Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2016, 09:21 PM

Rear Mech (Record vs Centaur)

Hello all

In terms of quality of build and operation, what is the better rear mech -

Centaur or Record

Circa 2006

?

Can the Record derailleur replace the Centaur one without any compatibility issues?

Splash

Splash
Old 09-28-2016, 09:36 PM

Record.

Centaur is fine, too. They're interchangeable as to function, for 10 speed, based on the year.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Hello all

Centaur or Record

Circa 2006

?

Can the Record derailleur replace the Centaur one without any compatibility issues?

Splash

Splash
If 2006..Record ti bolts, carbon body and cage...Centaur all aluminum..Build 'quality' the same. Each completely intercompatible.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:41 PM

Thanks gents.

Splash
Old 09-29-2016, 08:45 PM

I actually prefer Centaur to Record/Chorus carbon 10 - for durability. It's only 40g heavier than Record but much less likely to break. My favorite C10 RD is the 2000-2003 AL Chorus: only 25g heavier than 2006 Record but no fragile carbon bits.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 PM

I agree with above. Nothing really "better" about Record VS Centaur. it is a tad lighter. I've got both, plus the last Chorus 10's model.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:36 AM

thanks boys
Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I actually prefer Centaur to Record/Chorus carbon 10 - for durability. It's only 40g heavier than Record but much less likely to break. My favorite C10 RD is the 2000-2003 AL Chorus: only 25g heavier than 2006 Record but no fragile carbon bits.
I gotta mention, that altho I am a Campagnolo fan boy(really? Shocking), when I got my EPS group for my Merckx, I got Athena..because it was all aluminum, ders, crank, etc, rather than carbon..
Old 09-30-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I have never found that the carbon bits on most Campy components to be any less durable than their aluminum counterparts....Of course, they are pretty beefy. I suspect that most of the weight savings on an example like the Record vs. Chorus derailleurs mentioned comes from the titanium hardware on the Record version....It's all rock solid stuff.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:47 AM
aka RAEKWON

/\ same here till the piece that gets pressed into the carbon part of the carbon of the rear derailleur and is used to thread the bolt that holds the derailleu cable came out. This would have not happened on a non carbon derailleur. That said, I had never had a problem before so I think it was a solo case
Old 09-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Hello all

Centaur or Record

Circa 2006

Splash
FYI I have Record, Chorus, and Centaur rear derailleurs from the same era. I originally had Record, got Chorus for a back up bike (or maybe the other way around), and got Centaur for the Missus's bike with the idea that it would act as a last ditch spare parts source - her whole road bike was built to be a source for spare parts. Even our tandem was set up with 10s Ergo levers (9s Shimano otherwise) as a source for spare levers.

The truth is that when you're riding/shifting you won't be able to tell which derailleur is which. It's only when you look at it or, later, when the derailleur gets older.

The only real difference will be rate of wear, or, put in another way, how long the new-like performance lasts. Higher quality derailleurs typically cost more but have more durable pivots and the like. Having said that I think a Centaur rear derailleur will last a couple thousand hours.

2007 picture I think, I installed that rear derailleur for the 2005 spring races:

I didn't use the derailleur 2008-2012, when I used a different derailleur across three frames, ending on my black frame. 2013 I got back on it as the 2008 derailleur is still on my black frame. I've been riding the red frame for all but a few rides since. I'm guessing, very roughly, that I have 2500 hours on the derailleur.

Although this picture is from 2015? the bike is set up literally the same, down to the chain. No changes since that picture.

There is no functional wear noticeable in the derailleur. Worn pivots (derailleur gets pulled in a weird direction with first bit of cable tension), shark fin teeth on the pulleys.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:30 AM

My only beef with the centaur derailleur is the barrel adjuster. Many years have a cheap plated adjuster that corrodes and is on the brittle side. The stainless one on the record/chorus derailleurs is much nicer. I've been lucky enough to scavenge the better one for both my record and veloce RD. you can also buy this part new. It's the same as 11spd super record. I was forced to buy one when I had the cheaper version break in shipping.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:12 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
My only beef with the centaur derailleur is the barrel adjuster. Many years have a cheap plated adjuster that corrodes and is on the brittle side. The stainless one on the record/chorus derailleurs is much nicer. I've been lucky enough to scavenge the better one for both my record and veloce RD. you can also buy this part new. It's the same as 11spd super record. I was forced to buy one when I had the cheaper version break in shipping.
thats funny, that barrel is also on the carbon centaur RD I am pretty sure, I had one and it looked funny (no corrosion but was loosing color)
Old 10-01-2016, 10:47 AM

I've used both in 10 speed, i experienced no discernible difference, and currently have a 10 speed long-cage Centaur with no complaints. They're both such amazingly high quality, that it's hard to differentiate.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I have never found that the carbon bits on most Campy components to be any less durable than their aluminum counterparts....Of course, they are pretty beefy. I suspect that most of the weight savings on an example like the Record vs. Chorus derailleurs mentioned comes from the titanium hardware on the Record version....It's all rock solid stuff.

I've seen several broken outer links on carbon C10 RDs, don't recall seeing a broken AL one but I'm sure it can happen.

Stainless adjusters on Centaur RDs and calipers would be a nice improvement but I can generally ignore them in their normal tarnished state.