Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 12:36 PM

I know you have a lot of bikes with 42-584. That's a good size. You could ride narrower but it gains you zilch and the wider, supple tires are in their element on a route like this. I rode the C&O with Switchback Hill ELs (with tubes at the time) and it was fantastic. But, never did I think the tire was overkill.

I rode it in the late spring and with the puddles it would have been super messy without fenders. Could be a different story in September. No shortage of small sticks on the trail so you need a generous gap between tire and fender. Camping sites were great and I never had an issue finding the right trees for hanging a hammock. It could sometimes take a few minutes to bring water up via the pump, but I never needed to filter it.

The GAP is well manicured quarter by zero gravel. Luxurious even.

Mark the beginning or end of the C&O with a beer and bowl of crab soup at Baltimore Street Grill in Cumberland.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-22-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Damn, I'll think I'll do the whole thing next Spring. Only got to do the C&O.
Do it! Don't know your camping setup, but I had no trouble finding a place to hang my hammock.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Just a word to the wise: I did it the last week of October one year and it was freaking hot a lot of the time! I brought wool jersey and tights that I never needed at all. We have not had that bad of a summer here so September may be nice and cool, or it might be muggy and hot, be prepared to check the weather right before you leave and pack accordingly. We stayed in "B&B's" of varying degrees of charm along the GAP and in an inn at Harper's Ferry. Had a wonderful time and did a lot of stopping to take pix, read historical markers, go to Falling Water, etc. Would love to do it again.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Include Fenders. I did a section of it memorial day and the people who had done longer sections looked like mud people. A little extra insurance wouldn't hurt
Old 08-22-2017, 06:48 PM

Here's a short writeup that I did just after finishing the ride last October:

C&O + GAP
Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, my coupler bike is a 29er touring bike monster cross thing so I have been thinking about what tire to put on it, definitely fenders, always fenders.

I am halfway between camping or hotels. I don't like making too many plans so I'll probably just bring a light hammock or something. I would really prefer cool weather. I may just Take the train so that I can go last minute based on a good forecast.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 PM

My riding buddy used 29x2.0 Furious Freds with fenders on his Fargo. Super fast tires
Old 08-23-2017, 01:36 PM

i did the lower 60 of the C&O using 25mm conti GP4000iis about a month ago.

was a bit fun at times, but manageable.

my companion had a 32mm Performance brand 'road' tire... had no problems.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, my coupler bike is a 29er touring bike monster cross thing so I have been thinking about what tire to put on it, definitely fenders, always fenders.

I am halfway between camping or hotels. I don't like making too many plans so I'll probably just bring a light hammock or something. I would really prefer cool weather. I may just Take the train so that I can go last minute based on a good forecast.
What's your plan Bicycleman? I'm getting on a train sometime next week in Chicago to Pittsburgh and heading to DC. Taking the train home. Plan to camp the entire way.

:-)
Old 09-24-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
What's your plan Bicycleman? I'm getting on a train sometime next week in Chicago to Pittsburgh and heading to DC. Taking the train home. Plan to camp the entire way.

:-)
A combination of projects at work and a vacation to Hawaii may prevent it from happening this year, depends on how warm it is in late October.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 PM

I say bigger tire the better. When I did it the C&O was in rough shape from cumberland to whites ferry. I had a 32, but wished I had a larger tire.

It's fun! The GAP is a beautiful trail when you get away from Pittsburgh.

Ohiopyle, PA where the GAP runs through is a gem in PA. Take a minute to cruise through town and check out some waterfalls.

Grab some food at the Over The Falls Cafe, right off the trail and across the train tracks.

-Joe
Old 09-24-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
A combination of projects at work and a vacation to Hawaii may prevent it from happening this year, depends on how warm it is in late October.
Sounds like a plan.

Hawaii is cool.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
I say bigger tire the better. When I did it the C&O was in rough shape from cumberland to whites ferry. I had a 32, but wished I had a larger tire.

It's fun! The GAP is a beautiful trail when you get away from Pittsburgh.

Ohiopyle, PA where the GAP runs through is a gem in PA. Take a minute to cruise through town and check out some waterfalls.

Grab some food at the Over The Falls Cafe, right off the trail and across the train tracks.

-Joe
Cheers Joe. I saw your post.

I'll be on my Gunnar Grand Tour with 38's and think it will be just smashing! :-)

Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 AM

The wife and I will be visiting Fallingwater this sat then riding to Cumberland from Confluence. Return the next day. Easy two day trip taking in the most beautiful part of the GAP. Rode from Pittsburgh last year and the Mrs. did not enjoy the Pitt to Ohiopyleofshi$ ride. Funny what they'll tolerate sometimes. I do love the trail and the b&b's.

I did the whole Shebang couple years ago from Pitt to DC. Had some big Continental Touring tires that were overkill for the GAP, but perfect for C&O. Fenders saved my bacon for sure.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
The wife and I will be visiting Fallingwater this sat then riding to Cumberland from Confluence. Return the next day. Easy two day trip taking in the most beautiful part of the GAP. Rode from Pittsburgh last year and the Mrs. did not enjoy the Pitt to Ohiopyleofshi$ ride. Funny what they'll tolerate sometimes. I do love the trail and the b&b's.

I did the whole Shebang couple years ago from Pitt to DC. Had some big Continental Touring tires that were overkill for the GAP, but perfect for C&O. Fenders saved my bacon for sure.
Cheers Clyde!

I have a rock solid Gunnar Grand Tour with 38 Conti Contact II and heavy duty aluminum fenders. The bike is an amazing tank of a touring rig. I've travelled quite a bit by bike over the last 35 years and always enjoy a new route and challenge. I'm excited about 300 + miles on a bike path. I had been planning a route in and around Wisc/Mich but seemed so old and boring. The GAP and C&O have always been on my radar so I just changed plans and decided yesterday to do it.

I'm not worried about the bike in the least. I'm lucky that way!

Thanks for the notes and enjoy your ride!