Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
FSA cranks/bottom brackets are a nightmare of compatibility. Never spend any money trying to find the right parts for it. Ride it as long as it's good for you, and if you want a new chainring size, switch the whole new crankset. If you go down the path of trying to work with an FSA crank, it will only lead to frustration and will cost you more in the long run.
I may not always agree with mr. prototoast; but in this case I do 100%.

FSA used to be very popular as one of the first 3rd party mfgs to offer compact cranks, so a lot of guys swapped out their campag and shimano 130bcd cranks for FSA to go lower in gearing, but their quality and compatibility has always been junk. I think most of their early carbon cranks suffered the debonding around the threads too. There are many better options available today, thankfully.

Last edited by AngryScientist; 02-28-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:19 PM

This ring might work? Listed as 120mm BCD, which is maybe what you have...
https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/...th-chainring-1

The Shimano XT 42 and 46 cassettes have the same gear jumps up to the largest cog, just a giant pie plate on the 46. So, no concerns about big gaps, if you decide you want the bail out gear.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:45 PM

Hah, I actually don't love the FSA stuff at baseline and mostly swap it out but I'm trying to be budget conscious here. If this was my bike, I'd just swap to 2x and sell off the 1x stuff (Brifter, RD, Crank).

In this case, I think finding a 40T would be adequate enough to make a 11-42 reasonable or I can go full send and get an 11-46 and deal with a RD hangar extender ala roadlink etc. I might still try to grab one of those just to be safe. I think the shifting on this bike is going to be worlds better than anything she's ever ridden so I'm not particularly worried about it.

I am going to put her bike on my kickr to dial her in and have her get used to the shifting. I'm new to sram as well but it worked pretty well when I messed with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
This ring might work? Listed as 120mm BCD, which is maybe what you have...
https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/...th-chainring-1

The Shimano XT 42 and 46 cassettes have the same gear jumps up to the largest cog, just a giant pie plate on the 46. So, no concerns about big gaps, if you decide you want the bail out gear.
I'm pretty sure the current ring is a 110 bcd and not a 120. I might have found a 40T...but I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with anything else other than that.

I totally agree with you all re not spending too much more money on a setup...but if i could get a compatible crankset etc for about 40 bucks (which is the what I think I can get a chainring for) then I'd 100% send it.

Something like a praxisworks etc.

I honestly really hate press fit bb's. I swapped my CAAD13's bb to a thread together token since I wanted to use a shimano crank. If this was my bike, I'd do exactly that... but again. I think this is already a fantastic setup. I'll reinvent the wheel down the line if she decides she wants to ride more road related stuff and this ends up being a dual duty bike.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:01 PM

Can confirm.

BB386 FSA gossamer crank. 110 bcd. Current 42T.
Going to a 40 for 40 bucks is a worthwhile change right? That way even an 11-42 is reasonable?
Old 02-28-2024, 07:45 PM

Would you guys even both going down from a 42 to a 40 ring? Or should I just start with an 11-42 cassette (or 11-46) and call it a day?

This is the crankset. Can anyone help figure out which rings I should be looking at? If I can go like... 38 and 11-42 that's cool too.

Would something like this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394898758617

This is an ebay picture of the same crank from the back which shows the back of the chainring.

That ebay ring won't work right? Looks like it's the shimano mounting style and the 'waves' at bolts is different.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 02-28-2024 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Would you guys even both going down from a 42 to a 40 ring? Or should I just start with an 11-42 cassette (or 11-46) and call it a day?
You can certainly start with a new chain and cassette and see how it goes. That's the easiest/cheapest solution. FWIW, in my area (DC suburbs, and points west towards the Blue Ridge), I found 40t to be a better size than 42t. It was the difference between a seated spin (vs standing) for enough hills to make it the winner. That said, I now run 2x on my gravel bike, but that's mostly because I do enough road to get to the gravel that it works better. If I lived closer to the mountains, and didn't have 20 miles of pavement to start/end some gravel rides, I'd have 1x.

If your wife needs an easier gear, then you can find a used 105 or Rival crank, BB, and new 38 or 40t ring, and call it done.