Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 09:02 PM

Help! Shimergo question

Hi all,

First of all. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Second of all, I am trying to run a SRAM PG 1030 10-speed Cassette on Sun Ringlé Dirty Flea hubs with a very odd spline pattern that I have never seen before. It's not campy-specific and doesn't seem to be shimano-specific either. The splines seem to be thinner than normal and they are all the same size and spaced the same.

To add to the confusion, I am trying to run my campy 10s derailleur and centaur ergoshifters with the setup. I got 6 0.3mm spacers and an extra long (deep) lockring from Wheels Manufacturing to engage more of the threads hoping to make the spacing work. When I was putting it together I realized that there was a lot of play in the cogs (like they weren't fitting on snugly) and the smallest cog didn't fit on the freehub body at all!

Is there a way to make this work? Do I need to buy a specific type of 10s SRAM or shimano cassette that is specifically designed for these splines? Can I get a campagnolo 10s cassette that will work with this spline pattern? Am I putting the 0.3mm spacers on incorrectly? I already have the campy 10s derailleur and shifters so I really would like to find a way to make this work.

If anyone has experience with this, your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the help.
Paul
Old 11-29-2013, 10:32 AM

anyone?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Anyone ?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:33 AM

There are others here with more info than me but--

Sounds like that extra deep lock ring is bottoming out before you get tension on it.

Not sure about the spline pattern: Does the smallest cog fit on the splines by itself? Or, is there no room left on cassette body after you've put the rest of the cogs and spacers on?

Have you tried installing the cassette without the .3 spacers, and with the OEM lockring? If that works, you might consider the correct jtek Shiftmate model.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Random MTB people complain that the splines are very soft and loose sprocket cassettes chew up the splines a lot...but nobody said they need a special cassette...hmm.

What is keeping the smallest sprocket from fitting? Is the stack of 9 other sprockets/spacers too thick, keeping the 10th from engaging the splines, or does it just not fit on the end of the fh body, even with no other sprockets in place?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:53 AM

the last sprocket doesn't fit because the 9 others take up all of the space on the freehub body. it seems like adding the 0.3mm spacers to the cassette simply makes it too large to fit on the hub. the guy who i bought the wheels from was running shimano 9-speed but assured me that the hubs were 8-9-10 compatible. maybe i could just remove one of the middle cogs and add the spacer to the back of the cassette and run "9-speed" with campy spacing so i can still use my RD?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Shiftmate #1.

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

OTOH, a buddy who's always ridden Shimano, just built up a Dean Ti frame with Record 10 shifters/derailleurs and Rolf Shimano splined wheels and SRAM cassette. He says it shifts fine...

Last edited by pbarry; 11-29-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:27 PM

You could try this if you have a 9sp cassette and Shimano RD handy...

http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-ca...-compatibility

It may even work with the Campy RD...

...and you might as well try it with the 10sp cassette without the spacers...I've heard of a number of people who claim it shifts "just fine".
Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to install the cassette without the 0.3mm spacers and get the jtek shiftmate#1. Although, now I need to wait for the shiftmate to arrive to be able to cable this baby up... Wish I could build it up and ride it today!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Try it w/o the Shiftmate. If it's not optimal, you can just cut the RD housing loop shorter for the jtek when it arrives.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:58 PM

even better!