Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Classics Fan

the UCI, FIFA and the NFL... the three stooges.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Word is that a coach with an amateur time trialist had planned to give it a go this month but the UCI gave them the run around with regards to equipment specs and providing UCI people for proper creditation. It seems the UCI sort of manipulated the situation to produce a desired result.
No way, not a chance. UCI has such a sterling reputation for playing everything straight and treating all athletes - stars and rising stars alike - with perfect equality.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Is 43 the new 51.115 or vice versa? Did I get the numbers correct?http://forums.thepaceline.net/images/smilies/hello.gif
Old 09-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
the UCI, FIFA and the NFL... the three stooges.
No kidding....add MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS....etc

Harryblack wants to know if jen's gets a whiz quiz after the record.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:16 PM
v a n i l l a

catch the commentary that Jens talked to Fabian before deciding to attempt it?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:39 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
catch the commentary that Jens talked to Fabian before deciding to attempt it?
Indeed. Isn't gonna stop others from taking a stab at it, though.

Any bets on how long Jens will hold the record??
Old 09-18-2014, 02:50 PM

Until Cancellara or Martin are 43 y/o.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Shoegazer

Quote:
Jens targeted 370 Watts, which is under what he should be capable. He shoveled on the coal at the end of his ride. I think he and the Trek engineers aimed for a pace that was sure to break the record but low enough to limit the risk of Jens blowing up.
370 W gets the record? Weren't guys like Merckx and Moser putting down well over 400 W for an hour? Congrats to Jens nonetheless. That had to hurt like hell.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post
370 W gets the record? Weren't guys like Merckx and Moser putting down well over 400 W for an hour? Congrats to Jens nonetheless. That had to hurt like hell.
370 W and over for an entire ceaseless hour; these pro guys are aliens!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post
370 W gets the record? Weren't guys like Merckx and Moser putting down well over 400 W for an hour?
Yes but the equipment allowed under the new rules gave Voigt a lower CdA.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM

Yeah, exactly this, the aero stuff gave him the upper hand, besides EM did it in a regular velodrome that doesnt have roof (cant remember if its wooden or not). This was the reason from what I hear that FC backed off the record, he thought basically to race against EM under the same conditions, then UCI changed the rules and he backed off.

If Jens goes in a regular bike with regular wheels I doubt he would have made.

Wonder if jens is not going to retire and specialize in TTs' his pedaling changed so much that now was nice too see him pedaling. Happy for him.

Quote:
Yes but the equipment allowed under the new rules gave Voigt a lower CdA.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Word is that a coach with an amateur time trialist had planned to give it a go this month but the UCI gave them the run around with regards to equipment specs and providing UCI people for proper creditation. It seems the UCI sort of manipulated the situation to produce a desired result.
Yeah.

Reposrt in the press: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...rt-rule-130911

And his coach, Robert Tobin, is on Wattage forums. Have quoted that below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tobin
One of the riders I coach Matt Bottrill was planning to do the hour record last weekend until the UCI decided to have secret rules about needing a biopassport.

In testing we were looking at 52.5 - 53km. I would hope a recent world tour pro would be in that range.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tobin
No problems with testing biopassport or otherwise.

The problem:

The UCI creates it's own rules and publishes it own rules on its website which we as cyclists all have to follow. The point of publishing the rules is so we all know what they are and we can comply with them. They created the rules about the hour record and published them and nothing in those rules or the rules on drug testing require you to be on the bio passport system in order to set a world record of any kind. So all we wanted was for the UCI to comply with its own rules. If the rules said that a bio passport was needed we would have tried to get that put in place. Bio passports are only carried out on all world tour riders and selected professional continental riders. As far as I know there are no women rides on the passport system (I could be wrong here). Here the teams and UCI share the costs. If you want to add yourself to the system is costs about 7000 euro and takes a number of months to establish a baseline.

We contacted the UCI technical commission about the attempt on numerous occasions trying to find out what the rather vague rules on the bike regulations actually meant. Getting a response either directly or via British cycling was a very slow and painful process. i.e. you ask a load of technical questions trying to find out if disc wheels, tribars, pursuit bikes etc are allowed and their response was ‘anything that complies with the rules will be allowed – please submit your bike to the commission’. But we didn’t have a bike because we were trying to find out what was allowed. Having finally after a number of weeks and numerous emails got to the point where we knew what bike and equipment would be allowed (roughly it would still have to be submitted to them for final approval) they still had not mentioned anything about needing a bio passport to us or to British cycling. We now had a bike and were doing testing in a velodrome. It was only by chance one of Matt’s sponsors was at the UCI for a bike launch that he spoke to someone there who told him that we would ‘not be allow to attempt the record – that they didn’t want some unknown amateur taking their record’. That if we applied to do the record (which requires their specific authorisation) that they would request a bio passport knowing it was too late to set it up in time for our scheduled attempt and even if we could afford it that it would delay any attempt until after a world tour pro had already done it and set the bar potentially our of reach. You could turn up the your nationals national champs and set a world record on the track for 200m, 1km, 3km, 4km without ever being drug tested and not needing to be on the passport system. But if you want to set this one record you cant.

Bob
Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
You could turn up the your nationals national champs and set a world record on the track for 200m, 1km, 3km, 4km without ever being drug tested and not needing to be on the passport system. But if you want to set this one record you cant.
This quote speaks volumes to me. The UCI is a business. They are protecting their interests. That is disappointing, but it is not surprising.

However, Jens made a hell of a ride. Yes, people will beat him. Many will beat him in the coming months. But he still did a hell of a ride. Good for him. He inspired me.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 PM

Seriously... Jen's and the hour? When has JV won a ITT in a grand tour?

Paper trophy and boring IMO.

What happened to this sport? We need action as opposed to tools chasing watts or meaningless accolades. Bring back il magnifico (CIPPO)... Heaven help us!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDSeattle View Post
This quote speaks volumes to me. The UCI is a business. They are protecting their interests. That is disappointing, but it is not surprising.

However, Jens made a hell of a ride. Yes, people will beat him. Many will beat him in the coming months. But he still did a hell of a ride. Good for him. He inspired me.
Yeah it kinda sucks and but is expected.

I haven't watched the attempt as yet but TBH I can't see myself bothering, I know the result, but what's more, I knew the result before it started. They'd said he would target 370w, which is below his FTP, so he was always going to pee it in.