Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2015, 04:36 PM

As much as I want a mechanical watch, you can get a 60s accutron spaceview for a pretty resonable price. Add a seiko or citizen nighthawk for daily wear and you would still be well under budget.

I'm pretty sure I would notice, and admire, a clean spaceview.

Me? I've already got a nighthawk and have been eyeing Speedmaster Mark IIs, both original and the rerelease.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1centaur View Post
I wear a Sinn U1 which was overpriced for what it is but I love it.

Before you spend $1k on that 556i, please spend some time watching watch shows on ShopNBC. I am not kidding. There you will see what the guts of the 556i are really worth. An ETA 2824 movement is an entry level automatic movement; a sapphire crystal should be expected on anything over $300, and the bracelet on that model is fairly standard looking. You are paying up for the Sinn name and the German connotation, IMO. I paid up for the U1 because the dial face spoke to me over a couple of years and I learned how much instant readability really meant after having some cooler watches that were a struggle to read. I also liked the U-boat steel thing, as stupid as that is.

IMO the dial face on the 556i is much less distinctive against the competition than the U1. It is by no means a bad face for the use you intend, but it will attract no attention from either watch snobs or watch newbies, and you can achieve the same for less elsewhere.

I say take your time and get something a little more distinctive if you want to send a message with your watch. Go on watch forums and hunt down lesser known German brands, for example. Consider a used watch from a reputable seller if you want more status and don't have the budget. I bet you will be glad if you take your time (call it 3 months) and just look at a lot of watches and read forum comments.
I'm a fan of sinn watches. I don't know about the 556i, but many of the sinns while using common movements are highly modified in house, which is kinda what they are known for. Again I don't know anything about the specific model in question.

I'll second stowa, they have gone up in price in the past few years though.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
Look at Stowa as well.

But bang for the buck, in a new watch, Seiko, Oris
+1 on Stowa. I have these two and both are pretty nice for the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antea_KS_logoneu_croco_lbsc.jpg (63.8 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg Ikarus_neues_Logo_lbbraun.jpg (70.4 KB, 596 views)
Old 02-14-2015, 05:15 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Your desired use and style of dress are factors in choosing the watch. While many people think that a diver or chronograph is fine with a suit, I'm more of a traditionalist and think that they look out of place. I think that a suit is best complemented by a simple watch, though of course that's just my opinion. If your dress will be more casual then pretty much anything goes.

Having said that...

Sinn does make a nice watch. I have owned one in the past and I was happy with the quality.

The Seiko 007 is an excellent choice. You might also consider a Seiko 5 if you want something less sporty.

Vintage watches are often very inexpensive. You can easily find a nice 14k watch for less than the price of a many new stainless watches. IMO they go great with a suit. The downside to vintage watches is that they're often a smaller diameter than what is considered fashionable today.

Just as in buying bikes, if you go with a used watch you can save money. There are a number of places on the net with a good reputation which sell used watches.

And yes, JR59 knows a bit about watches.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:26 PM

I've got an Omega but probably over your budget. I wanted to mention Baume and Mercier. I bought my wife a Tag Heuer when my second daughter was born that kept losing time, it was repaired multiple times over more than 2 years until the jeweler eventually declared it a lemon and gave us our money back. Wife liked a Baume and Mercier, it was less than the Tag, about $2K at the shop (but would move on that price) but Jomashop had it as a deal of the day for less than $1K.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

I have to say I like the Sinn 556i a little better after reading this review:

http://wornandwound.com/2014/08/20/sinn-556i-review/

since the display back and colored rotor gives it some distinctiveness at the price point and I do like the readability.

Watch taste is very personal, as I have observed on this and other forums. Nobody has ever commented on my U1, so most people are just not that into watches, but my experience is that if you dig a look and it stays with you for months, you will be happy to have it. Mistakes are made when you decide to buy quickly on a short-term emotional impression.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1centaur View Post
Nobody has ever commented on my U1, so most people are just not that into watches, but my experience is that if you dig a look and it stays with you for months, you will be happy to have it.
I LOVE the U1.
Have coveted it and almost bought one a number of times
Old 02-14-2015, 05:53 PM

Save your money until you can get one of these. They're not that much over your budget. All in house movement. You will not regret.

http://www.nomos-glashuette.com
Old 02-14-2015, 06:10 PM

OT: Watch suggestions <$1k (Sinn 556i)

You guys are going to get me in trouble here.

I have an Omega Ti Chronometer that I wear as my go-to-work watch and a Tag Gold-and-stainless dress watch but saw the Seiko 007 earlier in this thread and ordered one from eBay.

Now I looked up that Sinn U1 and see there is a Ti version that is calling me with a sirens song...

To the OP, I have two restaurants and spend a lot of time talking to my customers. One of my stores is across the street from an airport and there is a Honeywell aviation division right next to us. The pilots and aviation engineers comment on the Omega but I don't think most people even notice.

I feel a watch needs to be appreciated by it's wearer but I really don't care what other people think of it. Find one that you like and wear it.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF9YR View Post
One of my stores is across the street from an airport and there is a Honeywell aviation division right next to us. The pilots and aviation engineers comment on the Omega but I don't think most people even notice.
If you want to talk their language get the Bremont Boeing. Only $6.5k and made of high-tech stainless steel or aviation grade Ti-64 titanium.

http://www.bremont.com/chronometers/...47-bk#selector

Old 02-14-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
I've got an Omega but probably over your budget. I wanted to mention Baume and Mercier. I bought my wife a Tag Heuer when my second daughter was born that kept losing time, it was repaired multiple times over more than 2 years until the jeweler eventually declared it a lemon and gave us our money back. Wife liked a Baume and Mercier, it was less than the Tag, about $2K at the shop (but would move on that price) but Jomashop had it as a deal of the day for less than $1K.
If the OP doesn't mind, I would like to hear more about Baume & Mercier. The Capeland is similar in features to the carerra and Speedmaster I like at a much lower cost.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxnyrwarrsoul View Post
That is classy. Likewise the Omega Constellation below. Watches like that, imho ooze class.

To the OP, talk to/PM jr59, oldpotatoe of the watch world
Good advice right there!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 PM

OT: Watch suggestions <$1k (Sinn 556i)

The Bremont is very nice but I just built my Eriksen Mtb frame up a couple days ago so I'll have to build up the toy fund again before getting one of those!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Everyone, thanks for the replies!

1Centaur, I agree, I have time on my side so to speak. Waiting has worked out well for me for bike and stereo stuff...it's nice not to need anything

I will take the Oris reference from JR59 seriously since people have strongly recommended JR59's expertise.

the SKX007 that Louis recommended is actually a really fun-looking option and one of my friends just got one recently and is super-happy with it. And the price is low enough that I could pick one up while waiting for something more serious.

Shortsocks, that's a slick watch.

Steveandbarb1, if I was looking for a dress watch, I would just go with a Junghans Max bill hands-down. A kind of left field watch would be an orient bambino although that's not a "serious" watch, it's very nice looking and affordable.

Searching for a vintage Omega seems like a fun way to kill time online, and that constellation is beautiful.

Does anyone have an opinion about the Mido Multifort?

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Cheers!

Mido is another under ratted brand. Normally, well made with work horse movements. Nothing at all wrong with the Orient, just different and not to well known here. There are 100's of watches like this. Well made cases, and bands, with very good movements for a reasonable amount of money. Really, to many to list.

Thanks to all that have recommended me, I'll help where I can.
BTW; being the Old spud of watches is a huge leap, but thanks anyway!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:57 PM

I would stay away from yellow gold or two tone. Not a great look. I do have one rose gold dress watch.

I like the Nomos, but they are all smaller than I wear.

The Bremont Boeing white face is my favorite Bremont, but I am a little worried about the brand after the trouble they got in last fall - claiming to be more than they are. There will be a Bremont rep at a watch event I am going to in two weeks so I will get to look at the Boeing.

Jeff