Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric View Post
I have no idea why I didn't think of doing this. I have an SA on the tandem which is flaring as you describe. I was going to transfer the skin from another SA which lived a very short life due to bent rails. I'll try your idea first.

I also have a Rivet on my Mini Velo which replaced the bent rail SA, I have a bit more confidence in it's construction.
Go for it! two things: 1) use something that removes leather, e.g don't just use a nail or an awl. I used a drill because I have one, and I reamed each hole out carefully, with a very small (3/16?) bit, and then used an awl to press any flaring leather back 'in.' And 2) the saddle will feel VERY different at first: firm and not flexy at all. I was worried and thought I'd made a mistake. But with a week's rides (maybe 180 miles), it's settling in and getting more comfortable. Breaking in, I guess. I left the laces long so I could adjust them, and I'm going to snip them off once I'm confident this won't budge.

I looked at Rivets, too, after the comments above, and may try one for another bike soon. But first I'll see how this goes for a little while. So far so good. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 PM

Snip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Tom Milton, the founder of Selle Anatomica died in 2010. The legal battle between his partner and his legal heirs went on for several years. I think Rivet came into existence in 2012 when she lost the fight to keep the Sella Anatomica assets and design so she took what she said were Milton's ideas for future improvement to his design and began Rivet.
I rode much of the 2010 Devil Mountain Double with Tom Milton where he suffered the fatal heart attack. Among the things we discussed on that ride were his joint bamboo frame project with Parlee and improvements to SA saddles. At the memorial service, the family was saying that they wanted Deb Banks, Tom's girlfriend, now Rivet owner, to have SA. Obviously, they changed their minds.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:16 PM

I'm on my third year with an SA and absolutly love it. It has changed my cycling like no other piece of gear. I've been riding for almost forty years and none of my saddles have ever felt this sublime. I have over a dozen hanging on my garage wall.

However.....I am 136 lbs soaking wet and that may well be why I have not had the stretching problems that others have had.

I may try their new Carbon model some day...but right now they are a bit pricey.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 PM

I have two SA's. The first one has the non-cromo rails and I've had issues with those bending twice. It's now relegated to the road bike and doing fine. The newer one (bought during the 1/2 off holiday sale) has the newer rails and has been fine on my all-road (road, singletrack, whatever) bike.

They might be heavy (as some say), but they allow me the setback I need and they are oh so comfortable. The first one has never stretched (bought it used on Paceline) and the second one is just breaking in.

Very interested in trying out the new version...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 PM

I have a couple of the older Titanicos (not X), from one or two generations ago. They do exhibit the stretching that others have talked about but they just disappear under my rear end. The skirts flare out too, but I never really felt any thigh irritation or anything like that.

I'd like to try the newer, shorter versions as long as they are not the reinforced X-type Clydesdale models.

I also have a Rivet Pearl which is nice but closer to a Brooks B17, but more comfortable IMO.

KJ