Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 07:14 PM

First carbon wheels, did not go well

I had posted earlier that I was looking for carbon wheels. I really like my Joe Young DT240s/RR440 set which are about 5 years old but just wanted something new and different. I ended up getting a pair of Reynolds Assault SLG carbon clinchers. One short ride later and I was not happy.

As soon as I started out I knew something was wrong as the rear wheel had a pronounced hop. I did not see any out of round issues when I first checked the wheel out. It turned out the tire bead did not fully seat. A few inches of bead were still down in the rim center channel and it took lots of tugging to get it to move even a little. My guess is the middle has a sharp transition to the hook and the bead kind of got stuck there. The tires, Michelin Pro 4s, were taken off my DT wheels. I went back out and other things started to bother me. The rear had a tinkling sound so I thought something was loose in the rim but shaking it revealed nothing. When I pushed up a hill there was a bit of brake rub on the rear. The braking seemed fine but the front had a slight pulse. On top of all that, the ride quality seemed rougher than my aluminum set. I understood carbon wheels were actually better at smoothing things out. The rear hub may have issues as the spacers kept falling out when I was trying to put the rear wheel in place.

In any event, the shop who sold them to me have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and were happy to take them back. So, other than getting tubulars, which I am not going to do, I am not sure how to scratch the new wheel itch. I don't want new wheels that don't offer anything above what my current set have. I am curious about the new, wider aluminum rims (19-20mm internal) that promise to provide a better tire shape. Or, is this mostly marketing?

Tim
Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I am curious about the new, wider aluminum rims (19-20mm internal) that promise to provide a better tire shape. Or, is this mostly marketing?

Tim
I think there is truth to the wider rim phenomenon. They spread out the tire a bit more creating a bit more volume. This allows for lower pressure and consequently a nicer ride, all while not losing any efficiency and possibly gaining some as it seems lower pressure tires actually have lower resistance over coarse surfaces.

I'm a fan of 23mm tires on wide rims as they spread out to about 25mm. But most folks seem to like 25mm tires that spread out to 27 or more mm of width.

I run mine at 80/75 rear and front and they're quite nice.

I know that's not the answer to your carbon wheel issue but it is my experience with wider rims.

As far as carbon rims smoothing out the ride, I call bologna sausage on that one. I've had carbon rims and they are not smoother. I won't say they're rougher either but they're certainly no smoother.

I sold a pair of ENVE 3.4s this spring and went with some wider aluminum rims (Boyd Altamont Lites in this case) for my daily riding. No regrets.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

I sold a pair of ENVE 3.4s this spring and went with some wider aluminum rims (Boyd Altamont Lites in this case) for my daily riding. No regrets.
Thanks. The Boyd Altamont Lites are a set I have my eye on. The roads around here are very hilly and my average speed is really not fast enough to merit deep section rims I believe. Plus, I don't race. At this stage, I like a light and lively pair of wheels that are both comfortable and reliable. I have a small stockpile of Pro4 25mm tires so I will keep using them for the time being.

Tim
Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Vendor

if you want durability, reliability and good looks, get a set of Campy Shamal wheels if you are running Campy or a set of Fulcrum wheels if Shimano.
And they aren't horrible heavy or anything. Stiff, solid, excellent braking.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Dadwatts

I've owned many carbon and alum wheels over the years and I will say that the RFSW3s over at November Bicycles has me wanting to go back to alum.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 PM

I'm ordering a set of Hunt 4 season areos as soon as they're back in stock—wide aluminum and very reasonably priced. Have heard great things about their carbon selection too... if you were willing to give carbon another try.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3pkay View Post
I'm ordering a set of Hunt 4 season areos as soon as they're back in stock—wide aluminum and very reasonably priced. Have heard great things about their carbon selection too... if you were willing to give carbon another try.
I second that Hunt has an excellent product. I have them on bikes here and they are really nice for for the money.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 PM

A good friend of mine has a carbon wheel company. He is not a site sponsor so, the company will remain nameless. Suffice to say they quality wheels. He is very sensitive to ride quality to the extent that he has strong opinions about spoke count. Too many equals too stiff. He has some other opinions as well ....interesting discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 PM

In my feeble mind, there is no sense in going carbon unless you're using tubular.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:54 AM

Carbon rims also seem to make more sense when fitted to a disc-braked bike, since the rim isn't part of the braking system.

And carbon can keep weight low as a wider rim profile is used.

So carbon rims can be part of the contemporary package deal, with wider inside width giving more-vertical tire sidewalls, which increases lateral support between the tread and the rim, so improves steering response, and reduces rolling resistance by reducing the sharpness of the bend in the tire casing around the flat contact patch.
And deep aero profiles don't have to weigh so much extra when the rim material is carbon versus extruded aluminum.

But at the end of the day I am not willing to go with carbon rims for my modest level of master's racing and spirited training rides. I do have an older pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels with 13mm inside width, but I seldom use them.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
if you want durability, reliability and good looks, get a set of Campy Shamal wheels if you are running Campy or a set of Fulcrum wheels if Shimano.
Sorry, but I've had a few Shamals in my shop. Not impressed at all. Two different wheels had the nipple seized to the spoke from misthreading. None of them had any grease or other lubrication on them. I broke a spoke just trying to true one spoke that the nipple was frozen on. The weak point of the spoke is at the transition from blade to round.

They sure do look nice, but they are disposable. The rims cost a fortune and so to the spokes. At what they cost most people to buy (the reality is most people buy them from Europe), you throw them out when there's an issue. I used to have much love for Campagnolo wheels and still do like other wheels in their lineup. Aluminium spokes? No thanks.

Last edited by ergott; 10-20-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:25 AM
aka RAEKWON

you had a bad experience but leta be honest here, something was wrong with that wheelset you tried. Personally I would take them back and try something else and if and only then I would have an opinion.

The seating of the tire is not usually a problem with carbon rims and although I have had a wheelset that pulsed in the front, that is not the norm (my reynolds attack did not do that, they were excellent). The brake rub is also strange but It is probably because the way the reynolds are laced (maybe not laterally stiff enough for your power)

I would really give other wheels a try. But otherwise I would go with bont altamont lite ceramic. Gets looks of carbon, with great braking.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
you had a bad experience but leta be honest here, something was wrong with that wheelset you tried. Personally I would take them back and try something else and if and only then I would have an opinion.

The seating of the tire is not usually a problem with carbon rims and although I have had a wheelset that pulsed in the front, that is not the norm (my reynolds attack did not do that, they were excellent). The brake rub is also strange but It is probably because the way the reynolds are laced (maybe not laterally stiff enough for your power)

I would really give other wheels a try. But otherwise I would go with bont altamont lite ceramic. Gets looks of carbon, with great braking.
The wheels are on their way back. I must admit, the appeal of carbon is mostly a looks thing. The Altamont ceramics tick that same box, I just don't like the look of a silver brake track. Stupid, I know, but a cool looking bike sort of makes you want to ride it. At the end of the day, I have a really nice pair of Joe Young wheels. I don't want to change for the sake of change. But, if new style rims can improve the ride in some way, as the 19-20 mm internal spacing type claim, I could be tempted. The ceramics do cost more and I am not sure there is much to gain other than looks. The search continues. And, I may just stay where I am.

Tim
Old 10-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Or Shamals if you are running shimano or Fulcrum if Campagnolo...FHBs mix and match all Campag and Fulcrum wheels, shimano->Campag and back..

You knew that but for the 'gallery'...
Old 10-20-2017, 07:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I had posted earlier that I was looking for carbon wheels. I really like my Joe Young DT240s/RR440 set which are about 5 years old but just wanted something new and different. I ended up getting a pair of Reynolds Assault SLG carbon clinchers. One short ride later and I was not happy.

As soon as I started out I knew something was wrong as the rear wheel had a pronounced hop. I did not see any out of round issues when I first checked the wheel out. It turned out the tire bead did not fully seat. A few inches of bead were still down in the rim center channel and it took lots of tugging to get it to move even a little. My guess is the middle has a sharp transition to the hook and the bead kind of got stuck there. The tires, Michelin Pro 4s, were taken off my DT wheels. I went back out and other things started to bother me. The rear had a tinkling sound so I thought something was loose in the rim but shaking it revealed nothing. When I pushed up a hill there was a bit of brake rub on the rear. The braking seemed fine but the front had a slight pulse. On top of all that, the ride quality seemed rougher than my aluminum set. I understood carbon wheels were actually better at smoothing things out. The rear hub may have issues as the spacers kept falling out when I was trying to put the rear wheel in place.

In any event, the shop who sold them to me have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and were happy to take them back. So, other than getting tubulars, which I am not going to do, I am not sure how to scratch the new wheel itch. I don't want new wheels that don't offer anything above what my current set have. I am curious about the new, wider aluminum rims (19-20mm internal) that promise to provide a better tire shape. Or, is this mostly marketing?

Tim
DT411..appropriate spoke count with some sweet hubs...hard to beat!!

OC rear as well...email if you'd like to go that route

cp51errc@gmail.com