Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 07-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Never could stand the welds on the Al frames that I've seen. This thing looks fantastic!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:06 PM

That is unbelievable. As someone else said, the joints are so clean it almost looks like carbon. Any idea on where one could get info on the geometry?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:08 PM

I was wondering about the joints aswell... De rosa was heating the frame twice (or 3 times) to get welds like that a few years ago, how is this guy getting this so smooth?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
That is unbelievable. As someone else said, the joints are so clean it almost looks like carbon. Any idea on where one could get info on the geometry?

I think it's called double pass welding. Once to join and then again to smooth or something like that. Big brands have fancy trademarked names for the same basic technique.

The geometry is on the LowBicycles website.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I am smitten with this bike.

Aluminum....grrrr. Also, the stock geometry is a perfect long&low for me, a bit more so than CAAD12 numbers. The fat and shaped tubes are looking like the right kind of ride. Talked about the MKI with Andrew briefly - good feelings there too.

Please tell us more about your bike. What other bike(s) have you been riding, and how does the MKI compare?
So my previous bikes were the Moots Vamoots CR, Giant TCR advanced, Giant TCR SLR(alu), and Zen Road disc(columbus spirit hss). It's safe to say I've ridden all sort of different frame material.

Of all bikes the LOW is hands down my favorite so stoked when the bike came in. The way it rides, the handling, aesthetics, stiffness just everything about it. I had similar excitement when I had my moots but the CR was not as stiff and the geo wasn't aggressive enough for my taste. The TCR SLR was a nice crit machine stiff but it pretty heavy, felt kinda clunky and not very forgiving. The LOW had a nice forgiving feel similar to the moots but not a plush bike like a roubaix or domane. Hope that explains it!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterha View Post
So my previous bikes were the Moots Vamoots CR, Giant TCR advanced, Giant TCR SLR(alu), and Zen Road disc(columbus spirit hss). It's safe to say I've ridden all sort of different frame material.

Of all bikes the LOW is hands down my favorite so stoked when the bike came in. The way it rides, the handling, aesthetics, stiffness just everything about it. I had similar excitement when I had my moots but the CR was not as stiff and the geo wasn't aggressive enough for my taste. The TCR SLR was a nice crit machine stiff but it pretty heavy, felt kinda clunky and not very forgiving. The LOW had a nice forgiving feel similar to the moots but not a plush bike like a roubaix or domane. Hope that explains it!

Thanks^

Perfect coincidence here.
I really like my Vamoots CR also...comfortable & quick. Though I could definitely go for something metal that is a touch more aggressive that maintains a smooth ride still.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
This is a fantastic-looking bike. What's the widest tire that it can fit?

I had emailed Andrew Low the same question. He wrote:
"Some tire brands may vary, but the mki road is designed to clear a 28mm Continental Grand Prix 4000"

I've heard those tires run a touch big.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I had emailed Andrew Low the same question. He wrote:
"Some tire brands may vary, but the mki road is designed to clear a 28mm Continental Grand Prix 4000"

I've heard those tires run a touch big.
I'll have to take a look tonight I have gatorskins on archetype which looks plump.