Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Can I have it all in a road bike?

I currently ride a supersix evo himod and love it to death. I've also picked up a DB Haanjo for commuting and occasional backpacking trip. I've been riding a lot less these days and am now dealing with apartment life and would like to combine the two. I'm looking for soemthing that will fit 30's with fender and 42x650b for bike packing and I'd like it to have the handling of my supersix. While I love the the flexibility of the Haanjo it has a 69* HTA in my size and is not an inspiring road bike.

I'm sure I could have something custom made, Davidson and Hampsten are down the street, but what do I do about a fork? I dont want a cross fork with tons of empty clearances. Will an ENVE Gravel fork fit a 650x42? Are there other options?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Imshi Cycles

its called a cyclocross bike

a bike that "handles like your supersix" will not feel quite so awesome loaded up for bikepacking purposes.

i would recommend a cx frame with a steeper HTA (72.5-73*) and a lower bb (67.5-70).
buy the right bike and it could potential combine your commuter, road bike, cx bike, gravel bike, bikepacking bike, gravel packing bike, cyclogravel trike, etc etc...into one.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 10-20-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM

yes yes, i know, but i hate the look of a 30mm road tire with huge clearances around the tire.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
yes yes, i know, but i hate the look of a 30mm road tire with huge clearances around the tire.
well, seeing as how you are riding a lot less and dealing with apt life now...it sounds like you might want to consider making some aesthetic compromises (which matter the least IMO) in the name of functionality...i agree its not the best look but ill happily (and do) deal with it for the added versatility of being able to put whatever tire or tire/fender combo on my bike that i can dream up.

build capability into your bikes, not limitations!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Classics Fan

key word here is compromise. The more all purpose you make a bike the more you're going to have to compromise on specific things that make it good (functionally or aesthetically) in a single domain.

Personally, 2 bikes is not excessive. The rack that can store 2 bikes vertically might be a better solution than trying to substitute a single all purpose bike for two bikes that are pretty good at what they do.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
key word here is compromise. The more all purpose you make a bike the more you're going to have to compromise on specific things that make it good (functionally or aesthetically) in a single domain.

Personally, 2 bikes is not excessive. The rack that can store 2 bikes vertically might be a better solution than trying to substitute a single all purpose bike for two bikes that are pretty good at what they do.
Well there are also the mountain bikes
Old 10-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Can I have it all in a road bike?

You can have a lot in one bike, but you can't have the one vital that we all demand and rely on... multiple bikes!

But all seriousness aside, the fork shouldn't be anything to hold you back. I asked about this a couple of weeks ago and got a WEALTH of information here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211063
Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM

Lemond Poprad disc would do it.

Two wheelsets.

One 650b
One 700c
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM

i basically just went through this myself. Ended up with a cross bike, road gearing and slick 35s. I am very happy. I also have no issues with cantis and the prices have dropped down on frames tremendously. I dont plan on riding too much dirt, or i would go with a compact/ 1x gearing.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:45 PM

You can get a single bike that works with both, as others have suggested, by going with disc brakes and different wheels. But you're still going to have aesthetic compromises. And the storage problem of at least one extra set of wheels.

I'd recommend looking for a rack or other storage solution that has good aesthetics and sticking with the two bikes you already have.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Of course you can. This +two sets of wheels, done!
Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Glory bound

I demo'd a Chebacco earlier this summer, and it was the shizzle.
Didn't take it very far off-road (still recovering from the broken hip at that point), so a second set of smaller tires/lighter wheels were the only thing that would have improved that baby.
Two sets of wheels would cover the waterfront, IMO.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
I think I know what you mean here. I use my CX bike for the majority of my riding--usually with like 28-30mm to cover all the road riding I do as well as dirt roads, etc. Initially, I don't like the look of the skinnier tires when I'm used to more knobby or 35-38s. But I definitely forget about it after the first switchover.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:41 PM

In a couple months you can have this: I could live with it as my only bike.

http://www.konaworld.com/rove_ltd.cfm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rove_ltd.jpg (94.7 KB, 472 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 02:42 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Lemond Poprad disc would do it.

Two wheelsets.

One 650b
One 700c
was thinking Soma DoubleCross Disc....very similar in the 'one-bike-to-rule-them-all' category. Niner RLT steel?