Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Lanterne rouge

I like the NASCAR owners takes.

Be respectful or you are fired.

I couldnt protest at work without the risk of being let go. Thats the bottom line.

Page two.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
I wonder if any of these athletes would kneel during the anthem after having received a medal at the Olympics? Doubt it. A national anthem played at a sporting event is a tradition in just about every sport around the world. It doesn't play well that these guys are dishonoring the flag of a country that allows them to earn millions to play a child's game. They can say they aren't dishonoring the flag until they're blue in the face, but, that's not how it looks to a lot of people. I really don't get too worked up about this stuff, but I can see where some people might. I tend to ignore the political opinions of actors and athletes; my default view is that they are mostly morons who live in bubbles.
I think you have to be more specific.
While this is the case for games involving a country's national team, I am fairly certain that in most European countries, they don't play the anthem on the club/league level.
The difference might be a little confusing in the context of a World Series limited to the US and the use of the term "World Champion(s)"
Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 AM

>>I couldnt protest at work without the risk of being let go. Thats the bottom line.

nfl owners supported their workers
We are free society, being FORCED to do something is facist, period
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Steel..what else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post

I couldnt protest at work without the risk of being let go. Thats the bottom line.

Page two.
Nascar has enough problems.....
Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.

Trump thinks it is a disgrace not to stand

Fans can watch, tune out, or express their view.

Workplaces have all sorts of rules. So, do free markets. I vote with my clicker
Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 AM

We're cyclists.

Our peers are killed all the time by inattentive (or intentional) acts.

The system often fails to serve justice to our community.

We don't have the opportunity to protest -- we're amatuers -- we're not on national television every week -- we bitch and moan on thepaceline.

But if we had the ability to bring our plight to a national discussion -- to make people think about it -- to evoke emotion (even if a lot of it is vitriol) -- to impact change -- would you not do *something*?

Maybe Colin Kaepernick could have worn an arm band. Maybe he could have written someone's name on his cleats. Would you have noticed? Would anyone have noticed? Would we be where we are today?

edit: more focus needs to be brought to the 'why' and not the 'way.' stop focusing on the protest -- start focusing on the reason.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:01 AM

How many of these "protesters" are actually doing anything other than taking a knee during the anthem? Are they working in their communities to bring about change? Donating money to the cause? Have any joined in the marches?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
How many of these "protesters" are actually doing anything other than taking a knee during the anthem? Are they working in their communities to bring about change? Donating money to the cause? Have any joined in the marches?
Yeah, they are.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Does losing your job and being blacklisted qualify as "doing something"?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 AM

from 2013 through 2016, i wonder how much of the approx. $16,840,600,000 in annual payroll of the guys who wear tights and run around with a pigskin ball donate to social justice causes.

chew on that # for a few minutes. that's a little over $5.6 billion a year, give or take.

any nfl team annual budget is probably close to triple if not quadruple the run rate of a pro tour squad.

Last edited by 54ny77; 09-25-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 AM

One out of over 200, can you name others?

I guess draft dodging is more patriotic than exercising your 1st amendment rights

It's interesting. I don't think I have an issue with it (my knee jerk was negative tbh)

If, as I understood, the original intent was about police brutality, it's a localized issue (ie the FBI is the national police, right?) but it's morphed into a larger "thing". The militarization of the police is crazy though.

As stated, the President's comment is hypothetical: "..wouldn't you love to see an NFL owner.." Which, to me, is a bit like the (minor) uproar over John Lennon's "imagine" which was seen to be anti-God.

It certainly is interesting that players have gotten fined and chastised for American flags on their shoes but not this, though..

Real issues exist in the NFL, this may shed some light on maybe I hope, in no like: holding municipalities hostage over new stadiums costing billions, domestic abuse being tolerated, brain damage from hits being brushed under the carpet, PEDs being tolerated, delayed justice/ignoring felonies, probably some others.

one man's opinion, I'll go ride the bike now..
Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post

Page two.
Let's see 'em fire This Guy
Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Classics Fan

If you are coerced to stand and salute the flag, what meaning does it have?

I personally felt that taking a knee was a pretty respectful form of protest. Much more so than sitting on a bench, or staying in the locker room. As a country founded on the right to criticize the status quo and the government, I feel this isn't a even in the realm of something to be worried about. Honestly, if the president (or any political leader) is devoting even 5 seconds to thinking about what football players are doing during the national anthem, it is a waste of time that could be better spent on the thousands of other issues that are more important to real people's lives.

As for the reason for the protests, one doesn't have to look far.

I enjoyed Mike Tomlin's comments on the matter, but wish he would have gone a bit further. Pulled it all together to say that sports are the ultimate meritocracy and require people from different backgrounds to unite around one goal and work together no matter their background.