Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 AM

Advice on how to make valve extender tube?

I am trying to make an extension tube I can use to pump up a tire on a disc wheel, but the air leaks a lot and it doesn't work well unless I pump it up really quickly. Any ideas on how to improve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2017, 04:03 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Have you tried one of these?

Topeak Pressure Rite Presta Valve Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKH49GI..._kZV7zb3PACNME
Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 AM

I don't get it. You only need the pump head on your pump hose and it should work fine. If it's leaking air, you need to adjust the pump head. What did I miss?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
I don't get it. You only need the pump head on your pump hose and it should work fine. If it's leaking air, you need to adjust the pump head. What did I miss?

I didn't want to cut the hose of my pump. The one suggested above seems nice. I will check it out.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:29 PM

Like 11.4, I'm still not getting the issue entirely, but Silca (and others) make a disc wheel adapter.

This one on eBay may go for very little.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
I didn't want to cut the hose of my pump.
The Hirame head will fit right into most Schrader lever-actuated pump heads. I have a Specialized Air Tool that has both a Schrader and Presta end on the head, and the Hirame goes right into the Schrader and clamps down tight.

At the track we just push a Hirame head into a Silca or similar head and it fits fine. It will wiggle out and isn't painless but it doesn't need anything more complicated than that, especially if you don't ride disc wheels all the time.

Does that do what you want?

You can certainly use a valve extender plus a piece of hose plus two hose clamps and make what you showed in that photo.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:55 PM

Thanks, I wasn't aware that Schrader pump heads with a lever work with hirame. The issue is that my current one is lezyne and it has screw-on pump head. It may be time to get a new pump.

Last edited by aki; 10-26-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
Thanks, I wasn't aware that pump heads with a lever work with hitame. The issue is that my current one is lezyne and it has screw-on pump head. It may be time to get a new pump.

Yes. The Lezyne screw-on pump heads are very limiting. Plus they unscrew the valve stem from time to time.

I've used a Hirame with Specialized, Pedros, and a few others. I basically keep it in my track bag and use it with my own Specialized Air Tool or with any pump I grab that has a lever-actuated schrader tip. I've found very few that don't fit just fine. Don't leave it on the schrader head because it definitely will fall off over time. But for pumping a disc, it works fine and can take you up to 220 psi or more without issues.