Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2016, 02:05 AM

Have antares on all my bikes. 00 model on my carbon weight weenie bike, an older kium on a ti and an r5 waiting for a new build. Can't say i can tell much difference between them but i've never done a direct AB comparison. The 00 definitely looks cool tho...
Old 09-17-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Have you tried other Antares models? Anything in particular you like best about the R3? Thx.
I have a bike with the original version R3 kirium rails, and I like that. But the R3 braided rail can be found for only about $20-$25 more than the K version, and is a fair bit lighter and the carbon rails do give a bit smoother ride.
The 00 model are way more expensive, and I don't feel they offer much more than the R3 braided.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:15 AM
No one cares

I've really been wanting to try this saddle as well.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:44 AM

Anyone reading this who has a red/white version they don't need, let me know. I could trade a red/black.
Now, back to opinions for the OP...
Old 09-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
an interesting question - if a saddle is found to not work, do people ever come back to it and re-try later? curious, since I am sure what I did not like early in my road cycling experience I might like now that I have more experience.
Yes, I have done this. doing it with arione now.

but even more noticeable, try the same saddle on a different bike. Antares did not work for me on the roadie deep in the drops, but on the cross bike where im not in drops as much, it felt much better. go figure
Old 09-17-2016, 03:03 PM
needs adult supervision

Does anyone feel the WingFlex feature actually flex? I've ridden an Arione and a Tundra with WingFlex but have never noticed any flex at the edges. Just curious.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 PM

Wanted to like it, didn't buy it.

I ended up with the Arione Donna, the lady saddle, 00 version. Worked great till I broke it. I am a heavy, strong and cheap man so this was unfortunate but not surprising. Now I am back on my old saddle, the Prologo TR. I may go back and try the Antares again, if I can epoxy some carbon fiber into the center.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:28 PM

Best piece ever on saddles: The Four and a Half Rules of Road Saddles
Old 09-17-2016, 07:34 PM

Btw prologo zero has a similarly flat shape. Had one and it felt like it had a little softer padding. Suited me fine but just happen to sell that bike.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:16 PM

I have an Antares 00 on one of my bikes. It works for my butt, but we are all different in that area. Have never felt the "wing" feature activate. It is one good looking saddle. For all my other bikes I use the Specialized Romin Expert. Again, for my ass, it just works and I prefer a cutout.

Last edited by George Ab; 09-17-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
I rode one for a few years and liked it. Now I'm happy on Ariones, Kurve Chameleons and Fabric's Scoop Shallow.

Of course, YMMV
The Scoop Shallow has been an unexpected hit for me. I got one to try after trying the Antares, which was only comfortable for me rides under 2 hours, and I was surprised how well the Fabric worked.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:44 AM

My friend at my LBS had demo's and I tried all three fizik styles, and I liked the Antares VS the best. Thinking of getting another for my second bike when the price drops again.

On my comfort hybrid, I liked the Planet Bike ARS. But didn't work well for long rides on my road bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 09:33 AM
It An't Me Babe

The only way to know is to try it and see. The saddle is of the general shape as flat across from side to side and with a slight tail flip up from front to back. But here are lots of saddles that meet that general shape too.

The attribute that is overlooked is the length of the saddle rails and their position which IMO drastically effects its useability so be aware of how much setback is needed and whether there is seat rail to meet it. For example Brooks saddles I find impossible to set back because the rail doesn't extend under the nose of the saddle. Antares doesn't have this problem and has about 1cm more rail extension fowards under the nose compared to a SSM Regale or SSM Era or other comparable modern saddles.

Without getting into a fit discussion I'd add that saddle comfort is also wholly dependent and interrelated to saddle-to-bars reach and handle bar drop. Because these factors dictate your torso alignment and hence your pelvis angle into the saddle. You will have limited success fixing a saddle problem by simply changing saddles when the saddle discomfort is just the last link in a faulty causal chain of entire your fit & position.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:09 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

Without getting into a fit discussion I'd add that saddle comfort is also wholly dependent and interrelated to saddle-to-bars reach and handle bar drop. Because these factors dictate your torso alignment and hence your pelvis angle into the saddle. You will have limited success fixing a saddle problem by simply changing saddles when the saddle discomfort is just the last link in a faulty causal chain of entire your fit & position.
Yup. All just pieces of the puzzle. Getting all the contact points in sync really makes the bike disappear under you. Get one wrong and it effects all the others.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
The only way to know is to try it and see. The saddle is of the general shape as flat across from side to side and with a slight tail flip up from front to back. But here are lots of saddles that meet that general shape too.

The attribute that is overlooked is the length of the saddle rails and their position which IMO drastically effects its useability so be aware of how much setback is needed and whether there is seat rail to meet it. For example Brooks saddles I find impossible to set back because the rail doesn't extend under the nose of the saddle. Antares doesn't have this problem and has about 1cm more rail extension fowards under the nose compared to a SSM Regale or SSM Era or other comparable modern saddles.

This is true. I've ridden Ariones for years, then after an extended time off the bike with fitness in the toilet they felt pretty uncomfortable. But- my point here- the Arione models all have very long rails and front/back adjustments make a big difference as to where you sit, reach to the bar etc- so don't give up on the saddle too early, especially if you prefer flat saddles. In my case, rather than the obvious solution for getting comfortable (get out and ride and improve my fitness!) I played with adjustments, getting to a better position by taking advantage of the Arione's long rails, moved the saddle forward a little less than 1cm, and dropped the nose so it's about 5-10mm lower than flat (using a bubble level sitting on top). It resulted in my sitting further back where the saddle is a little wider, and effectively reducing my reach to the bar just a bit, and lowering the front just a few mm's felt like less bar drop- and the saddle was comfy again, adjusted for the new reality of a reduced level of fitness and flexibility.