Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 06:42 AM

What gear do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopwalters View Post
IMG_0853 by CW Sleasman, on Flickr

Great weather, 160 miles, 10k elevation, one cog, no problems.

I love this bike so much.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:20 AM

What gear to you use?

Quote:
IMG_0853 by CW Sleasman, on Flickr

Great weather, 160 miles, 10k elevation, one cog, no problems.

I love this bike so much.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
What gear to you use?
38x18. Although I may try a 20 next time as I think I’ll be carrying a little more weight. But it worked really well. Felt comfortable on the flats, nice and steady without being too overbearing whenever rollers starting kicking up and I still could mash it over all the steep stuff in Mt. Kisco. I had a 44x20 but it was killing me.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:49 PM

Blanco. Tx

Cloudy but we had many brief views of the sun during the eclipse and were able to see the corona twice, we were fortunate - the whole experience was awesome. It’s amazing how much light is generated by a tiny sliver of sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (16.6 KB, 238 views)
Old 04-08-2024, 04:55 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
38x18. Although I may try a 20 next time as I think I’ll be carrying a little more weight. But it worked really well. Felt comfortable on the flats, nice and steady without being too overbearing whenever rollers starting kicking up and I still could mash it over all the steep stuff in Mt. Kisco. I had a 44x20 but it was killing me.
I've never seen anything like that -- is it for running SS but without having to perfectly size the chain, and making it easier to change flats?
Old 04-08-2024, 05:26 PM

Mt Ord, 7128’

The highest peak in the surrounding area, all of Phoenix is visible as is Roosevelt Lake and the white mountains far in the distance. A gravel bike friendly but very rough dirt road at times climbs 7mi to the top from the beeline highway.. I found it much more enjoyable on the mtb. Fun facts it took me about 1hr20min to ascend and 18min to descend.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-08-2024 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I've never seen anything like that -- is it for running SS but without having to perfectly size the chain, and making it easier to change flats?
Paul Components SS Tensioner! Wonderful little gizmo.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...ain-tensioner/
Old 04-08-2024, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Mt Ord, 7128’

The highest peak in the surrounding area, all of Phoenix is visible as is Roosevelt Lake and the white mountains far in the distance. A gravel bike friendly but very rough dirt road at times climbs 7mi to the top from the beeline highway.. I found it much more enjoyable on the mtb. Fun facts it took me about 1hr20min to ascend and 18min to descend.

Damn! That looks epic!
Old 04-08-2024, 06:11 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Paul Components SS Tensioner! Wonderful little gizmo.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...ain-tensioner/
Neat-o! I notice that they recommend having the pulleys vertical, any particular reason you have it configured the way you do? (Just curious, I don't honestly see myself doing a SS conversion.) Tx
Old 04-08-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Neat-o! I notice that they recommend having the pulleys vertical, any particular reason you have it configured the way you do? (Just curious, I don't honestly see myself doing a SS conversion.) Tx
Laziness, mostly. I meant to cut the chain a little shorter when I was installing the chainring and cog but I haven't noticed any issues so far. It's been smooth.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:39 PM
Vendor

Yesterday: Pre-eclipse (at the end of m'ride), mid-eclipse, post-eclipse.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Today.
Temps in the 60's to low 70's, almost no wind, beautiful sky, a pervading sense of peace. And a story.

Found an elderly-ish cyclist on the mountain and he was riding a beautiful green Waterford with down tube shifters and a lovely polished quill stem. The kind of bike that would have flooded the proverbial Paceline river with drool run-off from local mouths and chins. I started chatting with him and he seemed grateful for the company, so stuck with him for 45 very slow minutes. When I realized how much time I'd wasted, I felt some regret, as responsibilities were piling up at home. As we parted and said goodbye and I started riding away he shouted "Thanks for riding with me, Mike; I wouldn't have made it this far without you." Poof, all regrets gone.
Now I'm sure you're asking, do I have a magical semicolon detector that allows me to hear them in verbal conversations? Yes, I do. It's a new feature on the Garmin Varia 515 radar. Now, not only does it detect cars from almost 500 feet away, it also detects semicolons from up to 60 feet away (firmware update required).

Old 04-09-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Yesterday: Pre-eclipse (at the end of m'ride), mid-eclipse, post-eclipse.

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2pJf4H9]
That might be the best color on a Ritchey Logic I have seen!
Old 04-09-2024, 03:08 PM

Eclipse ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hakka eclipse shadow.jpg (152.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Hakka eclipse.jpg (156.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 04-09-2024, 03:55 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs3889 View Post
That might be the best color on a Ritchey Logic I have seen!
Thank you, I agree. At first I was bummed that I couldn't get a nice Baron Blubba Blue Anniversary Edition from a few years back. Then I kept looking at this frame and it grew on me. Then I saw it in person and really came to adore it. The quality of the paint is excellent. I have a friend who custom paints very high end cars and he also custom paints all his bikes. He uses such expensive paint that even his gray and black bike POPS like it's pink and yellow, somehow the brightest bike on every group ride. This paint has a similar richness, and the sliiiiiight purple blend in the rosey pink highlights makes it special.
I like the way the bike looks and rides so much that it will summarily be upgraded with a Force AXS 1x12 groupset (48 x 10-44, the best road set up I've found so far!) and a set of HED Ardennes Black wheels.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:58 PM

Flowers are beginning to bloom everywhere in the desert. It should be a spectacular few weeks of riding in areas of lower elevation. If you can make it out this weekend now is the time. I’d expect McDowell mtn park to be a sea of yellow flowers!

First short dial in ride on the bike after converting to AXS dropper and rear derailleur. I also added matching chain and cassette. The XTR cranks will remain after proving to work perfectly fine. Leap components holds wireless blips on either side of the grip for shifting and the dropper controller is on the right side.