand inflate his flat tire.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Yes, but now you'd actually have to use it, and not just when you've already gone through the 2 CO2 canisters you also brought. Fellow members on group rides love sitting around waiting for 'that guy' who chooses to hand inflate his flat tire.
Easy solution - don't go on group rides.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:36 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Fellow members on group rides love sitting around waiting for 'that guy' who chooses to hand inflate his flat tire.
man, if the group can wait an extra 2 minutes for me to pump my tire up, that's definitely not the group for me.. (and probably why I ride solo mostly to be honest..)
Old 04-02-2024, 03:46 PM

The TPU tube is great because it takes up so much less space than a normal one. That's worth a lot to me, especially since tubes live in my bag, as the sealant usually works.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Easy solution - don't go on group rides.
Or don't ride with a-holes.

I have had very very few mechanicals that were ever a problem on group rides, but I've been on rides where other people had major major issues and everyone was patient and did their best to try and help.

My worst road incident was managing to break a chain on the road in a century ride. I was like 50 miles from home, in a tight group, and someone kicked a stick into my chain while I was pedaling at like 95+ rpm. BOOM.

And I stupidly had neither extra bits of chain nor tools. Many, many people kindly stopped to try and help me but not one person had chain tools.

I learned my lesson that day. Wasted about 3 hours trying to get back to the start line via sag wagon.

Kind of ridiculous cause I've never broken a chain mountain biking despite probably 100+ times getting a stick in the chain.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:38 PM

Pretty much worthless advise when it comes to CO2: "Use it to top off, not do the initial inflation". No one uses CO2 on an under inflated tire. You use it when fixing a flat with a new tube.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:45 PM

One big benefit of the RH’s is the 50-70mm valve stem in the larger 700c size. The Schwalbes are only 40mm (others like Pirelli are similar) and are barely long enough for my FFWD Drift wheels.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:47 PM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents:

I bought a RideNow TPU tube a few months back just to see what the hype was about - and yeah, even compared to a nice Continental Race (most of the butyl tubes on the shelf), it was significantly lighter. I had no reason to pop it into a tire until recently - I signed up for an 81mi, 6100ft ride this coming weekend, so I figured I would take every advantage I could get to make it to the end. Front wheel gets a fresh GP5000 (from the Ultra Sport 2 that's been on there for >5k mi), rear end gets the TPU tube. A little less weight, a little less rolling resistance, everyone's happy, right?

Topped up the rear tire to 100psi immediately before a 27mi ride. Checked with the same pump gauge immediately after the ride, <2hrs later: 65psi. I just popped the butyl tube back in, as I'm pretty sure I don't want to have to look for a floor pump at the rest stops.

As an aside, after sitting on the side of a MUP for half an hour trying to get a tire up to usable pressure using a Blackburn hand pump (and eventually saved by a passing cyclist who gave me the rest of his CO2 cartridge)... I'm pretty sure I'll be carrying CO2 for a while. Or at least my barely frame-mountable Topeak Morph.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:53 PM

I just had a similar experience as above^ I was on a ride this past weekend and always carry TPU as a backup. Got a flat, swapped to the TPU tube and went on my way. When I checked the tire the next morning, the TPU tube was completely flat. I changed back to butyl tube, and pumped up the TPU tube to check for holes. nothing. no air leaking and even used soapy water to check for air bubbles. nothing. I can trust TPU tubes as a backup but I dont think I will run then for anything other than that.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishrabbi View Post
The TPU tube is great because it takes up so much less space than a normal one. That's worth a lot to me, especially since tubes live in my bag, as the sealant usually works.
That's a good usage case, but with the cheap TPU tubes, a good percentage have small leaks in them out of the box and they are not so easy to check out ahead of time as you can only inflate them to 5 psi before they herniate and ruin the tube. I have some light weight butyl tubes that take up little space as well.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:27 AM

A while back I bought a pair of the Cyclami TPU tubes but had a front blowout after hitting a rock. The spare also popped due to a hole in the tire sidewall I had not noticed. So, I went back to butyl. Still, I wanted to give them a longer test so bought another pair. The first pair held air just fine (except for that rock!), as does the second set. Maybe the fact that Cyclami uses metal valve stems is the reason. They cost around $5 a tube from AliExpress!

Tim
Old 04-14-2024, 07:44 AM

I ordered a handful of the RH TPUs.

My hope is that they work a bit better than latex tubes that I have in some wheels that I don’t ride often enough to set up tubeless.

Instagram
Old 04-14-2024, 12:22 PM

I ordered some RH tubes just for kicks as the polished stems and length will look great on one bike, and I can move the Tubolitos over to my other bike.

One of the big advantages that Tubolito tubes have over traditional tubes is that they hold air forever. It sounds like other TPU tubes do not, though?