Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 AM

OT: NFL and the Anthem -

Sorry, but I wish they would find a different way to protest, whatever it is they are protesting -

I have never been a football fan, so I already don't watch, but apparently that doesn't mean you can avoid it, since its everywhere.

Last edited by Mikej; 09-25-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 AM

How long before it's locked?

Less than a page?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:51 AM
VAV

Yeah, what's up with that nonsense...time to make the NFL great again!!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Sorry, but I wish they would find a different way to protest, whatever it is they are protesting -

I have never been a football fan, so I already don't watch, but apparently that doesn't mean you can avoid it, since its everywhere.
I don't have a dog in this fight -- but I would consider researching the reason for protest before arguing that their method is invalid.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vav View Post
Yeah, what's up with that nonsense...time to make the NFL great again!!
Yep, that's it. No political stuff or you're fired.

Oh... that and they REALLY need harder hitting. CTE is all 'fake news' anyway.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight -- but I would consider researching the reason for protest before arguing that their method is invalid.
This. ^^

Fake patriotism is just that and can't be made compulsory. And the endless military displays at sporting events are over the top and tiresome.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
It appears there are several reasons.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
this. ^^

fake patriotism is just that and can't be made compulsory. And the endless military displays at sporting events are over the top and tiresome.
+1
Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 AM

-The NFL has only had players on the field during the anthem for the last few years, after the government paid them millions of dollars to promote the military.

-Still waiting to hear a 'right' way to protest. These players are citizens with freedoms just like you and I, and are using their national platform to peacefully draw attention to gross injustice.

-Also would love to hear about how kneeling silently is less patriotic than waiting in line for hot dogs and beer, peeing in a trough, sitting on the couch, or booing and yelling obscenities at players, all things that the average football fan is doing during the anthem.

Since this thread has already gone too far, might as well post this tweet from Jason Kander:

Quote:
Patriotism isn't about making everyone stand and salute the flag.

Patriotism is about making this a country where everyone wants to.

Last edited by jtbadge; 09-25-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:27 AM

They have a right to protest.

The owners have a right to fire them.

I just vote with my "Clicker"
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 AM

I wonder if any of these athletes would kneel during the anthem after having received a medal at the Olympics? Doubt it. A national anthem played at a sporting event is a tradition in just about every sport around the world. It doesn't play well that these guys are dishonoring the flag of a country that allows them to earn millions to play a child's game. They can say they aren't dishonoring the flag until they're blue in the face, but, that's not how it looks to a lot of people. I really don't get too worked up about this stuff, but I can see where some people might. I tend to ignore the political opinions of actors and athletes; my default view is that they are mostly morons who live in bubbles.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:37 AM

My knee-jerk reaction? (Canuck here...uninformed, doesn't care for football, somewhere generally on the right..)

Yes - for free speech. If you believe this falls under your first amendment right to protest, go for it. Just make sure you know darn well what you are protesting, and what the potential fallout could be. This also means you are free to be criticized, boycotted, channel changed.

Not going to stand for the anthem? This is your protest? Again, fine, but not everyone is going to research why you are taking a knee, and you are going to upset a lot of people, especially veterans.

I strongly dislike our pot-smoking drama teacher prime minister and disagree with about a dozen of his policies. But when the anthem plays, I stand, because he is not Canada.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
I wonder if any of these athletes would kneel during the anthem after having received a medal at the Olympics? Doubt it. A national anthem played at a sporting event is a tradition in just about every sport around the world. It doesn't play well that these guys are dishonoring the flag of a country that allows them to earn millions to play a child's game. They can say they aren't dishonoring the flag until they're blue in the face, but, that's not how it looks to a lot of people. I really don't get too worked up about this stuff, but I can see where some people might. I tend to ignore the political opinions of actors and athletes; my default view is that they are mostly morons who live in bubbles.
Uh, Tommie Smith and John Carlos in Mexico City?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM
cmg

as to why,

As a team, we have decided we will not participate in the national anthem. We will not stand for the injustice that has plagued people of color in this country. Out of love for our country and in honor of the sacrifices made on our behalf, we unite to oppose those that would deny our most basic freedoms. We remain committed in continuing to work towards equality and justice for all. Respectfully, The Players of the Seattle Seahawks.

The pres can tweet all he wants but there is going to be a answer.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM
needs adult supervision

Who has the right to decide what the anthem means? To some, it's the military. To some, it's national pride. To others, it's the whole complicated history of this country. There are over 300 million of us. The flag and the anthem mean something different to each of us. Imposing one definition on everyone is, well, kinda unAmerican. Protests have never been very popular to those being protested against. How was Sunday that much different from this 60 years ago?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lunch counter.jpg (78.0 KB, 297 views)
Closed Thread