Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77
euro bike shops must be the best currency hedgers on the planet to support product dumping like that.

i can understand a 10% (+/-) or so discount offered by lower cost/larger scale mail order house for bike stuff (u.s. or offshore based), but 50%+?

that's some f'd up control (or lack thereof) of distribution. talk about screwing the retailer.
3 things are happening.

Unrestricted OEM resale, bike maker buys 10,000 groups, resells 1000 at huge discount.

Reseller buys complete bikes(happening with EPS right now)-strips EPS, resells at huge discount(no warranty-has to be hooked to the OE maker)

Back door sales-reseller goes direct to Campagnolo, suitcase full of Euros...buys groups.

I just looked at Ribble(I think), Wiggle, someplace and their prices are about like mine..

Euro law prevents what is done in the US...buy something and sell for whatever you wish BUT may not be able to buy again.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner
and we're all saying that you *might* lose that warranty, as there's no guarantee that ribble or shiny are selling legitimate non-grey market product (while velomine guarantees they are).
Why support the Illinois economy?
Buy from your LBS and support your local economy.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedNotBroken
I was using it as an example..good luck. Talk to OldPotato..I am sure he has warrantied parts many times and has dealt with customers who purchased products from the UK.

Yes I have. Not a ton of warranty, mostly Fders...and one set of levers..no sticker on levers, no warranty..but I fixed them(2009 Chorus).
Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
Not discussing Mail order vs LBS. (and anyway, you'll still have to send your defect parts to a US Service Center, so save your receipt!), we're discussing how there is no loss of warranty by buying from UK mail-order.

As mentioned, depends on the item. I have had some items refused warranty(FD-broken clamp) for a bogus distribution route.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
Yes I have. Not a ton of warranty, mostly Fders...and one set of levers..no sticker on levers, no warranty..but I fixed them(2009 Chorus).
11 speed shifters?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
As mentioned, depends on the item. I have had some items refused warranty(FD-broken clamp) for a bogus distribution route.
I agree that this happens, I just find it hard to believe that it doesn't happen with the US Mail Order shops.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
11 speed shifters?
Running change and also warranty item for a new take up reel, black in color(old one white), that didn't drag on the ERGO body..warranty item but no stickers, no warranty but I have the spools, so replaced them for about $40.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I agree that this happens, I just find it hard to believe that it doesn't happen with the US Mail Order shops.
It only happens with some that have very low, UK-esque type pricing because of where they get their stuff. The more standard places, the ones with more 'standard' prices, get their Campag stuff from the same places I do.

What some will 'say' is 'full warranty', but the warranty is thru them, not Campagnolo or a warranty center. Like Colnago does to this day..distributor warranties the frame, Colnago doesn't.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It only happens with some that have very low, UK-esque type pricing because of where they get their stuff. The more standard places, the ones with more 'standard' prices, get their Campag stuff from the same places I do.

What some will 'say' is 'full warranty', but the warranty is thru them, not Campagnolo or a warranty center. Like Colnago does to this day..distributor warranties the frame, Colnago doesn't.
Well, probikekit.com has low prices (lower than US mail-order), but not very low (the savings are when you wait for their 10%-20% discounts), and since they advertise in US publications, I see no reason not to trust them.

Still, I use my LBS whenever I can, but sometimes......
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Campy Nut

Ribble has the Record 11 group for $1,698.07..Velomine has the group for $1,750 and if you swap out the cassette to get the longer lasting Chorus one, it'd be about $1,625..Velomine FTW. Paying those extra few dollars is worth it to me. Regardless, I hope you get what you want and it's awesome that you ride Campy as well. In the end, all that matters is that you have fun cycling!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM

....and $1777 (Record w/chorus casette) at probikekit.com before any discounts (they frequently have at least a 10% discount).

Last edited by Tony T; 03-08-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
....and $1777 (Record w/chorus casette) at probikekit.com before any discounts (they frequently have at least a 10% discount).
For the amount you save..not worth the hassle for me. Anyway, i'm done trying to beat the dead horse. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
For the amount you save..not worth the hassle for me. Anyway, i'm done trying to beat the dead horse. Good luck.
With their 10% specials + the 10% magazine code, that's about a $200 difference from Velomine.

Really, I'm happy for you that $200 means nothing to you, but for me, it's worth the "hassle" of waiting an extra week for delivery.

(...also through with this dead horse)

...anyway, its the OP that's looking for "Current best prices on Campy", not you, and not me. (And I hope that he gets the best price from his LBS)

Tony

Last edited by Tony T; 03-08-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:14 PM

I wish my LBS had prices that I could do. I always go to my LBS first. I buy most of my little things form my LBS. I bought my race bike from them too.

But on gear the prices are double. Not just Campy.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Well, it's always worth it to check with them (and pick up a few clif bars while there )
Closed Thread