Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

BTLOS vs Light Bicycle vs Elite-Wheels

Hi all, I have read reviews of all the above and they all seem to be good solid wheels. I'm looking to have built a set with DT Swiss 350 hubs, 35 deep rim brake with textured brake track, and Pilar spokes. I weigh 135 lbs. Any advice on which is preferred or something else to do with the build would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by TomP; Yesterday at 04:49 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Ridden both BTLOS and LB wheelsets. They both ride similarly. But in the deeps of my brain, if I squint hard enough, I feel LB rim's have a better finishing (for the same finish. But I would not hesitate to buy either.

No idea what Marvel is. But both LB and BTLOS are marvelous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
Hi all, I have read reviews of all the above and they all seem to be good solid wheels. I'm looking to have built a set with DT Swiss 350 hubs, 35 deep rim brake with textured brake track, and Pilar spokes. I weigh 135 lbs. Any advice on which is preferred or something else to do with the build would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

Thanks. The Marvel is actually the name of the rim. I should have said Elite wheels.
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Just got a set of LB on Bitex hubs with a gloss finish. Took 2 months to get em. The finish feels a little better than my farsports but could just be the glossy finish.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...8&postcount=47
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Sunshine

My experience with btlos 5 months ago will make it tough for me to look elsewhere when I buy another carbon wheelset.

The lack of spoke holes is awesome since the wheels are pre-built.
They are easy to select options and buy, the cost is great, and they delivered in less than 4 weeks.

Fwiw, I will continue to buy bitex hubs until I experience any of them being an issue in any manner. They cost less and are lighter than 350s.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

I like BTLOS vs Light Bicycle. They're both very good. I would decide simply on which has the rim specifications you exactly want - internal width, depth, weight, time to delivery etc.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

BTLOS built by OldPotatoe here is the way to go
Old Today, 08:38 AM

Thanks again. I've decided to now go with Bitex hubs after further reading and review. I'm 99% sure I'll also go with the BTLOS.
Old Today, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
Thanks again. I've decided to now go with Bitex hubs after further reading and review. I'm 99% sure I'll also go with the BTLOS.
I have two sets of BTLOS wheels with Bitex hubs. Both have a very occasional clunk from the freehub. Brandon at BikeHubStore (awesome resource!) said that is a known issue with those hubs (they're the current disc hub that BTLOS carries) and he sent me replacement pawl springs. I did the replacements, and also cleaned out the original heavier grease and re-lubed with some synthetic oil (I think Old P suggested this). The clunk is less frequent but is not gone altogether.

I realize that the Bitex hubs are lighter than the DT 350s but I wish I'd chosen them instead. I have three other wheelsets with DT hubs (oddly, 180, 240, and 350) and they are flawless.
Old Today, 09:55 AM

I would lean towards Light Bicycle one because I have a set that have worked well, and two, for this application, the Light Bicycle rim is a bit more modern dimensions at 21mm internal/28mm external vs. BTLOS at 19mm/26mm.
Old Today, 10:13 AM

I have LB and farsports wheels LB is a bit nicer. Stick with DT350s they're the best, outroll just about anything after 25k+ miles and zero maintenance (well special grease on the ratchet 1x a year)