Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 08:40 AM
Vendor

New Giant TCR (2025)

This was announced a few days ago and as the forum's self proclaimed #1 TCR fanatic (not just fan, but bonafide full blown and yet completely objective fanatic), I figured I'd take it upon myself to post about it.

I'm of two minds about this latest 10th iteration of the bike.

Mind #1: I think the previous iteration was the most beautifully shaped modern road bike on the planet. A refreshingly classic and classy shape, with modern aerodynamic optimization and cutting edge carbon fiber technology subtly integrated into its immaculately sleek and perfectly proportioned form (can you believe I'm not on Giant's marketing payroll?). So I was thrilled to see that the brand new bike maintains ~97% of that sculpture, to me eyes just flattening out the back of the seattube, widening the fork legs, and slimming the seatstay/seattube bridge, the latter of which they were able to do since there will be no rim brake version of this frame. Basically, my favorite looking bike now looks even better, and it's a little lighter and faster because of it. Hurray! The cockpit has now been integrated, but it's very similar to what they did with the new Propel, which I can say firsthand is simple to work with, a well thought out system.
I was so scared that they'd ruin this frame by following the 'bike design via spaceship design' zeitgeist. They didn't. This is perfect.

On the other hand, we have
Mind #2: They didn't do enough. Kind of like the difference between a Tarmac SL 7 and SL 8, the differences in frame shape and claimed performance gains are small enough that this if I currently owned an MY2021 - MY 2024 TCR (this new one is MY2025 --I know, I know), I wouldn't be rushing out to buy this new one, leaving a trail of uncontrollable desire-induced saliva behind me.

But then we have mind #3 (bonus mind!): So much of the difference between iterations of this bike have always manifested not in the shape but in the carbon engineering --never mind the weight/aero improvements, each iteration has always felt soooo much better than the last, and that's what has me excited to try this new one. The current Propel felt a lot stiffer and more instantaneous than the 'outgoing' TCR. If the new TCR achieves that instantaneously reactive feeling while maintaining its perfect aesthetics (to my eye 'n mind), then I'll be over the moon.

On the subject of TCR vs Propel: I think the Propel will still be the faster bike. I rode one last year and it was easily the fastest and most reactive bike I've ever ridden, and the ride quality and handling were up there with the very best too. It was the *best* bike I've ever ridden, by a stupidly wide margin. Unfortunately, I just didn't like the way it looked, so I sold it. Frankly, to me, it makes no difference if a bike requires 280 watts or 290 watts to hold 28 mph on the flats (totally made up numbers there, but you get the point), so the differences in speed between the TCR and Propel are moot. For the consumer, I think it'll come down to one thing: Do you want the fastest bike? Get the Propel. Do you want the sliiiiiiiightly less fast bike if you prefer the way it looks? Get the TCR. By and large, a difference of aesthetics.

I'm getting in line for the Opal frameset (the marble white one at the bottom of this post). Building it up with the Cadex Max 40 wheels, a Red 1x drivetrain (48x10-44), purple bar tape, and viola! Hopefully my last big road bike purchase for the next 5 years.

[IMG]tcr sl lava by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]tcr pro 1 by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]tcr sl black by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]tcr sl opal by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]tcr sl opal 1 by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-07-2024, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Baron,

It's nice to see some youthful enthusiasm for a new bike release. Good for you, keep up the positive attitude and get that new bike!
Old 03-07-2024, 08:52 AM

The opal and lava are nice finishes!
Old 03-07-2024, 08:53 AM

Watching a few review so it, other people seem to agree that "they didn't do enough". But to keep the vibe of the TCR pure, I get it. Every new version doesn't need to be an entire floor-up redesign; that's called "a different bike entirely".

I've never owned a Giant, but I don't see anything NOT to love on this TCR.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:54 AM

Giant's been really killing it!
I really like the new Defy Advanced!
Old 03-07-2024, 08:56 AM

The TCR has always been awesome. I had one back in the day and won some races on it. Giant is always underrated IMO, mostly due to marketing and/or not having tight standards for their shops.

It looks great, but I do think the pictures look hilarious. I know you want to jack the seat up to make it look like the most flexible rider ever is riding it but those pictures look like the person riding it is not human. It's like they took a 56cm frame and assumed the guy riding it had a 100cm seat height.

Could be optical illusion too but it still looks weird.

I am really not sure how much they need to change any of these bikes.. it's a 20+ year old bike at this point and they've obviously got different bikes like the Propel for different purposes.

Bikes are outrageously mature. A 10 year old TCR of a similar level is not "limiting" anyone.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:10 AM

As a TCR fanatic, I think it looks great and I’m kinda glad they didn’t change it up TOO much. If it’s ain’t broke don’t …. You know the saying.

Maybe if I ever decide to road bikes again, I’d def be looking into another TCR!
Old 03-07-2024, 09:27 AM

These are gonna be great machines. The Team ONCE legends version that will be released in some markets looks awesome. I had the original back in 99/2000?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4952.jpg (28.1 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by Caballero; 03-07-2024 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:27 AM

As a new owner of a 2024 TCR I'm glad there wasn't a huge change. Would I take a new 2025 over my 2024? Sure. Would I be willing to pay the difference to make that happen? Not anytime soon.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:09 AM

I agree with many that say there is not a need to reinvent the wheel every year.

That is basically how we ended up with the hot mess we now have in Cycling but...I know the bleeding edge likes/needs to bleed

That aside I always thought the TCR was a great looking carbon bike. I kinda like that Opal finish too!
Did not see any mention of the rim brake version SL frame they offered last year & wonder is that is sadly gone now
Old 03-07-2024, 11:16 AM

Appreciate the insights and thoughts about this bike. The one thing I don't love is the integrated seat mast. If I was in charge of approving the newest model, I would have to be convinced that it drastically improved the ride quality in order to use that design.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Appreciate the insights and thoughts about this bike. The one thing I don't love is the integrated seat mast. If I was in charge of approving the newest model, I would have to be convinced that it drastically improved the ride quality in order to use that design.
Then do what I did and buy one with a seatpost
Old 03-07-2024, 11:22 AM

I think Giant and Specialized hit it just right with these updates. There’s just enough change to steer you to the new model if you’re in the market, but not enough to drive me at least to feel like I need to trade up.

The pressure to change has led Trek and Specialized to do bad things.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:25 AM

It looks like the only version with this seatmast is the Advanced SL so plenty of options if you want a seatpost.

If you want the one with a Seatpost I bet there is going to be a very minimal difference between the Advanced SL and the Advanced Pro.

Probably something like spend $2000 extra on the SL to save 50g, that kind of thing.

Last edited by benb; 03-07-2024 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:42 AM

I had a TCR Advanced SL and I think they are highly underrated and a vg value. It did a lot of things better than my F10, and some not. I think the brand just does not have the sizzle some want ala some euro brands.

I'd consider going back to the TCR for my next bike.