Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2016, 03:07 PM

Flying on Delta today with my S&S bike, I got asked the "question"

I was flying home to PDX this morning, from Stuttgart, Germany and the German check-in agent asks me "whaz iz in zee box?" I stone-faced answered, "Bike parts". She looked at me accusingly and said, "bike parts, but not a bike???" I said, "jah, not a bike". She then checked me in for my flight without further ado.

As I thought about the exchange, I realized my answer had a lot of ambiguity and can be considered disingenuous. It is a bunch of parts after all. It's not a bike as it is, because it can't be ridden as is. Then it hit me! What makes It "bike parts" as opposed to a "bike"? Answer (IMHO): the ability to be "ridden". And so, I began to make my plans and argument for future flights with my S&S bike. In the future, I will not have some critical parts in the case. Maybe the chain, seat and/or handlebars- they'll go in my other checked bag or carry-on. Then it truly is just "bike parts".

One could take it even further by only putting in the wheels, frame, tools and components that could be scrutinized and deemed weapon-like (think crankset) in the S&S case, with clothes stuffed in large zip-loc baggies throughout the case. Then put the rest of the components in with the carry-on or second checked bag.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:13 PM

Next time just say "sports equipment."
Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM
head to toe Assos

You're really overthinking this.
Usually when I have an 8 hour flight i like to stare at the seat in front of me and think about all the things I f****d up in my life. It's a good time for reflection. Not for creating problems that don't exist.
When I was working overseas I was taken to the little room many times because my visa situation was peculiar. They're really not interested in your bike.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM

and then they asked, "what's in your trousers?"

and you said

Guns!

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#33
Old 09-29-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
Usually when I have an 8 hour flight i like to stare at the seat in front of me and think about all the things I f****d up in my life. It's a good time for reflection. Not for creating problems that don't exist.
When I was working overseas I was taken to the little room many times because my visa situation was peculiar. They're really not interested in your bike.
Maybe a little bit.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:29 PM

I had to do that on a commuter train once. I didn't realize that bikes were banned on rush hour, and I had to get into NYC from Connecticut, but each time I'd get on the train I'd get immediately kicked off.

So, yup, I put the saddle/post in my bag, took the wheels off, and boarded the next train. The conductor immediately said, "you can't bring that bike on here" and I just said, "it's just bike parts!"

i put the frame on the overhead rack, held onto the wheels, and still made my date in the city.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
I love it!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
.....As I thought about the exchange, I realized my answer had a lot of ambiguity and can be considered disingenuous. It is a bunch of parts after all. It's not a bike as it is, because it can't be ridden as is. Then it hit me! What makes It "bike parts" as opposed to a "bike"? Answer (IMHO): the ability to be "ridden". And so, I began to make my plans and argument for future flights with my S&S bike. In the future, I will not have some critical parts in the case....
You wouldn't happen to work for the Clinton campaign?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:47 PM

If asked I declare my packed S&S as bike parts with a clear conscience, but take out 3rd party insurance whenever I fly with it.

If you read an airline's fine print on checked baggage damage liability (OK, I've only read United's when they trashed my brother's Lynskey, but assume most others are the same) you'll see where declaration of contents, and packing method for that matter, come in. Didn't declare it was a bike? Airline not liable for damage. Packed it in a soft-sided case? Airline not liable for damage. Granted the minute you admit it's a bike, even in a < 62" case you'll probably be hit with the $150-$200 bike fee. It doesn't take too many bike fees to add up to a new or repaired frame.

My brother declared it was a bike, but was using a popular softsided case. United bent a seatstay and declined liability because of the case he used (as stated on their baggage page).
Old 09-29-2016, 03:48 PM
head to toe Assos

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...34052249,d.dmo

Found it.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Dude, thems fightin words.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Please keep the politics out of this discussion
Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
I was flying home to PDX this morning, from Stuttgart, Germany and the German check-in agent asks me "whaz iz in zee box?" I stone-faced answered, "Bike parts". She looked at me accusingly and said, "bike parts, but not a bike???" I said, "jah, not a bike". She then checked me in for my flight without further ado.

As I thought about the exchange, I realized my answer had a lot of ambiguity and can be considered disingenuous. It is a bunch of parts after all. It's not a bike as it is, because it can't be ridden as is. Then it hit me! What makes It "bike parts" as opposed to a "bike"? Answer (IMHO): the ability to be "ridden". And so, I began to make my plans and argument for future flights with my S&S bike. In the future, I will not have some critical parts in the case. Maybe the chain, seat and/or handlebars- they'll go in my other checked bag or carry-on. Then it truly is just "bike parts".

One could take it even further by only putting in the wheels, frame, tools and components that could be scrutinized and deemed weapon-like (think crankset) in the S&S case, with clothes stuffed in large zip-loc baggies throughout the case. Then put the rest of the components in with the carry-on or second checked bag.
Lie, or don't. The agent has no time or patience for a tortured logic argument, you won't win (or you will, but not from brilliant debating jiu jitsu but rather who you're standing in front of and what they may or may not have had for breakfast and who's the shift supervisor). They DO care what's in the box because of nickel and dimeing charges with baggage policy that are a revenue generator. You got a gift with the question- a cue to not reveal what you knew could be flagged for an extra charge. Airline industry. Eff 'em. All of 'em.

Last edited by zennmotion; 09-29-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 PM

best thread in the world. coming back from spain this past summer, we had a new baby stroller given to us by the inlaws, wrapped up in that green plastic you can pay 5 bucks to have them apply. it looked weird, so we got flagged at JFK and sent to the room where they X-Ray all your sh#t. Pointing at another checked back, they asked, 'do you have anything to declare?' I (externally stone faced, internally all butterflies) replied, "no." The next thing they did was open that bag and remove about $150 in delicious Spanish meats, which went into the bin while they took my passport and looked up all my other flights back and forth from Spain, probably calculating how much meat I'd brought into the country over the past 4 years.

I just picked up Stronzo's S&S Bilenky and hoping to avoid 1) questions, and 2) fee$.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:11 PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7328916.html