Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Steel and single!

I know there are a ton of variables involved with crashing that impact your bike's survival, but man I'm impressed (yet again) at my cheapo steel single speed's durability.

So silly move on my part, but I'm coming down a steep path leading out of a park, that I sometimes cut through on my way to work in the morning, when I decide to turn left off the path cutting the corning to the side walk. There is enough of a lip from the dirt the concrete that it catches my tire turning my handlebar sideways immediately. Somehow, like a ninja, I've unclipped and landed on my feet with a slight run stopping before I end up on the street. the bike slams to the ground with a loud clanking thud. I do an applause and bow for the runners in the park who cheered my ability (luck) on landing on my feet.

When I go to check on my bike it only has some scrapes, a small tear in the bar tape and the drive side pedal has a bolt loose on the platform side. I'll double check before I ride home, but man oh man that's not bad!

Just got to love steel durability and single speed simplicity!

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 PM
ZhugeLiang

J-pal, I considered this test inconclusive because the rider chicken out at the last minute. Next time, can you maybe er...ahem...follow through with the crash and then come back and tell us about it?

Glad you are ok.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
J-pal, I considered this test inconclusive because the rider chicken out at the last minute. Next time, can you maybe er...ahem...follow through with the crash and then come back and tell us about it?

Glad you are ok.
Haha! A captain always goes down with his ship! I'll report back on that next time.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com