Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2016, 10:04 PM

FYI - I just looked up United's online baggage-policy-for-bicycles page; it's below. Note the bolded parts. At least at United, they are not supposed to charge more than the usual baggage fees for bikes unless the baggage is over-sized or over-weight. Also note that they can screw you out of a claim unless the bike is in a cardbox or in a hard-sided case (so ix-nay on the ase-cay provided by Itchey-Ray). Further note that you have to have your handlebars and pedals fully stowed and in the upright and locked position (or something like that).

Whether they will actually play by their own rules, I don't know.

So here are the actual rules, straight from this here url: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/sports.aspx
United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23 kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $150 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but the first or second checked bag service charges may apply.

The following are bicycle restrictions:
Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed, or
All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material, or
Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box.
If your itinerary includes a United Express flight, please contact United for information regarding aircraft cargo hold limits
United is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material, or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.

Note: Bicycles will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:15 PM

United sucks, company with the highest fees for bikes. Can't imagine travelling with a soft case when I look at all the dents on my Serfas case.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:38 PM
ferro verum est

Last edited by sonicCows; 02-13-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
and then they asked, "what's in your trousers?"

and you said

Guns!

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#33
And I am reminded of "Full Metal Jacket."

"This is my rifle, this is my gun..."
Old 09-29-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
FYI - I just looked up United's online baggage-policy-for-bicycles page; it's below. Note the bolded parts. At least at United, they are not supposed to charge more than the usual baggage fees for bikes unless the baggage is over-sized or over-weight. Also note that they can screw you out of a claim unless the bike is in a cardbox or in a hard-sided case (so ix-nay on the ase-cay provided by Itchey-Ray). Further note that you have to have your handlebars and pedals fully stowed and in the upright and locked position (or something like that).

[/INDENT][/INDENT]
They will play by their rules, but sometimes you have to force them to - either demanding to speak with a local senior manager or calling corporate to demand the same thing. It can become a royal pain in the ass when you're trying to make a flight on time. I had to do this a few times.

A friend (pilot for a private jet company) just traveled on Delta, domestic first class, gold medallion rewards member, and the Delta baggage agent quoted him $200 to check his bike (EVOC case). $150 is the price published on Delta website. He complained, called corporate, and was told $150 is their published policy, but... the final decision rests with the baggage counter agent. He "had words with" the baggage counter agent and was finally charged $150. SO there is an airline worse than United. A counter agent is allowed to make $%&# up at the counter - really?

IMO if you want to fly hassle-free with a bike use JetBlue. Simple $50 if over 62 dim inches and/or 50#. $50 covers up to 99lb limit. All JB employees seem to know the rules - no baggage nazis. Southwest is also $50 but their boarding procedure is a mess. Regardless of airline if it's under weight and under size limit for standard checked bag it doesn't matter if it is a bike - same charge as a standard bag.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:48 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000
This would be a very good way to beat the system.....
And this is your old bike that is beating The System.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fthefox View Post
United sucks . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
They will play by their rules, but sometimes you have to force them to - either demanding to speak with a local senior manager or calling corporate to demand the same thing. . . .

A friend (pilot for a private jet company) just traveled on Delta . . . . SO there is an airline worse than United. A counter agent is allowed to make $%&# up at the counter - really?

IMO if you want to fly hassle-free with a bike use JetBlue. Simple $50 if over 62 dim inches and/or 50#. $50 covers up to 99lb limit. All JB employees seem to know the rules - no baggage nazis. Southwest is also $50 but their boarding procedure is a mess. . . .[/B]
Just to be clear, I was not praising or endorsing United. Just posting their stated policy. Jet Blue and Southwest sound like the winners from what I've heard so far.

My take-away from al this is to: (a) check the airline's policy before booking the flight; (b) print out multiple copies of the policy to be prepared for multiple layers of baggage folks; (c) get to the extra-extra early, just to be safe; (d) get names of everyone you deal with so that you can (e) rat them out by name when you go directly to the top if you get screwed.

And by the "top" I mean the CEO and the Chairperson of the Board of Directors. Will that person actually see it? No. But having the complaint come from that office will carry more oomph than if it came only from li'l ol' schlub you. It couldn't hurt.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:

So here are the actual rules, straight from this here url: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/sports.aspx
United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23 kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $150 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 USD/CAD service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but the first or second checked bag service charges may apply.

The following are bicycle restrictions:
Handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed, or
All loose items must be enclosed in plastic foam or similar protective material, or
Bicycle should be transported in a sealed box.
If your itinerary includes a United Express flight, please contact United for information regarding aircraft cargo hold limits
United is not liable for damage to bicycles that do not have the handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed, handlebars and pedals encased in plastic foam or similar material, or bicycles not contained in a cardboard containers or hard-sided cases.

Note: Bicycles will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed.
I had a delayed flight with a bike under 50 pounds and some hours to kill. It took about 90 minutes of discussion and escalation to the Supervisor. They did not understand the word, "and".....they finally agreed that I should pay nothing....Then, the problem became their system. Once the gate agent answered that it was a bike, she had no way to indicate that it was under 50 pounds AND under the size limit, it was an automatic $150. I told her to lie to the system, tell the software I am checking a cello. That worked.

I now just use BikeFlights domestically.

I try to use Air Canada, British Air, or JAL internationally since last check they do not charge for bikes.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 AM

i did that once, my hard case got opened. oh look, a bike inside. felt like a kid who just got admonished for trying to sneak those yucky vegetables to the dog under the table....

agree that delta is a royal p.i.t.a. with bikes and jet blue the nicest. on more than one occasion a jet blue counter agent has let it slide, just tagging it as oversized luggage. i travel a decent amount for biz and often to the same places, and for the past handful of years i've been very fortunate to be able to keep a bike at family/friends' houses. in the long run it's been cheaper, easier, and since the storage fee is typically beer, that's for sure a win-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Seriously, call it 'sporting goods', 'trade show display', 'personal mobility aid', anything... Just don't tell them it's a 'bicycle'.

Last edited by 54ny77; 09-30-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:51 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
I have answered "mobility assistance equipment" a couple of times in the past. Now I have a big sticker on the case that says 'Olympus Optics' and I haven't been asked since.
I may use that line for my Brompton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I answered that question wrongly and was charged $150 euros.

"Bike parts" is a good way to go.
Yep, the question is "when am I fibbing a bit, or telling the truth?" by declaring it as bike parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Times have changed that much to europe??? looks like south america with a full size bike case is not a problem at all.
This was the first time ever that I was questioned about my "bike parts" answer which caused me to further ponder the exchange, and have this philosiphical discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
If asked I declare my packed S&S as bike parts with a clear conscience, but take out 3rd party insurance whenever I fly with it.

If you read an airline's fine print on checked baggage damage liability (OK, I've only read United's when they trashed my brother's Lynskey, but assume most others are the same) you'll see where declaration of contents, and packing method for that matter, come in. Didn't declare it was a bike? Airline not liable for damage. Packed it in a soft-sided case? Airline not liable for damage. Granted the minute you admit it's a bike, even in a < 62" case you'll probably be hit with the $150-$200 bike fee. It doesn't take too many bike fees to add up to a new or repaired frame.

My brother declared it was a bike, but was using a popular softsided case. United bent a seatstay and declined liability because of the case he used (as stated on their baggage page).
So if I declared bike parts, and let's say for argument's sake it was only the frame, wheels in the hard side S&S case. If the airline damages the frame, they should still be liable. If it was a cello, and they damaged it, they're liable- declared or not. But I know the distance between "should" and "are" can be as vast as an ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
But doesn't that mean they'll let you use an oversized (think Amtrak) styled cardboard box where you just remove the pedals/handlebar and roll it in? If it's as easy as roll-on/roll-off it's not that bad a policy if you're going only on a bike tour
Absolutely. The discussion is about when do you get charged the bike fee. The Amtrak style cardboard box will likely get charged. The S&S shouldn't. You can bring your bike in any case you want. Or even in no case at all, depending on the airline. My wife and I flew our CX/touring bikes to Estonia from Stuttgart on Lufthansa and we just rolled it to oversize baggage check-in. They rolled the bike onto the plane's cargo hold. We didn't get charged at all because it was our only "checked bag."

Quote:
Jet Blue and Southwest sound like the winners from what I've heard so far.

My take-away from al this is to: (a) check the airline's policy before booking the flight; (b) print out multiple copies of the policy to be prepared for multiple layers of baggage folks; (c) get to the extra-extra early, just to be safe; (d) get names of everyone you deal with so that you can (e) rat them out by name when you go directly to the top if you get screwed.
JB and SWA are great airlines, but can't bring you and your lovely bike to ride the Stelvio, or Mont Ventoux.

Great idea about printing up the airline policy!! Sad we would have to show them how to do their job though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Then, the problem became their system. Once the gate agent answered that it was a bike, she had no way to indicate that it was under 50 pounds AND under the size limit, it was an automatic $150. I told her to lie to the system, tell the software I am checking a cello. That worked.
Brilliant!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 AM

“Bike Parts” lol good tip will use next time…

Hey if you want to have some fun with the airport Gestapo, paint some rocks and throw them in with your stuff. Then when Chester rummages through your junk and picks up a heavy tinfoil covered object and asks…

Goebbels- Was ist das?
Me – A rock
G – Vai do you have a rock in tin foil?
M – I paint them
G – Vat?
M – Yes I paint them, I am the creative type I find cool rocks and paint stuff on them. I like arts and crafts. Ever been to Michaels?
G- Ok you can go, cool bike!
M – I know, Danke!
Old 09-30-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyTirando View Post
best thread in the world. coming back from spain this past summer, we had a new baby stroller given to us by the inlaws, wrapped up in that green plastic you can pay 5 bucks to have them apply. it looked weird, so we got flagged at JFK and sent to the room where they X-Ray all your sh#t. Pointing at another checked back, they asked, 'do you have anything to declare?' I (externally stone faced, internally all butterflies) replied, "no." The next thing they did was open that bag and remove about $150 in delicious Spanish meats, which went into the bin while they took my passport and looked up all my other flights back and forth from Spain, probably calculating how much meat I'd brought into the country over the past 4 years.

I just picked up Stronzo's S&S Bilenky and hoping to avoid 1) questions, and 2) fee$.
did they just throw away the meat and let you go? Or did you get some other fine or punishment?
My ski boots smell like italian speck...
Old 09-30-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Please keep the politics out of this discussion
Yeah , who cares about the fate of the World. Just saying, sometimes rules need to be broken for all our sakes, this is not simply a he said she said issue.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 AM

Did you get those special Spanish meats from the Carniceria Contador by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyTirando View Post
best thread in the world. coming back from spain this past summer, we had a new baby stroller given to us by the inlaws, wrapped up in that green plastic you can pay 5 bucks to have them apply. it looked weird, so we got flagged at JFK and sent to the room where they X-Ray all your sh#t. Pointing at another checked back, they asked, 'do you have anything to declare?' I (externally stone faced, internally all butterflies) replied, "no." The next thing they did was open that bag and remove about $150 in delicious Spanish meats, which went into the bin while they took my passport and looked up all my other flights back and forth from Spain, probably calculating how much meat I'd brought into the country over the past 4 years.

I just picked up Stronzo's S&S Bilenky and hoping to avoid 1) questions, and 2) fee$.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Did you get those special Spanish meats from the Carniceria Contador by chance?

LOL!! Funny scheisse!!!