Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2022, 12:00 AM

Looks like the 50's are sold out now. I bought a pair of the 36 earlier, now wondering if I need two? Do they come with brake pads?
Old 12-20-2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post
Looks like the 50's are sold out now. I bought a pair of the 36 earlier, now wondering if I need two? Do they come with brake pads?
No brake pads or quick releases. There is a 1.85mm cassette spacer on there.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:34 PM
Descent fitness

I opened up my pair of 36's and found a majority of spoke holes on the inside of the rim had noticable drill leavin's that will require trimming off so they don't work through the base tape and cause a puncture or airleak.
NBD, but it's a good thought for everyone to inspect the holes prior to taping the rims.
OTOH, mine are true and hubs spin smoothly.
Time to source a Shimano 11 cassette for my Campy running gear.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
I opened up my pair of 36's and found a majority of spoke holes on the inside of the rim had noticable drill leavin's that will require trimming off so they don't work through the base tape and cause a puncture or airleak.
NBD, but it's a good thought for everyone to inspect the holes prior to taping the rims.
OTOH, mine are true and hubs spin smoothly.
Time to source a Shimano 11 cassette for my Campy running gear.
any other impressions?
Old 12-21-2022, 12:51 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
any other impressions?
Not yet. With everything going on around the holidays I won’t have a chance to ride them until after the new year.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:37 AM

I finally hit the road on these new 55mm wheels this morning, a two-plus hour ride in very hilly/steep foothills terrain.

Right out of the door in cold, almost foggy conditions, braking was effective but a bit noisy initially, some kind of abrading sound and a chirpy noise accompanied by somewhat abrupt braking force.

I headed downhill for a while early on, heading to my club's ride, with a few fast descents that required sustained braking, and the braking sound and response quickly became completely normal. It's not unusual for damp air to induce a bit of chirp and grabbiness before some heat restores the pad surfaces to normal, and the rim surface seemed to have broken in and smoothed out after just a few hard stops heading downhill.
That's about all I have to report, other than that I did find myself rolling up on a much heavier rider going downhill, something that I found unfamiliar.
I attribute that to the aero benefit of deep rims, at least to the extent that it became noticeable. This was subtle, but happened more than once.
I stopped to take a couple of pictures on my way home from the club's ride.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I finally hit the road on these new 55mm wheels this morning, a two-plus hour ride in very hilly/steep foothills terrain.

Right out of the door in cold, almost foggy conditions, braking was effective but a bit noisy initially, some kind of abrading sound and a chirpy noise accompanied by somewhat abrupt braking force.

I headed downhill for a while early on, heading to my club's ride, with a few fast descents that required sustained braking, and the braking sound and response quickly became completely normal. It's not unusual for damp air to induce a bit of chirp and grabbiness before some heat restores the pad surfaces to normal, and the rim surface seemed to have broken in and smoothed out after just a few hard stops heading downhill.
That's about all I have to report, other than that I did find myself rolling up on a much heavier rider going downhill, something that I found unfamiliar.
I attribute that to the aero benefit of deep rims, at least to the extent that it became noticeable. This was subtle, but happened more than once.

Mechanical shifting and rim brakes? Is that even legal there?

Kidding...thanks for the review but you did the right thing...check true, round, dish and tension before riding these things. Like a lot of things 'outta-a-box', if checked and made proper, they will do the job.

The 'market' is awash with private label hubs and rims..Not hard to find somebody who will sell a carton of these..even DT spokes...and 'somebody' to build them. From what you said, not really well, but you fixed that.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:52 AM

Beautiful frame, too. I hear those are nice riding bikes!
Old 12-21-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
Beautiful frame, too. I hear those are nice riding bikes!
Thanks for that!

It's nothing if not unique. The combination of lightning-fast front end response, rear cushioning, and solid pedaling platform is quite noticeably different from my other rides. Fear no sudden/tight changes of direction!
Stability at 40+mph is also actually "all there".

...rode it so hard yesterday that today, my leg hurts!

I don't mind the branding on these wheels at all, it's an unfamiliar name, but at least anyone can pronounce it. The decalry blends in with the rest of the bike in a not-so-annoying way compared to some others.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:47 AM

Agreed, the decals work because the frame has them. I dont think it's quite the same with my Grand Bois.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:31 PM

Glad that I got that re-tensioning outta the way for sure, even at my minimal mass, also to report what I found.
Rim-brakes still legal here in California, just not so popular except among weight-weenies and us geezer-class riders.

I'm guessing that the pictured Grand Bois would look much better with the shallower PUB rims, which also have smaller lettering(?).

My leg/ankle finally loosened up and it's a couple of degrees warmer now, so out for another shorter ride while it's dry!

Last edited by dddd; 12-21-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Glad that I got that re-tensioning outta the way for sure, even at my minimal mass, also to report what I found.
Rim-brakes still legal here in California, just not so popular except among weight-weenies and us geezer-class riders.

I'm guessing that the pictured Grand Bois would look much better with the shallower PUB rims, which also have smaller lettering(?).

My leg/ankle finally loosened up and it's a couple of degrees warmer now, so out for another shorter ride while it's dry!
I'm sure it would, but these wheels were purchased for their width and they will eventually be on my Gunnar Crosshairs and look more-the-part.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:40 PM
Sunshine

36mm depth wheels delivered.* They came in a Wheelmaster box from JBI.* JBI is a cycling distributor and I am 95% sure the prebuilt wheels that Velomine has sold for years are all from JBI.* Wheelmaster and Origin8 are a couple of* JBI owned brands.**

Anyways, the wheels are true, and spoke tension feels fine(just tugging).* Since its basically arctic degrees outside right now, I look forward to spinning them once the grease is no longer frozen.**
The spoke holes arent the drilled the cleanest.* Nothing that I really care about though.**
Hopefully I dont die on my backup to the backup road bike when its ridden this coming year.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Those look nice! It sounds like they are better than you thought they would be.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
Those look nice! It sounds like they are better than you thought they would be.
Absolutely, they are as good as I dared hope they might be.

Took another ride today, these really shine on the faster sections where I'm losing altitude, but I have yet to ride them on a windy day.

Tags
conspicuous consumption, feeding frenzy