Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 08:46 AM

Perfect cassette and rotor spacing between wheelsets

Is this a pipe dream? Is it even remotely possible? Am I just too anal?

What do people to do to if they want to get to this magical situation. I understand braking tracks are not going to perfect, especially when different rim widths come in, but the specific goal here is for disc.

2 wheelsets, one stock, one new take off of something else. One Fulcrum and One DT Swiss Centerlock 11spd thru axle wheelsets.

Fulcrum wheel puts the disc a touch more 'outboard' than the DT swiss wheel. If I adjust the caliper to fit without rubbing on the Fulcrum wheel, the Fulcrum disc rubs the outboard pad, AND vise versa.

Similar issue with the Cassette, limits need to be pulled in on one wheelset vs the other.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:58 AM

That's exactly the reason I do not understand why some teams are wanting to use disc stuff in the road, unless all the manufacturers want to come up with a standard for hubs and thickness of the rotors I do not see how not to avoid problems like this.

Maybe they need to come up with an hydro system of calipers similar to what cars use, with a back pad that floats in to bushing pins pieces, that should take care of the problem, but it means to pay money for patents and stuff.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:03 PM

Cassette and rotor offset issues are usually addressed with shims/spacers. If the cassette offset is very small, then you can try a spacer under the cassette to offset the cassette to the right. Alternatively, you can readjust hub offset by shuffling axle spacers (although this may require a redish, if the offset is more than a millimeter or 2).

For the rotor, shims are made for this specific purpose:

Sadly, both solutions come down to customizing wheels for a specific application, and so your wheels may be interchangeable on your bike, but may not be interchangeable with other people's bikes. Ultraman is right, this really needs standardization if it is to become the norm.

Last edited by Mark McM; 10-21-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Yep, shims exist.

To add, there are shims for both 6bolt and centerlock.

Here's a post from November Bikes showing their shims for centerlock, apparently they do a lot of them.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:59 PM

There's A REASON why all my wheels use the same hub-it saves a lot of headaches.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt eunuch View Post
Is this a pipe dream? Is it even remotely possible? Am I just too anal?

What do people to do to if they want to get to this magical situation. I understand braking tracks are not going to perfect, especially when different rim widths come in, but the specific goal here is for disc.

2 wheelsets, one stock, one new take off of something else. One Fulcrum and One DT Swiss Centerlock 11spd thru axle wheelsets.

Fulcrum wheel puts the disc a touch more 'outboard' than the DT swiss wheel. If I adjust the caliper to fit without rubbing on the Fulcrum wheel, the Fulcrum disc rubs the outboard pad, AND vise versa.

Similar issue with the Cassette, limits need to be pulled in on one wheelset vs the other.
Probably aren't gonna do it unless hub brands are identical.

And even today, this year, in the pro pelOton, with nearly identical 11s cogsets...the shifting isn't perfect a lot of times with a neutral service wheel..gonna be a bag of monkeys when they throw discs into the mix...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-22-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 AM

I really don't think any of the teams are really wanting or pushing to use disc brakes this just being one reason. However, there are a lot of sponsors of those teams wanting them to use disc brakes and money talks.