Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2009, 02:06 AM

* real name, Greg
* where do you live? Boulder County, CO
* explanation of your handle I used to dabble in NORBA sport class mountain biking in an effort to not reach my potential as a power forward
* explanation of your avatar There isn't one, as I don't have one, yet.
* age (general or specific) 37
* occupation Currently Unemployed
* favorite bike Cannondale, but its not a fair question
* what's in your stable? Cannondale 3.0 w/cool Headtube logo of train depot, 63cm c-c (66cm c-t), Cannondale Tandem 63.5cm/53.5cm, Cannondale M2000 22" MounTaiN BiKE, Giant XL OCR1 (too small to ride).
* what bike do you wish you had? Serotta or Zinn custom ti road bike with proportional wheels
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 56mph on a tandem with 575lbs of rider weight on a 1" fork, pulling an 6 month old baby in a Chariot attached. The horrible hills around Dodgeville, WI were not a good time to find out that the Arai drag brake wasn't setup correctly after we had just mounted a brand new rear wheel with a Velocity Dyad rim. Bike shop used lightweight double butted keirin racing spokes that wouldn't have supported just me (and didn't after rebuilding) and hadn't seen very many tandem drag brakes. Very, very scary. I/we had no business towing our little guy. Someone was looking out for us that day as the wheel collapsed on one of the seemingly vertical climbs.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Do I get to double my mileage because I weigh twice as much as everyone else?
* picture of yourself or your ride? Like below, only a lot taller
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Is it true that you have managed to squeeze yourself into a set of Mercatone Uno team bibs?...Well, yes. Pantani was my favorite cyclist and I always wanted to be like him (as much as a 6'7" 375lb man can be). You'd be suprised how much lycra will stretch. To the point of almost being see through. Really I shouldn't wear 'em. Had to add a lot of lycra to the shoulder straps to make 'em long enough.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I love you. The one lie that should never be spoken.
* and, something fun. I just picked up a Mavic 870 triple front derailleur. Woo-Hoo 'tout Mavic' bike here we come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lampre.jpg (15.9 KB, 1111 views)
Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 AM

* where do you live? toronto, canada
* explanation of your handle: it's what my daughter used to say to cheer me on as i pulled her in the trailer
* explanation of your avatar: nuffin.
* age (general or specific): 28
* favorite bike: serotta ti from early 90s, bought off ebay, built two summers ago, haven't stopped riding since.
* what's in your stable? serotta ti; dmr trailstar lt; motobecane fantom uno (commuter all-star)
* what bike do you wish you had? serotta ti built for me with stiffer bb and chainstays, or IF ti crown jewel; also a ti mtb frame that fit...
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 55 mph in combermere, ontario, this spring. been faster on a mountain bike in high school (56 mph), but on a different hill that i still have to check out on the serotta.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? no idea. couple thousand. and maybe a thousand on the commuter. maybe...
* picture of yourself or your ride? hm.
* make up and answer at least one additional question: why are so many people on this forum older, in well-established careers, and a foot taller than i am? it's because fancy bikes taste better when you can afford them, and are more necessary when you're so tall.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: don't know.
* and, something fun: when i was growing up, i remember the fading american dream of being 16 and getting a license and building a junker car or motorcycle in the garage with one's dad, then going for a drive in/on it as the ultimate expression of freedom and stepping into adulthood. from the time that i can remember building things up, they were bikes, they were with my dad, and all good things in my life seem to be connected to the two-wheel culture in some way. this is a great place to be. and i am grateful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0086_1.jpg (89.3 KB, 1085 views)
File Type: jpg S7301428_1.jpg (92.8 KB, 1083 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Tim from Shamrock Cycles

recommended format-

* real name- Tim O'Donnell

* where do you live? The Mountains of Indiana

* explanation of your handle- I am a board member of the Hoosier Mountain Bike Association (HMBA) and I am too lazy to use more than one username on multiple message boards.

* age (general or specific)- 38

* occupation- Framebuilder, husband, occasional stock jocky, and general bon vivant.

* favorite bike- mine

* what's in your stable? Many, many Shamrocks. An old Ben Hur. A Jamis Komodo. A Santa Cruz Superlight

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 100km. Descending Mont Ventoux back toward Malaucene.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Dunno. A lot but not enough.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 AM

* real name - Scott
* where do you live? Le Mars, IA (western part of the state)
* explanation of your handle - Scott ... I live in Iowa
* explanation of your avatar
* age (general or specific) 37
* occupation - business owner
* favorite bike Serotta Fierte (Carbon)
* what's in your stable? Trek 5200, Serotta Fierte Carbon
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 45ish…I don’t even remember when or where
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2500…we can only ride about one month a year here…just kidding.
* picture of yourself or your ride? Attached
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why do people drink diet pop and think they are being healthy?
* what is the biggest lie you've ever) That I look like Noah Whylie
* and, something fun. RAGBRAI ... hands down the best bike week of the year. It is like Christmas and spring break all rolled into one fun time on the bike. Shout out to a great bike shop…Okoboji Expedition. Thanks for the great Serotta.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 PM

* where do you live? Outside Boston
* occupation Engineer
* favorite bike whats not to love
* favorite ride. Leadville to Minturn
* what's in your stable? 2 Moots, a Kish Ti SS, and a Ibis Silk Ti

Last edited by Honey; 06-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Embracing my

Wow Honey, nice fleet

I wish you were my son (or daughter) and rode a 56cm....
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Thanks. Its nice to have a place where people don't think I'm crazy

if you find yourself in my area, and want to go for a spin, just get in touch. : )

Last edited by Honey; 04-07-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Last edited by ChuckK; 02-10-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:08 AM

* where do you live? Rochester, NY
* explanation of your handle: picked it when I joined RBR
* age (general or specific): 29
* favorite bike: Merlin CR Works
* what's in your stable?

1) The Merlin, Centaur/Record build, zondas.
2) 2005 Cannondale 6/13 - first serious road bike, and a great ride - Centaur/zondas.
3) Bob Jackson World Tour - off the peg special, built with mix of all silver record, chorus and centaur with Paul brakes.
4) Leader 735TT - campy with a FSA crank, first bike I built up myself. Frame was a place holder, but turns out its pretty nice, and I don't do enough TTs or Tris to justify upgrading.

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 55 - twice, Descending off of Copper Mountain and Rogers Pass, both in British Columbia on a ride from Vancouver to Jasper in 2008. The logging trucks made it interesting.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2,500... down from past years, but I am in law school...
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I have enough bikes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 9 Icefields2.jpg (100.5 KB, 691 views)

Last edited by topher; 01-02-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Serotta Biased and HSG Luster

Very nice site you have and wonderful birthday rides...PETE

Very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckK
recommended format-

* real name - Chuck Kichline
* where do you live? - Austin TX
* explanation of your handle - Just Chuck
* explanation of your avatar - The Tower - tarot - We live in interesting times.
* age - 62
* occupation - FunEmployed, Self-Unemployed, Social Security Leach - Used to do Engineering Services and CAD Design.
* favorite bike - Just like people, they're all different and have their strengths and weaknesses.
* what's in your stable? - Serotta Colorado II Coors Light replica and a whole bunch more - link to my bike page down in my SIG.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? - Big whoop-de-doo around Canyon Lake around 1990. Forgot how fast that was now.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - 4K miles
* Other hobbies? - Motorcycles, telescopes, clocks, small engine repair - generally making mechanisms work.
* and, something fun. - "It's all just fun."
Old 01-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Real name - Calvin
Where do you live? - Singapore, just arrived September. Before that, Shanghai
Explanation of your handle - sister in law gave it after jumping up on my bed
Explanation of your avatar - Usually Felix The Cat- Magic Bag of Tricks
Age - 57
Occupation - Credit Risk, 30+ years of global experience
Favorite bike - Whichever one I'm riding, building or buying.
What's in your stable? - 1975 Gios Torino, Davidson Challenger, 3Rensho Katana, Merckx Corsa Motorola, Merckx EX Ti, Merckx Genius (made exclusively for the Denver Spoke), Merckx Team SC Domo Frites, Merckx Corsa 753, Lemond Zurich, Lemond Maillot Jaune, Lemond Ti Team Saturn, Basso Astra, Basso Ascot (2), Basso Loto, Marinnoni Giro custom, Corrado Deda 14.5 custom from Liverpool, Chas Roberts custom single speed from London, 1999 Litespeed Ultimate, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago C40 2003 w/o HP, Colnago Master Olympic, Samson keirin (Japan), Kalavinka custom steel from Tokyo, and a BMC SLC 01. Some of these are in storage in various places throughout the US due to moves to Europe, China and now Singapore.
Current stable in Singapore- Merckx EX Ti, Samson Keirin, Kalavinka custom, Colnago Master Olympic and BMC SLC01
Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? - Probably 50mph, various spots, all before 1999.
How many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - 6,400 miles in 2009
Other hobbies? - Reading, eating, drinking and traveling.
And, something fun. - Riding on the streets of Shanghai is safer than in Singapore. Lol but true!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Back At It!

I don't think I ever did this...

* where do you live? San Diego, CA (north county
* explanation of your handle: There are Four Flys in our family now...
* explanation of your avatar: I really like Salsa Bikes...
* favorite bike: Of what I have so far, toss up between my Campeon or my Las Cruces...
* what's in your stable? Salsa Las Cruces, Salsa Campeon, Serotta Concours Ti, Kona Fire Mountain
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? around 50 on Del Dios Hwy in North County San Diego
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2k, not as much as I'd like...
* Other hobbies? Cars, diecast cars, sometimes kayaking if I'm near a good river or lake...

Last edited by fourflys; 01-04-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 PM

* where do you live? New York
* explanation of your avatar: I'm slow
* age (general or specific) 29
* occupation Mechanical Engineer
* favorite bike(s): Huge fan of Brian Bayliss, Kirk Frameworks anything with character.
* what's in your stable? Merlin Extralight, Raleigh Prestige.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 43mph, NY/NJ Border, Route 9W headed toward Piermont.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2200. It was my first year riding a road bike
* picture of yourself or your ride?

the picture was photo-shopped by a co-worker of mine to point out to everyone else how obsessed I am with cycling. I took it in good humor

* and, something insightful?
"I am at my best, when I let the flow of my experience carry me, in a direction which appears to be forward, toward goals of which I am but dimly aware." - Carl Rogers.

Last edited by dimsy; 01-08-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 AM

* real name - Jake Beeson
* where do you live? - Sapulpa, OK
* explanation of your handle - I eat a lot of it and Drink a lot of Dr Pepper
* explanation of your avatar - My daughter
* age - 29
* occupation - Trim Carpenter, Artist
* favorite bike - Giordana Scorpius
* what's in your stable? - Giordana Scorpius, Fondriest Wind, Schwinn Super Sport, a few other Steel bikes not much to brag about
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? -Not sure
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - Not as many as I would have liked
* Other hobbies? - Family, Art, woodwork
* and, something fun. - Bikes

Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 PM

"My Serotta"...sung to "My Sharona"...lol

*real name, Brent
* where do you live? Eastern N.M.
* age (general or specific)? early 40's
* occupation? Pilot
* favorite bike? Serotta Fierte IT
* what's in your stable? Serotta Fierte and Specialized Hard Rock
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 41mph, flatlands of West Texas, last summer.....still not fast enough...need steeper hills!
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2500ish?....just got it last spring
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Riding is the next best thing to flying....my favorite Christmas was when I got a 10 speed roadbike. Used to have a Panasonic DX2000 in college...loved it. Thought it was time to get back into something I've missed....should've done it years ago.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? "OK, I'm not buying anything else for my bike!"
* and, something fun. Biking by a herd of antelope grazing....didn't even spook them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg serotta.jpg (103.9 KB, 937 views)

Last edited by jbsf16; 01-12-2010 at 07:06 PM.