Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 08:12 PM

OT: Two-stroke engine and fuel contamination

Ten months ago I spent over $300 at Home Depot on an Echo backpack blower. I've always used the correct fuel mixture and it hasn't sat unused for more than 10 days since I purchased it. Nonetheless, apparently the carb is already fouled up because of ethanol-laden gasoline.

Despite a five year warranty, neither Home Depot nor Echo will do anything for me (except ship it off for 4 - 6 weeks to have the carb cleaned by Echo at my expense). Furthermore, they claim that the premixed Echo fuel w/o ethanol is not helpful.

Once I get it fixed, am I supposed to mix just enough fuel needed for each job? It seems like the premix would be good - any thoughts why the HD guys wouldn't like it? After all, it's ethanol-free.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Had you been mixing your own fuel? What were you using?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 PM

My son and I race Rotax 2 stroke karts. We strip and rebuild the carbs after every day at the track. I would gladly run expensive race fuel (pure gas), but rotax engines love nasty 93 pump gas with ethanol. With race gas you spend hours getting your jetting right; with pump fuel the engine just runs better and is easier to tune. All that said, ethanol leaves a nasty, sticky mess, even after 1 day. We run the carbs through our ultrsonic cleaner to get the sticky crap off.

Race gas is $13 gallon. If you have a marina nearby, they will have ethanol free gas for less than that. Like I said, I'd love to use pure gas in our karts as it burns so cleanly, but the just run better with ethanol.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:54 PM

OT: Two-stroke engine and fuel contamination

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Had you been mixing your own fuel? What were you using?

I use 87 octane gasoline and Echo 2 stroke oil mixed in one gallon increments.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 PM

Sorry, missed the part about the ethanol free pre mix. I would give it a try. When I have had to run race fuel, it leaves no residue in the carb. If you spill race gas on concrete, it evaporates in about two seconds and leaves no residue. If you spill pump gas, it smells for about a week. Also, if you ever need to, send me your carb and I'll clean it for free.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:20 PM

Try some carb cleaner spray, and add a tiny amount of Gumout fuel additive to your mix. I go for the highest octane pump gas, (with ethanol), available for my chain saws. Only 91 here, at certain stations. The Stihl pre-mix is 92. Good stuff, but make sure of the ratio: 50:1 for Stihl products, but the Echo might be 40:1...

Check the fuel filter too. Sounds like that blower gets a decent workout.

Last edited by pbarry; 08-30-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:34 AM

Try using a fuel stabilizer like Star Tron. I use it two-stroke jetskis. So far it has worked very well - no carb problems.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:43 AM

The carburetor on my Stihl chainsaw had to be replaced when the saw would no longer run. The service shop said it was because I failed to follow the instructions which say to drain the gas tank after use and run the saw dry, then pull the cord a few times.

I was already using the proper 50:1 mix of high octane fuel, was adding a fuel stabilizer to the can, and stored only 1 gallon of gas because I was told gas stored for long periods breaks down.

The new carburetor is 3 or 4 years old following the "run dry" instructions and so far, so good.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:06 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Ethanol is the devil.

That said, I've had good luck with my snowblowers turning off the petcock and running it dry.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 AM

Drain or rebuild the carb after every use? I must be lucky because I've never had to do anything like that. I've run the same straight-shaft Stihl weed eater for 30 years now and only rebuilt the carburator once. I have taken no extraordinary care other than to use the proper fuel : oil mix and running them dry after the end of the season. Same with my 10 yo Husky chain saw, and now with a new Stihl weed eater (carb finally did give up the ghost and rebuild kit not available.).
Old 08-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Well,, maybe I've just been lucky.

I own an Echo SRM-2200BE straight shaft string trimmer. This year, it is now going on its 28th year of service. In all that time, I've only had it to the shop 2 times -- once just recently for carb tuning (at least that's what the technician said). I run plain ole 87 octane with Ethanol in it, just like I do in my vehicles. Heck, I don't even use the 'real' Echo 2-stroke 50:1 oil anymore. I just pick up some regular 2-stroke oil a pint at a time. You know, the ones with the built-in measuring bulb at the top. I, too, make my mix one gallon at a time,, although I'll say that for the first 20 yrs or so, I used a 2-gallon can for pre-mixing. I also once DID use the 'real' Echo 2-stroke oil.

Honestly, I've never had a major problem. In the last couple of years, I _HAVE_ noticed some minor leakage from around where the fuel siphon exits the fuel tank heading toward the carb. So, yes, I think the Ethanol is finally having some effect on performance. During the last service, the primer bulb was found to be cracked and it was replaced. It's also now on its fourth trimmer head, as the others have worn out.

I also own an Echo chain saw with a 28" bar. One of the reasons I purchased an Echo saw was so I didn't have to have 2 different fuel mixes ready to go. I just use the same mix for both pieces of equipment. Oh and-- the saw is over 10 years old, itself.

Just like a questionable medical decision, I'd be tempted to get a second opinion. Check around a see if there's a qualified Echo Sales and Service department near you. And even if it DOES need to be cleaned and readjusted, I'll vouch for the longevity of the little Kiortz engines that Echo uses. With a little TLC, you almost can't wear them out.

Mike in AR
Old 08-31-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Ethanol is the devil.

That said, I've had good luck with my snowblowers turning off the petcock and running it dry.
Actually Congress and their financiers in industrial agriculture are the devil.
Having ethanol in our gasoline is their spawn.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:23 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Yeah, that was implied.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 AM

I've never had a carb issue with any of my Echo motors (backpack blower, chainsaw and string trimmer) but I have never put ethanol in them.
I run 91 octane non-ethanol hotrod gas and the standard 2 stroke oil mixed one gallon at a time which usually lasts a few months.
The blower has been fine for 3 years and going.

I run the same gas in my riding mower (without the oil) and again have never had a carb issue.

Ethanol kills small engines, I'd avoid. I also only buy my Echo stuff from the local hardware store which is an Echo certified service center, I avoid Home Depot for that kind of thing.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Drain or rebuild the carb after every use? I must be lucky because I've never had to do anything like that. I've run the same straight-shaft Stihl weed eater for 30 years now and only rebuilt the carburator once. I have taken no extraordinary care other than to use the proper fuel : oil mix and running them dry after the end of the season. Same with my 10 yo Husky chain saw, and now with a new Stihl weed eater (carb finally did give up the ghost and rebuild kit not available.).
We only rebuild our carbs every day because we are racing, the weedwacker gets tossed into the barn. It's not just the ethanol; the additives they dump into pump gas don't help carbs. Shell gas is the worst (all gas is the same when it leaves the refinery, the various brands add their own crap before it's delivered to stations). Whatever Shell adds makes the most mess.

Also, modern carb cleaners help, but don't really cut through the ethanol/additive sticky mess. The ultrasonic is the only thing that gets it. I really need to clean the snow blower carb before winter.