Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-14-2017, 05:00 PM
OtayBW OtayBW is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NoBaltoCo
Posts: 3,443
Never could stand the welds on the Al frames that I've seen. This thing looks fantastic!
__________________
The older I get, the faster I was...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-14-2017, 05:06 PM
yinzerniner yinzerniner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 42
That is unbelievable. As someone else said, the joints are so clean it almost looks like carbon. Any idea on where one could get info on the geometry?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 PM
ultraman6970 ultraman6970 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,312
I was wondering about the joints aswell... De rosa was heating the frame twice (or 3 times) to get welds like that a few years ago, how is this guy getting this so smooth?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM
sparky33's Avatar
sparky33 sparky33 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wellesley, MA
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
That is unbelievable. As someone else said, the joints are so clean it almost looks like carbon. Any idea on where one could get info on the geometry?


I think it's called double pass welding. Once to join and then again to smooth or something like that. Big brands have fancy trademarked names for the same basic technique.

The geometry is on the LowBicycles website.
__________________
Steve Park
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 AM
misterha misterha is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I am smitten with this bike.

Aluminum....grrrr. Also, the stock geometry is a perfect long&low for me, a bit more so than CAAD12 numbers. The fat and shaped tubes are looking like the right kind of ride. Talked about the MKI with Andrew briefly - good feelings there too.

Please tell us more about your bike. What other bike(s) have you been riding, and how does the MKI compare?
So my previous bikes were the Moots Vamoots CR, Giant TCR advanced, Giant TCR SLR(alu), and Zen Road disc(columbus spirit hss). It's safe to say I've ridden all sort of different frame material.

Of all bikes the LOW is hands down my favorite so stoked when the bike came in. The way it rides, the handling, aesthetics, stiffness just everything about it. I had similar excitement when I had my moots but the CR was not as stiff and the geo wasn't aggressive enough for my taste. The TCR SLR was a nice crit machine stiff but it pretty heavy, felt kinda clunky and not very forgiving. The LOW had a nice forgiving feel similar to the moots but not a plush bike like a roubaix or domane. Hope that explains it!
__________________
The Big Break Cycling Podcast, Photos and more
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM
sparky33's Avatar
sparky33 sparky33 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wellesley, MA
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterha View Post
So my previous bikes were the Moots Vamoots CR, Giant TCR advanced, Giant TCR SLR(alu), and Zen Road disc(columbus spirit hss). It's safe to say I've ridden all sort of different frame material.



Of all bikes the LOW is hands down my favorite so stoked when the bike came in. The way it rides, the handling, aesthetics, stiffness just everything about it. I had similar excitement when I had my moots but the CR was not as stiff and the geo wasn't aggressive enough for my taste. The TCR SLR was a nice crit machine stiff but it pretty heavy, felt kinda clunky and not very forgiving. The LOW had a nice forgiving feel similar to the moots but not a plush bike like a roubaix or domane. Hope that explains it!

Thanks^

Perfect coincidence here.
I really like my Vamoots CR also...comfortable & quick. Though I could definitely go for something metal that is a touch more aggressive that maintains a smooth ride still.
__________________
Steve Park
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM
sparky33's Avatar
sparky33 sparky33 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wellesley, MA
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
This is a fantastic-looking bike. What's the widest tire that it can fit?

I had emailed Andrew Low the same question. He wrote:
"Some tire brands may vary, but the mki road is designed to clear a 28mm Continental Grand Prix 4000"

I've heard those tires run a touch big.
__________________
Steve Park
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 PM
misterha misterha is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I had emailed Andrew Low the same question. He wrote:
"Some tire brands may vary, but the mki road is designed to clear a 28mm Continental Grand Prix 4000"

I've heard those tires run a touch big.
I'll have to take a look tonight I have gatorskins on archetype which looks plump.
__________________
The Big Break Cycling Podcast, Photos and more
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.