Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2017, 01:33 AM

Arrived at an accident scene (bike/car) this evening and am feeling pretty rattled

Near the end of what was up to that point a really great ride on my new Holland, I rolled up to an intersection on a popular road cycling route in the NW hills of Portland to find a cyclist laying in the middle of the road being tended to by a first responder (Fire&Rescue). Judging by the car halfway into the intersection, it appears someone may have turned left in front of him - I'd normally be doing 25-30mph in the downhill lane at that point - but I don't know for sure. All I know if he was in a lot of pain and there looked to be plenty of witnesses. An ambulance and sheriff arrived shortly thereafter. There hasn't been any coverage on the local news. I suspect he is going to be "okay" since he was conscious at the scene, but don't really know. Anyway, he's in my thoughts and I hope his loved ones were able to be contacted quickly.

I finished out my ride feeling pretty rattled and it's stuck with me all night. At some level I know every ride could be my last - I just try not to think about that reality too often. No matter who is right or wrong, the car/truck always wins...
Old 04-07-2017, 05:52 AM
ZhugeLiang

Good reflections, clean pal, ride safe.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:44 AM

Pretty much the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Arrived at the scene as first police car arrived. Cyclist face down not moving. Later read it was a gal and she was "ok" after a brief stint at the hospital. This was a hit and run with a truck just north of Boulder. I'm gonna do a lot more mountain biking and a lot less road riding myself.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Drunk driver crashed into my neighbor's car at high speed totaling it and the car he pushed that car into behind. Driver was trying to flee. The 8 minutes I spent yelling at him to put the car in park and exit the passenger door while the dispatcher implored me not to engage him as I was waiting for the police to arrive felt like an eternity. All this about a dozen yards from my living room. Took me a few hours to shake off that adrenaline. The roads can be very dangerous.

Anyhow, I can empathize with you being a little rattled seeing that accident. Take care out there.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Had a similar experience in Mallorca last month: a guy was face down off his bike on the pavement about 1.5k into the descent down Sa Calobra. It looked like he just lost control and hit the deck after underestimating a turn. Motorists were stopping to help while waiting for an ambulance, but it didn't look good. Definitely left us all rattled, but reinforces how important it is to stay alert and aware of everything around you and if in doubt slow down..
Old 04-07-2017, 10:57 AM

I hear ya man. Happened to me on a ride a couple years ago. Woman hit & killed on a bike a handful of hours prior to when I got to the same point on road. Normally, I'd be going 35-40 mph on that downhill stretch. Instead, I was doing in the low-mid teens, riding the brakes, knowing what I was eventually going to come upon. Nerves rattled after seeing blood-stained road while passing through the accident scene (which by then was void of anyone & anything, compared to what must've been chaos earlier in the morning). I just wanted to get home at that point. RIP whoever it was that passed.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:02 AM
The B!

What intersection?

My buddy was hit 2, maybe it was even 3 times? while he lived at 18th n Couch. Was OK every time - never even sued any of the drivers - but just highlights the hazards of bike life in Portland.

I think we're surely better than other major metro areas, but urban riding is f'n dangerous.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
What intersection?

My buddy was hit 2, maybe it was even 3 times? while he lived at 18th n Couch. Was OK every time - never even sued any of the drivers - but just highlights the hazards of bike life in Portland.

I think we're surely better than other major metro areas, but urban riding is f'n dangerous.
A co-worker of mine got doored right by there last week. He has the typical bumps and bruises along with a hurt heel that has him in a walking boot. Being off his bike is a real problem since he and his wife are a one car family with a toddler and have a very carefully balanced schedule that involves him being on his bike for his everyday commute.

The woman who did it was really sorry and kept telling him she was a cyclist too, as if that helped anything. It does bring up the point though that all of us make decisions throughout the day that can have serious affects on others. One moment of inattention can be devastating.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Picshooter

I have been trying to get my family in the habit of using the Dutch Reach. Opening the door using the opposite hand makes it easier to check behind for cyclists, cars, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
A co-worker of mine got doored right by there last week. He has the typical bumps and bruises along with a hurt heel that has him in a walking boot. Being off his bike is a real problem since he and his wife are a one car family with a toddler and have a very carefully balanced schedule that involves him being on his bike for his everyday commute.

The woman who did it was really sorry and kept telling him she was a cyclist too, as if that helped anything. It does bring up the point though that all of us make decisions throughout the day that can have serious affects on others. One moment of inattention can be devastating.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
What intersection?

Up past Forest Heights headed toward Cedar Hills - NW Thompson headed West downhill where there's that first right turn to Laidlaw, or you keep going down the hill on Thompson.

Riding in Portland 10-15 years ago was a LOT different than it is now. There's more infrastructure in the city these days, but the old routes for roadies have gotten horrible with the suburban sprawl and increased population. It's one of my main reasons for wanting to find another place to live - I've been in Portland off and on since the late 90s and it just isn't my jam anymore.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
I have been trying to get my family in the habit of using the Dutch Reach. Opening the door using the opposite hand makes it easier to check behind for cyclists, cars, etc..
I can see that this would be a good practice and I never heard the term before.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I finished out my ride feeling pretty rattled and it's stuck with me all night. At some level I know every ride could be my last - I just try not to think about that reality too often. No matter who is right or wrong, the car/truck always wins...
good reflections. sorry you had to go through that experience. the positive is that you do have these reflections on it though, and that can get you to consider some things in a new light, and maybe some good will come from that. there's a local spot where two cyclists were killed (and several others severely injured) in a huge crash a couple years back. there's always flowers and various bike trinkets left there for them. difficult not to pass it without feeling what you've mentioned.

the first year I was seriously riding a lot, my wife was driving home from work and witnessed a cyclist get plowed into by a car running a light. he smashed the hood and windshield, flipped up and over the car and onto the pavement several feet behind it. my wife immediately exited her vehicle and helped the guy, trying to keep him conscious until the paramedics arrived, screaming at the driver of the car every time he approached (the paramedic said he was actually kinda frightened of her; she was protecting this dude like a mama bear protects a cub). dude spent a week in the hospital; collarbone, ribs, shoulder, concussion, the works. but was ultimately OK. but talk about being rattled; as I said it was my first year riding road a lot, and I was out on a ride while this all happened. she was absolutely beside herself.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Picshooter

It's taught in Drivers Ed in the Netherlands. It would be nice if the US adopted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEhJMkKMAo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I can see that this would be a good practice and I never heard the term before.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 PM

Bit of a cross-post to the Mike Hall thread, but I just watched this YouTube tribute from VeloVegan and found it quite moving...and very relevant to what we're discussing in this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3NuYGU13yo
Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Up past Forest Heights headed toward Cedar Hills - NW Thompson headed West downhill where there's that first right turn to Laidlaw, or you keep going down the hill on Thompson.

Riding in Portland 10-15 years ago was a LOT different than it is now. There's more infrastructure in the city these days, but the old routes for roadies have gotten horrible with the suburban sprawl and increased population. It's one of my main reasons for wanting to find another place to live - I've been in Portland off and on since the late 90s and it just isn't my jam anymore.
I live in Camas and ride around 24-40 miles daily for fitness, cruising across the GJ Bridge and into Portland. Last year was a terrible year in Portland for cyclists being killed, and this year looks like it's off to a bad start as well. And I feel the same way about the area, I think we're gonna end up moving to another state this year. I've had too many close calls, and the weather aint helping.

On topic, I can understand your being rattled OP. I've come up on a couple of accidents too, though havent seen a cyclist fatality thankfully. It definitely makes you feel your vulnerabilities.