Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Was interested - then saw the geometry..

Why do bike brands think sub-400mm reach is acceptable for an XL?
Maybe they read all your posts here praising Pegoretti?

Old 04-18-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
The FiftyOne Sika seems the best of the bunch -- the rest are too tall and too short in the reach to be ridden seriously.. And the Sika is borderline there.
Isn’t that kind of the point with these all road bikes? That they’re made for people who just can’t fit the typical road race geo without a ton of spacers, stem and bar adjustment / additions?

I believe that it’s been mentioned a few times on the escape collective podcasts that they hoped for fast bikes that look good with more relaxed geo. Seems like some manufactures listened.

For sure there will continue to be pro-level racing bikes in the future, but having a bike that looks, rides and feels like a pro bike without requiring pro weight and flexibility can only be a good thing, right?

And integrated storage and mounts for these are a nice add on, but don’t see it as being a full stop requirement. But between this and the Endurace, Fray, Roadmaxhine, Domane, and Roubaix it’s getting a bit crowded in a good way.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:04 AM
Meh

Stack and reach are related, so if you raise stack, reach gets shorter unless you want to make the whole bike longer...

Anyway, cables still routing through headsets here for some reason, so I'll stick with the Pegoretti geo chart.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
But seriously looks nice but lack of storage / mount options seems like an oversight.
Yeah, maybe, but for the same price as the Fray I can almost guarantee this bike will ride noticeably better. I'd take that over storage any day. Too bad it's kinda ugly
Old 04-18-2024, 11:17 AM

I agree with all you've said. And I am saying the same thing. However, the other side of the coin in the geometry of a road race bike --- Tarmac, Enonda etc. The people buying these new gen all road bikes will have to forgo the experience of the razor sharp handling that is innate in a road race bike. Maybe they are not looking for that. But boy-o-boy, the way a 980 mm-ish (wheelbase -- size 54) road race bike with it's 56 mm-ish trail carves corners is nothing short of true joy.

If you ask me, if there is the means, there ought to be a pure road race bike in one's quiver.

Quote:
Isn’t that kind of the point with these all road bikes? That they’re made for people who just can’t fit the typical road race geo without a ton of spacers, stem and bar adjustment / additions?

I believe that it’s been mentioned a few times on the escape collective podcasts that they hoped for fast bikes that look good with more relaxed geo. Seems like some manufactures listened.

For sure there will continue to be pro-level racing bikes in the future, but having a bike that looks, rides and feels like a pro bike without requiring pro weight and flexibility can only be a good thing, right?

And integrated storage and mounts for these are a nice add on, but don’t see it as being a full stop requirement. But between this and the Endurace, Fray, Roadmaxhine, Domane, and Roubaix it’s getting a bit crowded in a good way.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I agree with all you've said. And I am saying the same thing. However, the other side of the coin in the geometry of a road race bike --- Tarmac, Enonda etc. The people buying these new gen all road bikes will have to forgo the experience of the razor sharp handling that is innate in a road race bike. Maybe they are not looking for that. But boy-o-boy, the way a 980 mm-ish (wheelbase -- size 54) road race bike with it's 56 mm-ish trail carves corners is nothing short of true joy.

If you ask me, if there is the means, there ought to be a pure road race bike in one's quiver.
Very valid point. Wonder if it’s possible to make an all-road frame designed for 32-35mm tires handle / feel exactly the same as a 25-28mm tire road race frame. Keep wheelbase, chainstays, trail, st and TT angles all the same but just increase BB drop and stack/reach figures. Fray seems closest although even that has a much slacker HT than most race frames, and that seems to be common in the “All road” category
Old 04-18-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Very valid point. Wonder if it’s possible to make an all-road frame designed for 32-35mm tires handle / feel exactly the same as a 25-28mm tire road race frame. Keep wheelbase, chainstays, trail, st and TT angles all the same but just increase BB drop and stack/reach figures. Fray seems closest although even that has a much slacker HT than most race frames, and that seems to be common in the “All road” category
Most of the bikes being raced at the world tour right now fit 32 mm tires, and many fit 35 or more.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM

I wonder how the current gen true road race bikes that can take 35 mm tires will ride with 32 or 35 mm tires. Will the gain in comfort given by the low pressure wide tires alter significantly that road race "handling" one is looking for.

What I mean is are wide tires (whatever "wide" might be defined as) and road race bike handling mutually exclusive? From experience, I know that 28 mm tires on my Emonda still gets the giggles from me. Will 32? Will 35? Dunno.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2024, 12:03 PM

The whole thing is just silly.. ideally they just want bikes in a variation of sizes to suit people with different torso/leg ratios.

I never saw that Pegoretti size chart before. Pegoretti clearly "got it". I know Colnago for a long time did that too, but IIRC last time I looked Colnago has started to do away with that?

You don't need to differentiate the function of the bikes that fit longer limb/shorter torso people separately from the bikes that fit shorter limb/longer torso people, you ideally make both in all the models of bikes. Likewise if they just cover these variations they get good sizing for both men and women.

It seems they used to do that before the desire to reduce the # of carbon molds/layups became the most important business consideration.

I have had several people tell me there are some decent correlations between ethnic background and whether you will tend to fit better on long/low or short/tall, as well as it varying with height. I could see the bikes we have available having a very strong Euro-centric ancestry bias and obviously we know they have historically had a pretty strong male-centric bias.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Looks like 2024 is the year of the All Road bike -- road-ish geometry with longer wheelbase and 38 - 40 mm tire clearance. Unfortunately, I want a quiver, not a quiver-killer.

Nice finish though.
This type of bike is part of a quiver. It’s the in between bike for when your road bike and gravel bike aren’t quite right.

I’ve been on a quest to find what I call the 50/50. For rides that are half dirt and half pavement.

Last edited by Philster; 04-18-2024 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:14 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Anyway, cables still routing through headsets here for some reason, so I'll stick with the Pegoretti geo chart.
if you look down the page at the various builds, it seems like some of the lower builds (Rival 2x) might have regular bar/stem combos?

also, can I just say I'm so over the word "quiver"..

Last edited by fourflys; 04-18-2024 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
if you look down the page at the various builds, it seems like some of the lower builds (Rival 2x) might have regular bar/stem combos?

also, can I just say I'm so over the word "quiver"..
The technical specs say "Full internal routing, electronic drivetrain only."
Old 04-18-2024, 12:22 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The technical specs say "Full internal routing, electronic drivetrain only."
this looks to be one of the build options, is this full internal with the bars as well? I guess is full internal meaning the frame?

SRAM Rival AXS 2x
FSA Energy SC Alloy Cockpit

FSA SL-K Seatpost

DT Swiss E1800

Goodyear Eagle Tubeless

Parlee Carbon Cages

Last edited by fourflys; 04-18-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
[snip]
Internal Routing is required under the LBS Preservation Act of of 2024.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
this looks to be one of the build options, is this full internal with the bars as well? I guess is full internal meaning the frame?

SRAM Rival AXS 2x
FSA Energy SC Alloy Cockpit

FSA SL-K Seatpost

DT Swiss E1800

Goodyear Eagle Tubeless

Parlee Carbon Cages
The brake hoses run through the headset, regardless of how they make their way from the handlebars.