Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 08:50 PM

The Hip are practically the national rock band of Canada. No one ever wrote songs as distinctly Canadian as them. Plus they were really great people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I've seen the hip / Gord Downie multiple times.
1) At a weird club in Toldeo, the club actually ran out of beer and we were knee deep in beer cans. This was in 1993 or 1994, we actually stayed in the same cheap motel they were in and ran into them at the mcdonalds for breakfast.
2) At a charity event with only 200 people in a barn. This was 2 years ago
3) Gord Downie solo at a charity dinner, with dancers and other musicians, made the typically horrible event great. This was 5 or 6 years ago.
4) With the Sadies, in a barn with 200 people. This was 3 years ago
5) At the old Ontario Place forum - first time I saw them, Gord got fixated on talking to his shoes. This was in 1990 or so.
Whoa details on this barn? Sadies and the Hip in a small venue sounds like TO rock heaven. Remember seeing them at the Horseshoe a bunch of times while I was at UofT.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
We down south of the border miss some of this really good music. Another icon, Great Big Sea went down. I just heard of this guy from Canadian colleague - good stuff and certainly a better human being. President Trudeau has tears down both his eyes doing commentary this morning.
Canada does not have a President.

We have a Prime Minister.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 PM

Sad, posted the other day "Long Time Running" in the What's stuck in your head right now thread.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...126912&page=47
Old 10-19-2017, 01:17 AM

I just fiddled with my wife's bike for a bit and played Hip songs in the background.

'Bobcaygeon' is such a great song.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
The Hip are practically the national rock band of Canada. No one ever wrote songs as distinctly Canadian as them. Plus they were really great people.

Whoa details on this barn? Sadies and the Hip in a small venue sounds like TO rock heaven. Remember seeing them at the Horseshoe a bunch of times while I was at UofT.
My sister is a small concert organizer and helps organize a fundraiser for an organization called the stop every year. The barn is at a place called the new farm. The event also includes some of Toronto's best chefs making food for $5 a plate. Other acts that have played this event include Sloan, the stars, sadies, joel plaskett, basically mid size to large can con bands. Best part the tickets are typically $50.

I should also note, the best NYE party is the sadies at the horseshoe. Usually have pretty good secret guests and they play for 3-4 hours straight.

Last edited by pdonk; 10-19-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added details
Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
https://m.pinkbike.com/video/125904/

SNL performance of Grace,too.

I’ve been watching a lot of their old concerts lately. YouTube is a wonderful thing.
Thanks for this - blast from the past. Regardless of whether you like the Hip's music, you gotta love Gord's wiggling and flailing around. So great.

KJ
Old 10-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
'Bobcaygeon' is such a great song.
I was watching the leafs beat up on my wings last night so I just put the tv on mute and was watching live performances online and had to listen to it. I may have sang along as well.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:12 PM

Twitter users in Canada will have seen that "Ry Cooder" was trending yesterday. That's very relevant to Hip fans.

I don't think the country has been this collectively sad since Terry Fox died.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:02 AM

Sad indeed.

My fav song by far of theirs, Nautical Disaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovf9THhbaHg

But also 50 Mission Cap, Ahead By A Century, Three Pistols, etc. Awesome music.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:52 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...bany-1.4360208

This is why people love Gord Downie. The kid in the story just posted a couple of days ago upon Gord's passing. Tragically Hip was playing in a rural aboriginal community and the kids asked him to guest for their highschool band - he said he would be honoured to do it
Old 10-20-2017, 02:07 PM

A lot has been made of The Hip's lack of commercial success outside of Canada; I don't have too much to say about that, other than to be envious of all the under-attended shows the Hip did in the US. What I will say is that I am happy to see how much love the Hip and Gord are getting from American Paceliners. It's cool to hear that even in their small following outside of Canada, there's still a lot of appreciation for the band.

Anyways, it's really sad news. The Hip pretty much provided the soundtrack to my life. Last year's Kingston show felt (to me) like a modern Group of Seven moment for Canada. I'm not particularly given to hyperbole, so I might even be right about that!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 PM

Some of their more recent albums are really good. Now for plan A, In between evolution, and man machine poem are some of my favorites.
Imposibilium, might be my favorite song actually, something about the lines “Roses are worth more dried than alive such a thing to say O how I adore you when you reinvent a rose cliché”
“but your finger starts to wiggle and landscapes emerge”

My other thought is how Gords passing is pulling the country together where ours is becoming more hate filled, and divided every day.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:28 PM

>>Canada does not have a President. We have a Prime Minister.

Sorry, major mistake - Just typed without thinking.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
>>Canada does not have a President. We have a Prime Minister.

Sorry, major mistake - Just typed without thinking.
Seriously, no worries; I doubt any of us took any offence.

Last edited by Black Dog; 10-21-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:31 PM

I was too young to get into the club they played in my home town after their first EP came out. I did see them when Up to Here came out the next year, and a few other times over the years. Lots of years with this band in the background.

My wife loves them, but had never seen them, and last summer's tour was obviously the last chance. I paid a breathtaking amount for good seats at one of the Toronto three-night stand. It was a near-religious experience. I'll never again see 30,000 people smiling and dancing and crying at the same time.