Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Sugar-free electrolyte replacement powder recommendation?

Am looking for electrolyte replacement powder that doesn't taste like a cross between cardboard and grass clipping with fake berry essence.

No sugar, and ideally no Stevia either but it seems like that's de facto standard these days (Stevia).

Got any good recommendations?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:24 AM

I'm not up on everything in them, but I've like Nuun tablets. Varying flavors that I've liked, the cola one is probably my favorite.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM

thanks but that has sugar (although a very small amount per serving). am trying to avoid it altogether, made huge change in diet the past 4-5 months and trying to stick to it.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 AM
ergottWheels

Water and take the occasional electrolyte capsule along the way?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:58 AM

sure that works too, got a recommendation on brand and product?

that's what i'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Water and take the occasional electrolyte capsule along the way?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:15 AM

There are a lot out there and many Whole Foods or GNC sell them. As I understand it a trace amount of sugar helps with absorption but I am no expert.

I think the Hammer tablets are sugar free and I tried some samples form Klean Athlete a rep. brought in for us to try.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

that's what i'm after.
Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes is one.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 AM

Go to the grocery and buy "Lite Salt" and add to your water. It's 50/50 sodium chloride and potassium chloride, which makes up 90% of your electrolytes.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

that's what i'm after.
Elete Water. They have various products but the easiest to use is a concentrated electrolyte fluid derived from Utah's Great Salt Lake that you add to water. It is easy to carry the small squeeze bottle and put a few drops or a capful into a water bottle.

A lot of the other electrolyte caps that companies sell do not disolve fully in water. And the recommended dosage for Endurolytes is ridiculous because they contain a piss-poor amount of sodium; so unless you like choking down three or four capsules at a time, if you want to go with a pill solution then you are better off with capsules from a company like SaltStick .

I am partial to High5's Zero tabs. They are five bucks for a tube of twenty and contain no sugar. Flavor is very very mild.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 AM
ergottWheels

Those are better recommendations than I could have made. I have the Endurolyte and have the same complaint about them.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:46 PM

My former team mate, who's a Physician and elite/Cat1 racer, was always going on about using Rolaids as electrolytes in hot humid weather. Something about the enhanced Mg and lessened Na. I've tried them, but not enough to endorse, I tend to go for potato chips since I'm no longer road racing- but ignore that poor advice. Ruffles for the win.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
My former team mate, who's a Physician and elite/Cat1 racer, was always going on about using Rolaids as electrolytes in hot humid weather. Something about the enhanced Mg and lessened Na. I've tried them, but not enough to endorse, I tend to go for potato chips since I'm no longer road racing- but ignore that poor advice. Ruffles for the win.
Ruffles and a Payday all the way!
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Ruffles and a Payday all the way!
Something prophetic about that...
Old 05-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
There are a lot out there and many Whole Foods or GNC sell them. As I understand it a trace amount of sugar helps with absorption but I am no expert.

I think the Hammer tablets are sugar free and I tried some samples form Klean Athlete a rep. brought in for us to try.
Something to do with improving the osmality to speed up absorption.

I pulled this off the Osmo nutrition site:

" There are two key factors for maximizing the rate of fluid replacement. First, what you are drinking needs to be less concentrated than your blood. (Technically speaking, it needs to have a lower osmolality, which is the measure of solutes in a solution. Blood sits around 285mOsm.) Second, you what you are drinking needs to have the right substances to facilitate fluid transport: the intestinal cell membranes use sucrose, glucose, and sodium as facilitators to get fluid across the cell membranes. [Check out Hydration is Power for a deeper explanation.]

By keeping the solute concentration lower than the osmolality of the blood, Osmo Active Hydration capitalizes on the body’s physiological response to pull fluid out of the GI tract and into the places it needs it, namely the blood and the muscles. Osmo’s glucose-sucrose ratio plus the sodium citrate in the formula increase the rate of fluid absorption, which keeps your body temperature lower and your muscles functioning. And because you don’t have all that fluid in your GI tract, you’re a lot less likely to have bloating and gastrointestinal distress that come with higher concentrated sports drinks.

The typical sports drink has five to six percent carbohydrate solution, which results in a higher solute concentration than in blood. Many “liquid calorie” product have much higher solute concentrations than that. When you ingest a liquid that has a higher solute concentration than blood, the fluid stays in your stomach, and the body actually draws body-water out of the blood to dilute the solution. So water moves out of the blood and muscles, causing dehydration, and into the stomach and digestive system, which causes GI distress. And even though many sports drinks include sodium and sucrose, which should aid in fluid absorption, the higher osmolality of the drinks means the sodium and sucrose actually facilitate fluid movement into the intestinal tract rather than out of it."
Old 05-10-2018, 03:23 PM
mentholated

i was always under the impression that the sugar in gatorade acted as a diuretic and dried you out. i still drank it by the jug when i was in the pool swimming for 4 hours a day in high school because i didnt know any better. my blood sugars remained relatively stable.
once i started cycling, i would use a scoop or two of heed in my bottles. but heed would give me the worst blood sugar spikes. nuun tabs worked a little better in that department. i am unaffected by aspartame taste but even a hint of stevia in a liquid im drinking makes me wanna vomit.
the bike shop i last worked at had three or four unopened cases if those hammer endurolyte salt pills. no one was buying them. i tried them on one ride when it was around 98-100deg outside and didnt really notice a difference in how i felt before or after the ride with them vs with just water. mentioned above,the amount you had to take was kinda outrageous. so i never tried them again.
old guys at the shop still drink warm flat cans of coke after they get done with the shop rides. because its what they did a million years ago. the lack of carbonation makes it easy to drink without burping and the sugar/caffeine peps you up.
i just stick to water and bananas. which is totally not what youre looking for.

Last edited by GOTHBROOKS; 05-10-2018 at 03:29 PM.