Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 04:59 PM

I've had a big tube of Phil Wood since the mid 1990's. Wanted to try something different: Morgan Blue Campa Grease. Looks and tastes like the real Campagnolo grease, less the magic fairy dust. Plus it's made in some Belgian guy's garage and costs $9 a jar.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Phil's grease is too thick for 'race' wheels and slows them down. Since this thread started in the context of CX racing I thought it was worth mentioning. Slick Honey will last a full season for most people under normal conditions and is much faster in a hub or bottom bracket than the Phil's everybody is hung up on. But like I mentioned before, grease recommendations are directly related to how much maintenance you're willing to do.
Slick Honey is what I use on my hubs and BB. Several hub manufactures also recommend SH for their hubs. Everything else get water proof grease, whatever is available at my local auto store.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I've had a big tube of Phil Wood since the mid 1990's. Wanted to try something different: Morgan Blue Campa Grease. Looks and tastes like the real Campagnolo grease, less the magic fairy dust. Plus it's made in some Belgian guy's garage and costs $9 a jar.
Close, very close, but...Gipiemme another -ala Campag-
Old 10-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Absolutely nothing smelled better than this. What else do you need to know?
+1...Yankee Candle for your bike mechanic spouse.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Has the way Phil's grease smelled changed? I used up my tube recently and the new one stinks. The old one had a nice "mechanical/industrial" smell.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYUZIW0kEPM
Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Phil's grease is too thick for 'race' wheels and slows them down. Since this thread started in the context of CX racing I thought it was worth mentioning. Slick Honey will last a full season for most people under normal conditions and is much faster in a hub or bottom bracket than the Phil's everybody is hung up on. But like I mentioned before, grease recommendations are directly related to how much maintenance you're willing to do.
After repacking my DA cup and cone hubs with Phil grease and running a couple of rides, I can put the wheel in a stand and spin while I go have lunch, watch a quarter of the football game that I could care less about, then have a beer, then go back to the garage and the wheel "might" stop spinning completely, but it will still rock back and forth as it's not perfectly balanced .., pop another beer and another 15 mins later it's still going like my antique pendulum clock ...

I really doubt this will affect my next race, I think my unshaven face will have more drag.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:49 PM

Phil + syringe

Also a big proponent of Phil Woods Weatherproof Grease. I use a small syringe with a plastic tip for pinpoint dispensing, really can keep things clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2085.jpg (73.3 KB, 90 views)