Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post

The Bivo valves are also more complicated to allow flow like a straw so that's another turn off.

I like my valves simple and cleanable. Pull with your mouth/teeth to open. Knock it against your thigh to close.
That describes the Bivo, as well. They are a straw, and require a bit of cleaning, but they supply that bit. And they don't seem to leak
Old 05-09-2024, 11:35 AM

This is interesting to me. I only ever tried some cheap Salsa insulated bottles I got from REI many years ago, and those seemed to do absolutely nothing. Water was just as hot when I needed it as with my un-insulated bottles. So I gave up on the idea.

Maybe I'll try them again this summer once it gets super muggy again. But man, the last thing I need around here is another water bottle. I already have so many, the thought of buying more fills me with environmental regret.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:42 AM

I use camelback insulated. They work ok here on warm days. Fill them half way, freeze top up with water and ice.

Lasts about 2 or 3 hours at 30 Celsius.

My normal bivo bottles are very easy to drink from, but are really loud on the bike. They rattle in king cages. I've tried freezing them, but the issue is the straw gets in the way making it difficult to top up.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Just as a fyi, I got a email from Polar a few days ago, they were running a BOGO sale, I'm not sure if it's still on or not, but worth a look.
I also prefer the polar over other brands and is what I use daily.. I never close mine and they don’t leak on the mtb or gravel bike. I like my teeth and don’t want to damage any more after having veneers for many years and recently replacing with crowns (I damaged my main top front teeth years ago)

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-09-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:01 PM

A vote here for the Camelbak insulateds. You can get the taller 24oz version so you don't lose much volume. I love not having to open and close the nozzle.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:12 PM
n - 1

Thanks all. I ordered a couple of Camelbak’s and Polar’s. Will try them both out.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:22 PM

We have had Camelbak & Polar ones. My wife likes them. I really don't care, they don't do that much.

There aren't that many days I actually care about this. If I do though, I would rather take one of my Kleen Kanteen ones.

I have several Kleen Kanteen insulated SS bottles that fit just fine in the bike water bottle holder. The 20 & 25oz Classic will fit. the 16 & 20oz "TKWide" fit.

With the classic you can literally use the "Classic Sport Cap" and it pretty much just turned it into a bike water bottle. They actually work fine on the bike, you just don't squeeze the bottle since it's metal. The newer bottles don't really have an appropriate cap so you would need to pull over to drink. The "Chug Cap" might work on the bike without pulling over but I've never tried it.

I very very rarely have actually used them just for going for a ride but I know they work cause I have used the Kleen Kanteen bottles to take coffee/tea with me on my bike for commuting.

Last edited by benb; 05-09-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:39 PM

I do find that the Camelbak ones do make a difference for me on both the hot days and winter rides. Winter is more critical for me as once it freezes on your ride that's it.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:49 PM

I've used the insulated Podium Chill bottles along with Purists, and the taste is about the same ie no plastic.

IME the Podium Chill will insulate roughly 2-3x as well as a Purist in regular riding. IE, on warm days the liquid will still get warm but at a greatly reduced rate. In 80 deg F weather the Chill would stay cold for roughly 30mins, then moderate at 60mins, warm at 75-90min or so. With Purists then would be close to ambient temp within about 45mins.

On the other hand the Podium Chill bottles cannot compare to a good vacuum insulated metal bottle. On longer rides I would take a larger 1L insulated bottle mounted in an Arundel Looney Bin full of ice and water and the temperature would stay the exact same for the entire ride, so would refill the empty bottles at water stops by first pouring into the insulated bottle with ice then into the plastic bottle.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:05 PM

Woah.. that Looney bin looks cool.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:47 PM
50 bpm

Bought my wife and I the new CamelBak stainless steel insulated bottles.

Game-changers. Best insulation ever.

But unfortunately, absent a pro deal, wallet-emptiers at $40 a pop for the 22 oz. ones. ($100 for the titanium bottles.)
Old 05-09-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Bought my wife and I the new CamelBak stainless steel insulated bottles.

Game-changers. Best insulation ever.

But unfortunately, absent a pro deal, wallet-emptiers at $40 a pop for the 22 oz. ones. ($100 for the titanium bottles.)
Wow, I never heard of these! Thanks for the mention. These may allow me to step up my winter game again!

Old 05-09-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I like CamelBak for their valve more than anything else. But broadly haven't found much of a reason for an insulated bottle while riding.

Matter of preference, but I'd rather have the extra liquid in the same space, than for it to be cold
I like insulated bottles. I fill them about half way with ice cubes before adding the hydration/electrolyte drink I use. The bottles stay cold for a decent amount of time depending on ambient temperature. I use the Camelback Podium Ice bottles. I echo comments about the valves. I like them because they can be easily cleaned. I actually put the bottles and caps in my dishwasher to sanitize them every few of uses.

I wouldn’t use steel or titanium bottles because are more dangerous if they fall off your bike or get dropped during any kind of group ride.

Last edited by djg21; 05-09-2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Woah.. that Looney bin looks cool.
I use one on my e bike hauler and it works great.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:20 PM

I use Podium Ice bottles (not the Chill). At first I bought both the Ice and the Chill, and noticed the Chills were not as effective. Did a "test" - filled one of each, rode on a really hot-to-me day, maybe 95F. Within an hour the Chill was lukewarm. There were lots of ice in the Ice, and there were still pieces of ice after 2 hours (the Chill had gone warm so I used that up first).

I find that for a hot one hour crit, I can use two Ice bottles and be okay.

Prior to that, carrying uninsulated bottles, I'd dump a large on myself before the start, carry another large as dump bottle, dump on me in the first 15-20 min, then move a regular bottle from pocket to cage, and have another in the other cage. 4 bottles for an hour crit. These are bottles I filled with ice, had in the cooler, etc, so my final two bottles were 3/4 ice when I started the race. The insulated Ice bottles made it so I was okay carrying two on me and that's it.

The Chills I've now reserved for post race rinsing off, pre-race over-the-head stuff, etc. I have a cooler for all of it. Bought a second pair of Ice bottles which I seem to have misplaced. For a long time they were unavailable for some reason, but now I think they're available.

To prep the bottles for a race, I fill them about halfway, put them in the freezer so they're tilted (otherwise they bulge at the bottom), and fill with ice cubes and water, then pack in cooler. Usually pack-cooler to line-up-at-start is 2-3 hours max, so there is a lot of ice.

I only do that with one Ice bottle unless it's a long drive to the race or it's super hot, and definitely if I'm just riding from the house. I found out the hard way that the Ice bottle full of ice will not allow the ice inside to thaw, even after an hour plus of riding in really hot weather, even after leaving the cap off for a while. Frustrating to be beet red from heat and not being able to drink the ice tantalizingly beyond reach.

I've finished 85-90F races (so not terribly hot) shivering with cold after aggressively dumping ice cold water on myself in preparation for the sprint. I learned the hard way that being cold is just as bad as being hot, maybe worse, so now I try to tame down the ice water dumping on myself.

Note: I try to dump the water not on my head unless I'm truly suffering, like I've already stopped. It seems that if I dump on my head my body instantly tries to retain heat, but if I dump on neck down, my body doesn't do a "it's freezing out!" reaction.